PDA

View Full Version : Iron-x_Decontamination question

hoyt66
03-06-2016, 01:19 PM
My bright silver car has a couple coats of pinnacle paint sealant on it. I read that iron x works best on bare paint. Here's my plan (paint is clean and in great shape)

1) clay bar ( pinnacle ultra clay)

2) Blackfire finishing polish (to remove sealant in order for Iron X to work best)

3) Iron_X

4) LSP (which this summer will be Pinn Souveran)

Or do I switch 2 & 3?

The Guz
03-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Here's one method that works really well.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/86146-aggressive-approach-washing-car.html

It works even if you don't have a foam gun.

hoyt66
03-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Here's one method that works really well.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/86146-aggressive-approach-washing-car.html

It works even if you don't have a foam gun.

I guess my question is how well will the iron

x work if I don't remove the sealant.

I'm going to clay-iron X-polish

I guess I'll find out :dblthumb2:

kevincwelch
03-06-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm curious as to why one would ever use iron X if you've already clayed. I always thought that iron x was to precede claying in order to make the claying easier.

(Sent via my mobile device)

hoyt66
03-06-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm curious as to why one would ever use iron X if you've already clayed. I always thought that iron x was to precede claying in order to make the claying easier.

Clay for above surface contaminants and iron x for below surface.

Ebg18t
03-06-2016, 03:54 PM

I agree. I usually Iron-X, then spot clay tough spots.

The Guz
03-06-2016, 04:21 PM
I guess my question is how well will the iron

x work if I don't remove the sealant.

I'm going to clay-iron X-polish

I guess I'll find out :dblthumb2:

Don't overthink it. Use ironx before claying. Will make it easier when you clay.

hoyt66
03-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Don't overthink it. Use ironx before claying. Will make it easier when you clay.

I understand now. Thank you for the clarification

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 07:18 PM
I think of it this way...

Claying will pull off the debris sitting on top of the paint that the wash didn't remove. Clay also breaks off any metallic "splinters" in the paint. That leaves the rest of the splinter below the surface of the paint (clearcoat). It also leaves that part of the metallic particle in your clay to have its way with your paint! I Iron X first to remove the metallic "splinters" that i don't want getting stuck in my clay and scratching up the paint. I am hoping it gets down to the depth of the metallic bit i.e. everything including below the surface.

Now to Hoyt's question and it's a good one. Is my existing sealant producing a barrier prohibiting the full effect of Iron X? Has my sealant closed in access to the metal piece Iron X wants to eat? I realize claying removes some of the sealant but all? Why not change #'s 2 and 3? Iron X, for me at least, has never been a marring experience. Claying sometimes is. What would it hurt to insure removing the existing sealant with claying and then polishing to remove what's left and THEN use a ferrous particle remover? I would probably be concerned with leaving ANY trace of Iron X on the paint just before applying a sealant or coating but a complete and thorough flush and a pre cleaner like Eraser or whatever your choice of prewax/sealant/coating paint cleaner should work. No? Another thought of mine is, ok, i've clayed and broken off the metallic bits and pieces. I'm going to polish anyway (i always do after every clay effort) and because i haven't used Iron X first i'll be extra careful to inspect both the surface of the paint and knead my clay AND use fresh pieces more often. I don't see my polish step pulling any metal back up to the surface and causing problems!? Should i be concerned with that?

A good question, Hoyt, and contrary to what's been cautioned already...maybe i'm overthinking this whole thing.

hoyt66
03-06-2016, 07:29 PM
I think of it this way...

Claying will pull off the debris sitting on top of the paint that the wash didn't remove. Clay also breaks off any metallic "splinters" in the paint. That leaves the rest of the splinter below the surface of the paint (clearcoat). It also leaves that part of the metallic particle in your clay to have its way with your paint! I Iron X first to remove the metallic "splinters" that i don't want getting stuck in my clay and scratching up the paint. I am hoping it gets down to the depth of the metallic bit i.e. everything including below the surface.

Now to Hoyt's question and it's a good one. Is my existing sealant producing a barrier prohibiting the full effect of Iron X?Why not change #'s 2 and 3? Iron X, for me at least, has never been a marring experience. Claying sometimes is. What would it hurt to insure removing the existing sealant with claying and then polishing and THEN use a ferrous particle remover? I would probably be concerned with leaving ANY trace of Iron X on the paint just before applying a sealant or coating but a complete and thorough flush and a pre cleaner like Eraser or whatever your choice of prewax/sealant/coating paint cleaner should work. No?

That's what I'm thinking. I know the sealant is very healthy as it is a garage kept car driven occasionally on nice weekends. Like you said I could wrap it up with a paint cleanser before LSP. Looks like I have some fun experimenting to do. Maybe I'll do a little 50/50 test this spring. Apply the iron x on polished paint and apply it on some where the sealant has not been removed. :dblthumb2:

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Not a bad idea and you can see how much purple displays itself as a comparison. Will there be noticeably less on the sealant coated side?

Good question too by the way. I like all sorts of questions like yours to help me figure this stuff out too.

hoyt66
03-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Not a bad idea and you can see how much purple displays itself as a comparison. Will there be noticeably less on the sealant coated side?

Good question too by the way. I like all sorts of questions like yours to help me figure this stuff out too.

Thanks puckman. As soon as this weather in Detroit breaks I'll do it up

GenesisCoupe
03-06-2016, 08:40 PM

I have found that using IronX after claying is not as effective (in terms of the product turning red) as if you were to IronX first, clay after.