PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tips clearance

frankprozzoly
03-06-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm having a hard time cleaning my exhaust tips. I can barely squeeze a towel between them and the bumper. Any suggestions. I was thinking of sliding the towel with some kind of stick.

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 09:28 AM
I have a few various thickness sticks from thick paint sticks to thinner tongue depressers. I wrap them in a MF towel and am able to get them into tight clearances. I've busted a few of the thinner ones with a little too much pressure but they work pretty good. I've even resorted to wooden skewers at times but they don't work too good for working wider areas.

Even a foam core MF applicator i've been able to compress enough to fit in some areas. That sounds like a pretty tight clearance if you have a hard time getting a MF towel between the panel and your exhaust tip. That's usually the last thing i try in like a shoe shine back and forth motion. What vehicle is it?

Also, i like to apply product to both sides of the towel. Chances are with that tight of a clearance you're polishing both sides of the towel with contact. With that said, i go for the less abrasive product and just work it longer. For example, i might be able to wedge a harsher metal cleaner for the exhaust tip but if doing so i'm contacting the painted bumper i want a product that doesn't scar the bumper paint on that side. I don't like dry polishing anything but don't want to scour the paint to get the metal shiny.

About a year ago i actually released the rear most hanger on my wife's exhaust to lower the exhaust a bit for polishing and sealing. Never again. PITA!

frankprozzoly
03-06-2016, 09:45 AM
It's a challenger. The one side is tighter than the other. They're rectangular. It's just a pain trying to squeeze a towel in far enough that I can wrap the towel around the tip then pull it out. So I'm gonna have to push the towel in with a stick

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Ah, ok, i gotcha. Maybe the thinnest towel you have and just work it in as best you can. And a rectangular shape makes it...a challenger! I love the looks of those exhaust tips on your car though.

FUNX650
03-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Frank,

For tight clearance areas like your vehicle's
exhaust...I use body-shop, lint-free towels
like: Kimberly-Clark's Wypall L40...for
applying/removing all manners of products.

Note:
To be sure...I would not jam any
kind of stick into that area!!

Bob

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Thank you, Robert! Great recommendation and i'll check them out also.

FUNX650
03-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Thank you, Robert! Great recommendation and i'll check them out also.
:xyxthumbs:

I've even used them on CC-paint!

Bob

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Wow! Now THERE'S an endorsement. You gots b**** having even tried that. Kinda like the first Cromagnon to actually eat monkey brains (the ole "aw shoot, i'll try it"). And for Frank's purposes they look super thin, at least a lot thinner than my thinnest MF towel.