PDA

View Full Version : How to clean nasty, sticky cloth/felt/thin carpet?

DetailingGeek
03-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Just picked up a Cadillac DTS.. It was pretty neglected. Cleaned up pretty well, but I'm having trouble cleaning some crevices in the interior... Here are the two problem areas:

The door panel pockets are cloth or thin carpet or felt. Not sure exactly what. I managed to clean them fairly well with a toothbrush sized brush and a vacuum. However they still have this nasty sticky feel.

Similar problem with the center console armrest & compartment, except it's worse because the brush is worthless since it doesn't reach far enough down, and it can't get in the corners. I need a dremel attachment or even a strong hand brush that can reach in there. Any suggestions? The lower compartment is pretty deep and hard to get at.

It also has the same stickiness, and a foul odor that I hope will go away (any tips for the odor in case it doesn't go away?)

I tried using my McCulloch MC1275 Steam Cleaner, but that didn't work either. (On a side note, I've been overall pretty disappointed in this model, but maybe I just need to get a stronger commercial one).

Jhold87
03-06-2016, 11:09 AM
I never owned a mc1275 but I just got the 1385 two weeks ago and it's well worth the money. I bought mine from kohl's and with the 30% coupon and kohl's cash got it for 139.00 just thought I'd share that.

vanev
03-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Hard to say without knowing the products you used and the specific type of stains you are dealing with.
I do have some suggestions.

- Search AutoGeek store for a dedicated carpet and upholstery cleaners.
Do your research and choose one you think will best address your needs.

Steamer:
I use a McCulloch 1275.
Also have a second handheld steamer that actually has much better pressure and produces hotter temperatures at the tip.
Highly recommend something like this for interiors.
http://i.imgur.com/HgXFPZtb.jpg

- Look into Kitchen Chemistry.
If all else fails, sometimes, some simple vinegar and water will solve all your interior needs.
There are also other homemade approaches you can take that can do a great job.
Also, when it comes to kitchen chemistry, it is more more important to know what you cannot mix together, than what you can.

DetailingGeek
03-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Hard to say without knowing the products you used and the specific type of stains you are dealing with.
I do have some suggestions.

- Search AutoGeek store for a dedicated carpet and upholstery cleaners.
Do your research and choose one you think will best address your needs.

Steamer:
I use a McCulloch 1275.
Also have a second handheld steamer that actually has much better pressure and produces hotter temperatures at the tip.
Highly recommend something like this for interiors.
http://i.imgur.com/HgXFPZtb.jpg

- Look into Kitchen Chemistry.
If all else fails, sometimes, some simple vinegar and water will solve all your interior needs.
There are also other homemade approaches you can take that can do a great job.
Also, when it comes to kitchen chemistry, it is more more important to know what you
cannot mix together, than what you can.

I tried P&S EnviroClean, Turtle Wax Foaming Carpet Cleaner, and Folex.

Like I said, I just bought the car so I don't know what type of stain I'm dealing with. The best way to describe it is if you've been around a lot of neglected or dirty interiors, it's that sticky grime that just accumulates in crevices. I cleaned a lot of it off the steering wheel, interior plastics, other parts. It's just these felt/thin carpet areas that are giving me trouble. Although they have cleaned up a little, the stickiness won't go away.

That steam cleaner looks perfect for interiors. So what do you use the MC1275 for if you don't use it for interiors?