PDA

View Full Version : Repaints questions

poyo150
03-06-2016, 04:53 AM
Hi everyone I would like to get some more info on cars that have been repainted. My friend is going to get a new door panel and a repaint on his black Nissan Rouge. He is getting it done by the dealer. I would like to know more about this topic but there are a lot of answers scatter around about this topic.

What are the difference between OEM compare to a repainted car?

How to detail repainted cars?

What to expect from a repaint?

Can there be a good and a bad way to repaint a car?

The more info I can get would help out a lot.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Mantilgh
03-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Repaints will vary in quality from painter to painter and the softness/hardness will depend on the type clear coat used.

Basically a test spot will be the only way to know how to work it differently than the factory painted areas. The repaint could be harder or softer than the rest of the paint.

Typically you will have more clear coat to work with on a repaint. It would be really hard to get it as thin as the factory does.

I won't go into the good and the bad ways to repaint a car. All I can say is don't go for the cheapest or best price. If they are inexpensive, they are probably cutting corners somewhere, most likely in the prep area. Since it's the dealership painting it, hopefully they would warrant the quality of the work.

Maybe expect orange peel or lots of holograms.

poyo150
03-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Repaints will vary in quality from painter to painter and the softness/hardness will depend on the type clear coat used.

Basically a test spot will be the only way to know how to work it differently than the factory painted areas. The repaint could be harder or softer than the rest of the paint.

Typically you will have more clear coat to work with on a repaint. It would be really hard to get it as thin as the factory does.

I won't go into the good and the bad ways to repaint a car. All I can say is don't go for the cheapest or best price. If they are inexpensive, they are probably cutting corners somewhere, most likely in the prep area. Since it's the dealership painting it, hopefully they would warrant the quality of the work.

Maybe expect orange peel or lots of holograms.
Thank you for the info. I want to understand more about the concept of repainted cars. I will slowly research more about this topic.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk