PDA

View Full Version : Who here waxes/seals their license plates?

LEDetailing
03-05-2016, 08:41 PM
I got new registration tabs for my 11 month old WI plates. I removed the old tab and cleaned off the residue. Then I got to thinking I should really keeps these plates as nice as possible. Wisconsin still has embossed/stamped plate numbers. Over time the paint eventually fails and separates from the cheap metal plates. I believe WI still manufacturers our plates through the prison system.

I proceeded to wash the plates with dish soap, clayed (front and back), then sealed entire plated with BLackfire Wet Diamond sealant. Plates screws got cleaned and nylon washers placed between plate and screws. I always noticed no matter how careful you tighten plates screws the plate always seems to tear/wrinkle the paint on my plates. The nylon washers prevented this over the last 11 months.

I have always enjoyed the ability to remove parts from cars and clean them off the car. Whether it be license plates, wheels, consoles, seats, carpet, etc. Gives you ultimate access to new areas to detail.

So who here waxes/seals their plates?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-05-2016, 08:44 PM
I coat mine and coat customers when coating their cars.

FUNX650
03-05-2016, 08:45 PM
So who here waxes/seals their plates?
I do.

Bob

WAXOFF
03-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I always wax my plate. It's a vanity plate and I want to keep it nice but PA doesn't allow you to put a plastic cover over it or they will pull you over.

custmsprty
03-05-2016, 08:57 PM
What? LOL.

Ebg18t
03-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Mine are coated.

AGOatemywallet
03-05-2016, 09:12 PM
I tried to wet sand the Orange Peel out of my plates.

LEDetailing
03-05-2016, 09:28 PM
I tried to wet sand the Orange Peel out of my plates.

The "tried" part has me thinking this did not go as planned.

I have always loved the license plate designs of other states. Too bad our Green Bay Packer plates are so hideous or i would have two sets. My all time favorite plate is the bear shaped plates from the Canadian territories. If you haven't seen them before they are cut in the shilloute of a bear. I have never seen one in person.

garageman402
03-05-2016, 09:29 PM
I use 303 Protectant on mine. I noticed the reflector paint fading and cracking from 15 years of sun. I usually remove and clean the plate when I apply the new registration sticker, and I have noticed the blue paint on the raised digits rubbing off on the towel.

Using hot water softens the sticker, and makes peeling off the old one easier. After that I put in over the burner on the electric stove to peel it off cleanly.

Admittedly, I don't re-treat as often as I should, but the blue paint doesn't seem to be coming off as much as before. I just did this today, coincidentally.

Bob

Setec Astronomy
03-05-2016, 09:32 PM
More like who doesn't, right? I mean this is the 'Geek, after all.

BrutalNoodle
03-05-2016, 11:16 PM
If anything, not doing it takes more time. lol

Trying to avoid the plates as you spray your products is difficult. No way you're going to ignore the overspray on the plates...and with that, purposely not cleaning/dry wiping is a sin at that point.

asianisafish
03-06-2016, 12:52 AM
I wax my rear one, but I don't rock the front :)

Joe@NextLevelDetail
03-06-2016, 03:15 AM
I never waxed a license plate lol, I however do clean them, cause if dirty they will make my job look bad.

BillE
03-06-2016, 08:49 AM
I do also.

Every year when I remove the old tab and put on the new...just use an AIO.

Bill

AGOatemywallet
03-06-2016, 12:15 PM
The "tried" part has me thinking this did not go as planned.

The plate is cleared before the numbers are stamped into it and then only the numbers are painted with single-stage

The paint on the numbers is very thin.

I suppose you could try to clear the plate and go from there, but you would still have visible OP under that clear.