PDA

View Full Version : Help/ideas with working with a friend

Bill1234
03-05-2016, 05:58 PM
So a friend mentioned he wanted to learn how to work on his car. Being an autogeek, I felt the inclination to ask if he wanted it.After working out some plans and figuring things out, it will happen in about a week.

Well, it just hit me that he is inexperienced, not stupid, just has not alot of skill here. I want to use him to the best of my ability and dont exactly know how I should go about doing it. Im not getting paid for this but would like to keep time down even with all the work. This is including a one step polish with hd adapt. Im saying this one will take roughly 6 hours but I could be wrong.

So about it autogeeks who have helped out friends, what did you do, how did you get to teach your friend, but also work them to the best of your ability?

vobro
03-05-2016, 06:11 PM
I've done this and most likely it'll take longer than you thinK. Say he's never cleaned wheels or barrels, I'd show him the process,tools and then show him a dirty wheel so he can see what a clean wheel looks like. Same with polish, a 50/50 will have an immediate impact. We all know most people don't see paint imperfections or notice dirty wheels or wheel wells, so I try to compare as we go. By the time you explain why to use car shampoo instead of Dawn or what makes an oil based tire dressing sling it'll add up in your time. If my friend genuinely wants to learn I don't mind the extra time

GSKR
03-05-2016, 06:30 PM
So a friend mentioned he wanted to learn how to work on his car. Being an autogeek, I felt the inclination to ask if he wanted it.After working out some plans and figuring things out, it will happen in about a week.

Well, it just hit me that he is inexperienced, not stupid, just has not alot of skill here. I want to use him to the best of my ability and dont exactly know how I should go about doing it. Im not getting paid for this but would like to keep time down even with all the work. This is including a one step polish with hd adapt. Im saying this one will take roughly 6 hours but I could be wrong.

So about it autogeeks who have helped out friends, what did you do, how did you get to teach your friend, but also work them to the best of your ability?He will probably quit after 2 hrs lol.If he is a true and trusted friend take the time to show him and just make the best of the situation and keep it simple.Time will make him a skilled professional,not one or two days.

Bill1234
03-05-2016, 06:47 PM
He does really want to learn. I am for example thinking about starting with wheels and say I do one and he can do the next and then we can do one each on the other side. We then can move to foam and I can have him brush the vents and emblems.

Maybe I can have him clay too and decon.

I just want to be moving and working and not having one stand

Paul A.
03-05-2016, 07:08 PM
A time saver to consider is to work towards his standard of acceptance. I'm not saying to cut corners but maybe for this first time he would be happy with a wash and a wax. Next time he can get into more, like maybe an AIO or a simple 1 step polish and then wax.

If he wants the whole shebang right out of the gate, show him and then let him do it. Well, most of it.

Bill1234
03-05-2016, 07:52 PM
A time saver to consider is to work towards his standard of acceptance. I'm not saying to cut corners but maybe for this first time he would be happy with a wash and a wax. Next time he can get into more, like maybe an AIO or a simple 1 step polish and then wax.

If he wants the whole shebang right out of the gate, show him and then let him do it. Well, most of it.

I think im going to go for everything here and its set, I just dont know how to use him and me at the same time. As said above we can do double wash, wheel clean etc, but im just wanting to get advice and opinions

Ebg18t
03-05-2016, 09:06 PM
I recently went thru this with a Freind. We spent the whole day going thru everything step-by-step. I would demo, then he would try-practice. It took us the whole day but he was so excited to successfully complete his whole car that he tackled his wife's car today.

The only compliant I got was from his wife, turns out he mistakenly used their joint checking debit card to purchase supplies instead of his credit card, she was flabbergasted with how much he spent. Lol.

Bill1234
03-05-2016, 09:10 PM
I recently went thru this with a Freind. We spent the whole day going thru everything step-by-step. I would demo, then he would try-practice. It took us the whole day but he was so excited to successfully complete his whole car that he tackled his wife's car today.

The only compliant I got was from his wife, turns out he mistakenly used their joint checking debit card to purchase supplies instead of his credit card, she was flabbergasted with how much he spent. Lol.

Okay, so I guess I will have to do a demo and then he can do it. Things like claying and wheel cleaning are straightforward so I think it should not be too bad.

Jay's 128i
03-05-2016, 11:27 PM
As others have said, it will take some time. However, I've taught a handful of people and I've found this method to be the best:

1st) Talk-through method
Before you touch the car, explain what a full detail consists of and what specific products are to be used. Start at washing and end with the LSP.

2nd) Walk- around method
As you're explaining the process, physically walk around the vehicle and point to what you're talking about. For example, when talking about tires explain the tire fully. You'd be surprised at how many people don't know what barrels or wheel wells are.

3) Application
At this point, I start showing how to do the specific tasks. Using the wheel example again, I literally detail all the components and show what the finished product should look like.

4) Learning
I tend to take the vehicle and divide it. One side is yours and the other side is your friends. After showing your friend how to clean the wheels, send them to the other side and let them work. You are going to be way faster then your friend, so while they are working on that one task, you should continue on with detailing your side. Once they are finished, go inspect and critique. If it's good show them the next thing. If it isn't good, have them continue detailing it. Again, you go back to where you left off.

I've found that by doing this method I can be continuously moving and saving time. Once my side is done, I go over to the other side and start working. However, if my friend is way behind I will leave small areas so that they can still have something to work on and learn from. By only stopping to critique your friend's work, you can knock out a lot of the vehicle by yourself, which saves a lot of time.

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 08:39 AM
I think im going to go for everything here and its set, I just dont know how to use him and me at the same time. As said above we can do double wash, wheel clean etc, but im just wanting to get advice and opinions

Ahhh, ok, sounds like his intended commitment is to learn what you do and that's a good thing. I've read some great responses here! Does he have a DA machine? I'm thinking no, he doesn't and will rely on yours. That's a time chewer as you both may not be able to work on the HD Adapt at the same time. I like the advice of verbally explaing the step your working on and then demonstrating. After that let him go nuts. I only learned any refined skills i have by doing, touching, feeling, seeing, hearing for myself. Yup, he's gonna be slow but if you're in a position to let him borrow your machine and products and can do without them for the day you can always pick them up later. Of course, if you can't leave your stuff with him for any reason you're stuck through the whole process. In that case i would alternate machining and wipe off with him. You'll go faster machining but let him get his fair share of it to develop his skills a bit.

The largest part of time for me is machine work on the paint. You indicated you don't want to kill too much time so after the wash and decon (that you showed him and he helped you complete), some test spots with him and as i said earlier let him go nuts and work the rest of the vehicle. Again, if you're comfortable leaving your equipment with him, you then leave confident he has enough information and a basic set of skills to refine after a few panels. He calls you later to say how astounded he is with the finish and wants to swing by and return your stuff all cleaned up with a cold case of Heineken! As you both crack a frosty he asks a few questions and you talk about it a bit more.

At the end of the day you both feel wonderful!

GSKR
03-06-2016, 09:04 AM

The only compliant I got was from his wife, turns out he mistakenly used their joint checking debit card to purchase supplies instead of his credit card, she was flabbergasted with how much he spent. Lol.someone is sleeping on the couch lol.

Paul A.
03-06-2016, 10:20 AM
someone is sleeping on the couch lol.

Ha! Been there, GSKR. And i probably wouldn't have had i not printed out the online bank statement and countered her frustration with a tally of hair, nails, cosmetics and shoe costs! Ebgt, i hope your friend just let it be with an apology and a perfectly placed "will never do it again" until he acquires his discretion skills!