PDA

View Full Version : Are all glazes the same?

AUSMHLY
10-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Paint shops use a glaze after they compound/polish a new paint job.
Some people say use a glaze after using a polish. They say it has oils which help give it the wet look. Then apply your wax of choice over it for protection.

The better body shops us 3M products.
I've seen both of these glazes used.

3M Imperial hand glaze 05990
3M Perfect-It 3000 Final Glaze 06066

Your thoughts on the difference between these two?

Are these as good, better, or not as the glazes most talked about on these detail sites. Sonus, Pinnacle for example.

What's your take on using a glaze?
If I polish out the spyder webs, any benifit to adding a layer of glaze before I layer on the wax?

If so, are all glazes the same?
Do they have any polishing products in them?
Cheers, r

6LS2
10-06-2007, 11:23 AM
3M Imperial hand glaze is a glaze for newly painted cars. You use this glaze while your paint is curing to have that wet look that a wax usually gives you.

3M Perfect-It 3000 Final Glaze is a non-silicone wax designed to product a durable, high gloss finish on fresh or cured automotive paint.

So they're pretty much the same thing.. Well at least I think anyway.

My opinion on glazes. They can be good in some cases and in other cases they can't. Glazes don't bond well with sealents, so if your planning on sealing the car glazing isnt really a good idea.

On the other hand, if you have just polished out some swirls from your car, or you want to put a fresh coat of wax on, a glaze will hide any light swirls, and will cleanse your paint so it's ready for the wax.

Some people like them, some people dont see the point in them.

ScottB
10-07-2007, 10:03 AM
nope ...

some glazes are pure glazes meaning just adding oils and minor fillers to amp up a finish. Others a light polishes in disquise meaning slightly abrasive. Heck I know of several car manufacturers that offer glazes and they are actually waxes in liquid form sold to dealers and car washes as LSP products.

TOGWT
10-08-2007, 04:23 AM
riginally Posted by TOGWT http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=515737#post515737)
I think you'll find that it has very little, if any abrasive ability.

A glaze is purely an aesthetic product that contains a very, very light abrasive (Kaolin) to lightly burnish the surface. A glaze provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze because glazes tend to create a "wet-look" (jetting) shine they have come to be used by enthusiasts to maximize shine and gloss on concourse show cars, historic and exotic vehicles.

#80 does actually have, despite its name, a notable cutting ability. Meguiars rate it as having a cut of 4/10 on their cutting scale. Personally, I would say that it has a cut equivalent to that of Menzerna PO016FF Final Finish, perhaps a little more if anything. It does contain glaze oils in it, which is why Meguiars named it such I would imagine, but it does have a notable cut to it as well...

Mr Dream Machines
10-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Not all glazes are the same but many are similar.
Some have fillers that wash out, others don't wash out at all.
I've read that prima amigo is ok under sealants

3M imperial will hide alot but it sure is a PITA to use so I haven't for a decade.
I think any with many oils would be fine on SS paints but not CC's

The latest glaze I use is an aussie one that you spray on buff in, spray on, wipe off or buff on with machine to make the clearcoat look deeper, protect for six months, remove baby swirls and defects and polish glass.