PDA

View Full Version : Giant softball sized crack in windshield!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

emaxxman
06-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I have no idea what it was (happened too fast) but something massive hit my windshield this morning right in my line of sight. It left a series of circular cracks in the windshield about the size of a softball. It was so loud it could've been a gunshot for all I know.

It was a bad week at work and an even worse ending...the only thing I was looking forward to was getting to really use all the detailing supplies I got this past week. I was so eager to polish the car for the first time and really spend a full day detailing my Accord. It doesn't even seem worth it now given that I'll have to stare at that giant crack till it gets fixed.

This will be the third windshield I have in the car. I have a long, 1 hour commute everyday and the car just takes a beating. It looks really good for a daily commuter but it's really depressing sometimes too.:(

BILL
06-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey!! take it easy,,,,,,the cars damaged but your ok.it could have been alot worse.....the glass will take less than a day to fix.hopefully your ins will pick up the tab and by the end of next week you'll be planning a detail weekend........:cheers:

toolfanatic
06-23-2006, 06:13 PM
They say bad things come in sets of three... so you won't have anymore windshield issues. Seriously, sorry about the bad luck. At least you weren't hurt. It sounds like it could have caused a bad accident. Do you have to pay for the windshield? Here in MA we have no copay for glass. (the only good aspect of auto insurance in MA). Anyway good luck and happy detailing.

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
WOW! What a scary feeling. I hate when things fly up out of nowhere. Even when it just makes a noise I get jumpy, I can't imagine what I would do if my glass got a major crack in it! Good thing you are safe, and hopefully detailing will make all the bad memories just drift away....

emaxxman
06-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks for thoughts. I know it could've been worse which helps to put it in perspective. I'm glad my kids weren't in the car because they definitely would've been scared.

I'm going to call my insurance company. I'm not sure if it falls under my $500 comprehensive deductible or not. I live in NJ so our auto insurance here sucks and is expensive! I'll probably be required to have my kids work in some sweat shop if my auto insurance pays.

It's not dangerous to drive; I can see the road clearly. If I have to pay for it, I'm going to wait till I get the car inspected in November. This way I don't chance getting hit by a rock again before the inspection...that happened to my brother. I just hate anything other than a crystal clear window...it's a pet peeve.

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 06:53 PM
It isnt obstructing your view is it? I hate inspection. We don't have it hear in CA, but I have heard MANY complaints about it. Good luck man!

toolfanatic
06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
It may be illegal to drive with significant damage to the windshield. You might want to check into it.

emaxxman
06-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, it's not really obstructing...but a cop could probably make an argument to justify a ticket.

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 07:22 PM
I have seen people driving around with crazy broken windshields. They also drive like this in the movies. If it is in the movies, it is real life. :p

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 07:24 PM
That isn't as bad as I expected. CHeck the local laws, but I don't think it should be a problem.

emaxxman
06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
That isn't as bad as I expected. CHeck the local laws, but I don't think it should be a problem.

Yeah, the sound of the impact was more startling than anything...but it is bad if you're anal retentive about keeping a clean windshield.

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Well of course. I think it is a big problem and even if you don't care about a clean windshield, it would still ruin your day/week. How much are new windshields anyways? I always thought they were like 200 bucks.

toolfanatic
06-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I think there's a chance of the glass shattering if there's enough damage. A jolt from a pothole or something similar could trigger the breakage. The windshield is a structural element of the car. Just a thought to give you a heads up.

ScottB
06-23-2006, 07:54 PM
I have no idea what it was (happened too fast) but something massive hit my windshield this morning right in my line of sight. It left a series of circular cracks in the windshield about the size of a softball. It was so loud it could've been a gunshot for all I know.

It was a bad week at work and an even worse ending...the only thing I was looking forward to was getting to really use all the detailing supplies I got this past week. I was so eager to polish the car for the first time and really spend a full day detailing my Accord. It doesn't even seem worth it now given that I'll have to stare at that giant crack till it gets fixed.

This will be the third windshield I have in the car. I have a long, 1 hour commute everyday and the car just takes a beating. It looks really good for a daily commuter but it's really depressing sometimes too.:(

forks in the road always seem more depressing then they really are. You are likely to look back on this as a joke later, and better times at work will fast approach. Take some time for yourself, maybe detail the car, and realize that its just a fork in the road !!!

emaxxman
06-26-2006, 11:01 AM
forks in the road always seem more depressing then they really are. You are likely to look back on this as a joke later, and better times at work will fast approach. Take some time for yourself, maybe detail the car, and realize that its just a fork in the road !!!

I know...my wife went thru some tough medical times in the last few years...so I know this windshield crack is nothing to get real crazy about...just a bummer for the moment.

With that said, I did get to try out the awesome PC scrub brush and some other detailing stuff I bought. It did help to relieve some of the stress. Good stuff.

Thanks for the encouraging words...it always helps to have others put it into perspective for you...now if I could just get some sun here in NJ. If it rains anymore, I'm going to start collecting 2 of each animal and build a boat.