PDA

View Full Version : Just get me started

Pages : [1] 2

Barnabus Collins
03-04-2016, 11:39 PM
I'd like to start working on my LeMans blue 2004 Corvette. I'm sick of looking at all the swirls and water spots no matter how clean I get it. QD just gets me shinier swirls. Car is garaged and not daily driven, but I drive it frequently and I drive it hard when I do. I've clayed and waxed a car before and been happy with my results, but that's about it. I will get one of the PC kits to start with and I'd like to use CCS pads. I've got the jist of a simplified exterior detail process but I'm unsure on choice of products. Plan is to:

Wash with ONR
Elastrofoam (probably because its more like a bar that I'm used to)
Pinnacle Twins?
Souveran Liquid?

I picked Pinnacle, bt I've used Megs before and been pretty happy. Mainly looking for products that are difficult for me to really mess anything up using. I included a swirl remover and a polish just because there is so much going on in this paint, but I'm open to suggestions. Also open to suggestions on how to deal with intricate emblems on the nose and decklid of the car. Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
03-04-2016, 11:56 PM
For what you described, I'd use the Wolfgang Uber Compound and follow it with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Then you can use Souveran after.

Just use good wash technique after so you don't have to compound again.

EDIT: Barnabas Collins? Because you're afraid to go out in the sun (and see the swirls)?

zx10r Elle
03-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Welcome Barnabus Collins,

Most direct approach is if possible post a few close up pictures of your paint surface and im sure the myriad of 'vette owners will chime in and you'll be off in a flash grinning from ear to ear, they know what they're talking about when it comes to hard 'vette paint.

Steve

Paul A.
03-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Barnabus Collins...there's a name from the past that many today will have no reference to. There are plenty of us "seasoned" members though that will get a chuckle out of it. GREAT screen name!

If you've decided on the CCS pads they work. I like the new thin flats for my PC and find them best for me. I like reducing the mass of the pad and product on my PC to get the most out of the dual action. CCS pads always seemed to hold onto product for me and while that may be a good thing in theory i want my products to work fast and dispense with the product. Plus i always found em hard to fully clean.

Barnabus Collins
03-05-2016, 09:08 AM
LOL thanks. I know I have a corvette and an old school screen name, but I'm only 34. I'm sure a flat pad would be fine too. Just trying to roll with the technology and the CSS benefits sounded nice to me.

Setec Astronomy
03-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Barnabus Collins...there's a name from the past that many today will have no reference to. There are plenty of us "seasoned" members though that will get a chuckle out of it.

They did do a movie a few years ago with Johnny Depp as our old friend, so it's not so out of touch.

LOL thanks. I know I have a corvette and an old school screen name, but I'm only 34. I'm sure a flat pad would be fine too. Just trying to roll with the technology and the CCS benefits sounded nice to me.

This is one of those newb things that I muse on from time to time. I am pretty neutral on the CCS pads because I don't think I've ever used one (I did get a freebie red one, but I don't remember using it), but the CCS pads seem to be universally disliked.

However, there seems to be something in the description (same thing with Klasse) that draws in new members.

(Before I get flamed, there's nothing wrong with Klasse, it's just that I'm not sure it would be my first choice today. Although KAIO is a miracle worker in some instances.)

Cabrio
03-05-2016, 10:25 AM
I used CCS pads exclusively over the years on my PC and Flex 3401. I opted not to try out different pads, rather, broadening my experience was more focused on trying different products. That said, when I added the Rupes mini to my arsenal I immediately knew there things I liked and disliked about the Rupes pad. So when I recently bought the Rupes 15 Mark II, I knew I wanted to try a different pad. Since I already had experience with LC (although not with their long throw pad), I opted to branch out and try B&S pads.

I will say that now I have experience with CCS, Rupes and B&S, the clean up of CCS pad, IMHO, requires a tad more effort than the others and although my days of using CCS pads are over (I will be using my Rupes combination of polishers from now on), I still salute the LC CCS pads.

Barnabus Collins
03-05-2016, 10:54 AM
I think one of the things I have going for me is the abundance of good products available. So while there may be minor variations in performance, there aren't a lot of bad choices. That's what I want to stay away from; making a bad choice and tearing something up. I want stuff I can use to blunder through with initially while I'm learning. If I pick one pad/product and it means I have to make 5 passes instead of 4, I don't really care. I'm not on that level.

Cabrio
03-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Well said.

One thing to consider about the polishes is the amount of dusting and whether it uses diminishing abrasives. As I recently commented on another post, I used to not mind dusting but over time it started to drive me nuts which drew me to Wolfgang and Menzerna. I've heard great things about Griot's creams but I've never tried them.

Barnabus Collins
03-05-2016, 12:16 PM
I am leaning toward diminishing abrasives as I understand they might help reduce the risk of me overdoing anything? One of the reasons I was looking at Pinnacle and Optimum final polishes.

Beautiful day here. I'll try to get some pictures.

Setec Astronomy
03-05-2016, 12:36 PM
It's been suggested by some that SMAT and DAT are more marketing rather than technical terms. It's also been suggested that those differentiators are obsolete, or that it's folly to focus on them.

It would be really hard for you to overdo anything on that hard Corvette clear with a PC. I'm sticking by my above Wolfgang recommendations, use orange and white pads. Of course the Optimum polish line is very nice IMO, and you can certainly go that way with the Compound and Polish, same pads.

The emblems you are going to have to do by hand or with a foam swab, I think, maybe one of the 'Vette guys will have a better answer for that. Where are you located?

Barnabus Collins
03-05-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm in Atlanta. I actually talked to Jean Claude about detailing my Vette and my GTO over a year ago. I just had some things come up that took financial priority. He was a great guy to talk to. This thing is covered in swirls and water spots. Whomever had it before me must have just parked next to a sprinkler a lot. It also has quite a few rock chips on the nose. I will decide what to do with them before I use a sealant on the car. Just wax for now. Its not a show car, its a driver. I realize you can't have both worlds, unless you're Jay Leno. I just want more than this. Its pretty paint, and it should be happier than it is. One pic is of some small gravel that somehow is getting in between the side skirt and rear quarter panel. No idea how its getting in there, but I've seen it on both sides.

Barnabus Collins
03-07-2016, 01:56 PM
So yeah. Is this doable?

cardaddy
03-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Ahhhhh..... so you're in Atlanta. :D
I'm very familiar with JC, I've done some jobs with him in the past, and my nephew worked for him a few years back and understand exactly what you're saying about "financial priority". As the old saying goes... "It's nice work if you can get it". I'd like to think I would charge $1K for a basic... or even $2K, $3K or more to do a multi-step paint correction but I don't. Just not gonna' happen.

Honestly... I'd do that with Megs D300 with a Megs microfiber pad, followed by either one of the Menzerna polishes, Megs 205, or even Megs D302. Might even do it with FG400 following that with FG4000 as I KNOW that works wonders on Vette paint. :props:

Although these days, the finest polish from Menzerna is a 3800 (that took the place of both 4000 and 4500.) I still have enough 4000 though to get the job done for sure.

Nothing wrong with a CCS pad on the curved surfaces of that car, nothing at all. I find they really help on the curved panels over the flat pads. I have well over a hundred pads and most of them are either CCS or flat. Of course there are hydro-tech, hybrid, constant pressure, microfiber, even Rupes pads all added to the mix.:rolleyes: Last time I worked with JC, I had 5 times the pads he had and only do this for fun. :laughing:

That being said... I'd get the GG6, and AT LEAST a dozen pads and never look back. Advance Auto Parts has a 30% off coupon code out there (or at least I have one) ;) that'll make that machine just over a hundred bucks!:dblthumb2: (Autogeek has since said they'll honor that code as well.) ;)

Here's a link to a C7 I did last year in Laguna Blue.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/88959-2015-corvette-stingray-c7-3lt-z51-laguna-blue-pbl-coating-detailed-reflection-auto-spa.html

If you're in for a day of training, and hands-on use of my tools, which include everything from buckets and mitts, to foam cannon, to pads, towels, even compounds, polishes and final sealant I could be talked into it. :) FWIW... the guy with the C7 got out under $900, WITH the PBL dedicated coating(s) on the glass, wheels, and paint.... and I spent 37 hours on it! :) Needless to say the "financial priority" would have been quite a bit different had it been done elsewhere.

GSKR
03-07-2016, 04:42 PM
I'd like to start working on my LeMans blue 2004 Corvette. I'm sick of looking at all the swirls and water spots no matter how clean I get it. QD just gets me shinier swirls. Car is garaged and not daily driven, but I drive it frequently and I drive it hard when I do. I've clayed and waxed a car before and been happy with my results, but that's about it. I will get one of the PC kits to start with and I'd like to use CCS pads. I've got the jist of a simplified exterior detail process but I'm unsure on choice of products. Plan is to:

Wash with ONR
Elastrofoam (probably because its more like a bar that I'm used to)
Pinnacle Twins?
Souveran Liquid?

I picked Pinnacle, bt I've used Megs before and been pretty happy. Mainly looking for products that are difficult for me to really mess anything up using. I included a swirl remover and a polish just because there is so much going on in this paint, but I'm open to suggestions. Also open to suggestions on how to deal with intricate emblems on the nose and decklid of the car. Thanks!sounds like like a plan,depending on swirls severity I would personally kick it up a notch and go with uber compound as vette paint is stubborn a bit removing swirls.If swirls are some what light then the pinnacle would be fine.