PDA

View Full Version : n00b - Proper application of polish compound?

Pages : [1] 2

IslaTurbine
03-04-2016, 08:51 PM
So I'm new to the orbital polishing world. I'm using Lake Country 5" Orange and White pads along with Griot's 1, 2, and 3 polishes. My orbital is the Harbor Freight DA polisher with the grease and backing plate mods.

My question is simple (I think): When applying my polish, how long do I go back and forth the the cross-hatch pattern? What I mean is, how do you know when the application is done and you can wipe the residue off with a microfiber towel and some detail spray.

I don't know if I'm overthinking this, but I felt like the Griot's was difficult to remove with a simple wipe of a towel after application with the DA. Even with detail spray applied to the towel and paint, it still took a fair amount of effort to remove.

Should the polish be applied until it nearly "disappears" from the paint?

Thanks.

jamesboyy
03-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Go three to four passes in each direction then buff off residue and inspect your work and if you feel more is needed than do the process over, though your experience with griots due to the fact the product was not broken down enough or it was too much product lastly try folding your microfiber in fours and sit it upon you buffed out area twist then slow bite/work the towel outward till area is buffed then flip and gently wipe...just a few ideas

Setec Astronomy
03-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Use a lot less product than you think you should use--probably the most common novice mistake, using too much product.

custmsprty
03-04-2016, 11:06 PM
I do 5-6 section passes and work the product until it breaks down.

jamesboyy
03-04-2016, 11:07 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe-print.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html

Seee if this helps

WRAPT C5Z06
03-05-2016, 04:25 AM
So I'm new to the orbital polishing world. I'm using Lake Country 5" Orange and White pads along with Griot's 1, 2, and 3 polishes. My orbital is the Harbor Freight DA polisher with the grease and backing plate mods.

My question is simple (I think): When applying my polish, how long do I go back and forth the the cross-hatch pattern? What I mean is, how do you know when the application is done and you can wipe the residue off with a microfiber towel and some detail spray.

I don't know if I'm overthinking this, but I felt like the Griot's was difficult to remove with a simple wipe of a towel after application with the DA. Even with detail spray applied to the towel and paint, it still took a fair amount of effort to remove.

Should the polish be applied until it nearly "disappears" from the paint?

Thanks.
Where are you located? Those Griot's polishes are dated and may not be the easiest to use.

StephenK
03-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Do yourself a favor and get Griots B.O.S.S. creams. They are smooth working and can be worked for what seems forever. Easy wipe off. I have done any where from 2 passes up to 6 passes and no problem wiping them off.

How much product are you using?
How are you priming the pad?
How much pressure are you applying?
How many passes did you make?
how fast are you moving your arm?

Paul A.
03-05-2016, 08:37 AM
To get used to the Griots polishes you might want to section of some test spots if you have a "test mule". If i remember right, Griots uses typical diminishing abrasives and the trick is getting used to when you've broken them down and exhausted the results to get the best finish. Some test spots with various work times will show you what looks best, both before wiping off the polish and the after look. Of course that test would show you how it works ON THAT PAINT but will give you an idea of how it works down and finishes. Maybe one section worked with about 2 section passes, another with 4, another with 6-7...you get the idea. And i have always liked some pressure on the pad/machine for the first couple of section passes and then lighten up as it breaks down.

I have gotten used to what my compounds/polishes look like after X amount of passes and am used to their workable characteristics. Menzerna works LOOONG! I get to almost a point of it being almost invisible producing what appears as a rainbow look on the paint in my work light. M105? Bam, quick and clean up the remaining with a finishing polish.

The point is...try it out with different work times and experiment but remember with diminishing abrasives to work it all the way down to it's powdery state and then use that state to refine the results. I have gotten as silly as actually looking at the dusting for those that dust a bit! I know, i'm whacky, but love to understand as much as possible. I have always found this to be the fun part of trying new products...finding out how it works best! Some perfect links to Mike's School Of Perfection were provided by jamesboyy. One of the important points is wiping off to reveal the true paint condition. I LOVE Car Pro Eraser for that to insure you have removed everything.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-05-2016, 10:33 AM
I LOVE Car Pro Eraser for that to insure you have removed everything.
Wolfgang Perfect Prep is even better. :dblthumb2:

AGOatemywallet
03-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Wolfgang Perfect Prep is even better. :dblthumb2:

What do you prefer about the WG vs. Eraser?

WG is $25 for 16oz

Eraser is $15 for 16oz

IslaTurbine
03-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Where are you located? Those Griot's polishes are dated and may not be the easiest to use.

I'm located in North Texas. I only picked Griot's because I was told by many than it was an easy system to use and get started with.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe-print.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html

Seee if this helps

Thanks! My pad was primed each time I used a new one. Luckily I had previously seen that second video.

Do yourself a favor and get Griots B.O.S.S. creams. They are smooth working and can be worked for what seems forever. Easy wipe off. I have done any where from 2 passes up to 6 passes and no problem wiping them off.

How much product are you using?
How are you priming the pad?
How much pressure are you applying?
How many passes did you make?
how fast are you moving your arm?

Too much.
Detail spray and swirl of product, then I rubbed it into the pad with my hand.
Moderate pressure.
Around 4 passes.
Not too fast in my passes. I tried to be slow and methodical.

To get used to the Griots polishes you might want to section of some test spots if you have a "test mule". If i remember right, Griots uses typical diminishing abrasives and the trick is getting used to when you've broken them down and exhausted the results to get the best finish. Some test spots with various work times will show you what looks best, both before wiping off the polish and the after look. Of course that test would show you how it works ON THAT PAINT but will give you an idea of how it works down and finishes. Maybe one section worked with about 2 section passes, another with 4, another with 6-7...you get the idea. And i have always liked some pressure on the pad/machine for the first couple of section passes and then lighten up as it breaks down.

I have gotten used to what my compounds/polishes look like after X amount of passes and am used to their workable characteristics. Menzerna works LOOONG! I get to almost a point of it being almost invisible producing what appears as a rainbow look on the paint in my work light. M105? Bam, quick and clean up the remaining with a finishing polish.

The point is...try it out with different work times and experiment but remember with diminishing abrasives to work it all the way down to it's powdery state and then use that state to refine the results. I have gotten as silly as actually looking at the dusting for those that dust a bit! I know, i'm whacky, but love to understand as much as possible. I have always found this to be the fun part of trying new products...finding out how it works best! Some perfect links to Mike's School Of Perfection were provided by jamesboyy. One of the important points is wiping off to reveal the true paint condition. I LOVE Car Pro Eraser for that to insure you have removed everything.

Thanks everyone. It appears that I was definitely using too much product. Live and learn I guess.

IslaTurbine
04-13-2016, 05:36 PM
I've got another follow up question for the Griot's polishes. If I use the #1 polish, do I then have to go over the area with #2 and then #3? Essentially, do you have to progressively work each area up to the least aggressive polish if you had to initially hit the area with something more aggressive?

IslaTurbine
04-21-2016, 02:34 PM
I've got another follow up question for the Griot's polishes. If I use the #1 polish, do I then have to go over the area with #2 and then #3? Essentially, do you have to progressively work each area up to the least aggressive polish if you had to initially hit the area with something more aggressive?

Bump. Anyone?

abbarach
04-22-2016, 01:38 PM

In my experience, you need to follow either 1 or 2 with 3 for good results. If you are doing 1 there's no need to use 2, though, and you can go straight to 3.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-22-2016, 03:09 PM
I do 5-6 section passes and work the product until it breaks down.

This, so many people will just do 3 passes and wipe off, not even breaking down the polish or abrasive, i dont even count anymore, i work the abrasive and polish till its done and i wipe off.

Doing 3 passes then going again is just more time effort and a waste of product.

Thats just how i do it, everyone has there own polishing style