PDA

View Full Version : Removing sand from carpets

sweatthedetails
03-03-2016, 09:49 AM
I heard some guys talk about using a sander to vibrate sand out of carpets so I thought I would give it a shot. WOW. The mat shown was vacuumed and blown out with a tornador, it still had a small beach coming out of it. Great for inside the car too.
https://youtu.be/MpJc8hc4ydo

Jacksonville Auto Detailing - Home (http://www.JaxDetails.com)
www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

TTQ B4U
03-03-2016, 10:54 AM
LOL! Took our van to Jacksonville for 6 days last year both before and after our trip to Disney. Wonder if there's still sand in it? Will try for giggles :)

Thanks for posting this!

lifeatredline
03-03-2016, 12:31 PM
I wonder how it would do with the matt draped over a dish rack turned upside down and run sander on the back side. Will know shortly, lol. I have run into several carpets that just keep making sand.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Thats crazier than a wooden leg with a real foot! Lol.

Look how the sand just dances out of the carpet.

Thanks for sharing.

vetteguy08
03-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the tip and video. I will give this a try.

LEDetailing
03-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I wonder how it would do with the matt draped over a dish rack turned upside down and run sander on the back side. Will know shortly, lol. I have run into several carpets that just keep making sand.

Combined with sweatthedetails idea this is pure genius. Would lightly misting the carpet with water help after doing a few application of "the shakes"? This could be a never ending process and at some point you just have to say good enough.

Awesome tip!

LEDetailing
03-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Thats crazier than a wooden leg with a real foot! Lol.

Look how the sand just dances out of the carpet.

Thanks for sharing.

Amazing how the sand dancing around is so visible on camera. Before watching the video, I was expecting some super slow motion close up video.

sweatthedetails
03-03-2016, 07:01 PM

Let us know how this works out!

www.JaxDetails.com

Sizzle Chest
03-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Pretty cool. Thanks for posting!!

Smitty4x4
03-03-2016, 10:02 PM
I have been doing this for a while now. Also in FL. Yes the sand is that bad. I noticed that sand was jumping/levitating in my son's truck when his subwwofers were on. I put in some ear plugs, cranked up the bass and vacuumed with the radio going. Amazing results so I started using a sander. After seeing this I'm going to HF to get a cheap one and put my good sander back on the shelf. When doing the carpet inside the car I just hold the vacuum nozzle next to the sander to keep the sand from blowing around.

BillE
03-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Good idea, except that by constantly running the 'sander' back over the exposed sand...all those little sand particles are probably doing some damage to the carpet face.

Each grain (sand) has 23 little sharp edges/points that can actually destroy carper fibers.

If you can figure out how to do this from the back side, and for the sand fall out, ya gotta winner.

Bill

sweatthedetails
03-04-2016, 10:09 AM
I was running the sander back and forth for the demonstration. Usually I hold it in one place with one hand and my blow gun or vacuum in the other. I should of shot the video from inside the car. Because that's where the real benefit is. I used to use the blow out gun but the dust cloud made it counter productive.

www.JaxDetails.com

Calendyr
03-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Great tip! I am thinking, putting the carpet upside down on a grill type rack and running the sander on the back of it would be even more effective. Love it how detailers always find clever solutions to problems like these! Thumbs up!

Smitty4x4
03-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Good idea, except that by constantly running the 'sander' back over the exposed sand...all those little sand particles are probably doing some damage to the carpet face.

Each grain (sand) has 23 little sharp edges/points that can actually destroy carper fibers.

If you can figure out how to do this from the back side, and for the sand fall out, ya gotta winner.

Bill

Good point. You can do the mats from the back side if you hang them from a clip and hold the vacuum nozzle to the carpet side. Inside the car, I place it in an area with less sand such as the side of the transmission tunnel or the very front of the foot-well where it is more verticle. The sand will come to the top of the carpet as far as 6-8 inches from the sander. I then only move the sander to places that have already been cleaned to reduce abrasion.