PDA

View Full Version : what am i doing wrong

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 04:13 PM
I washed and clayed my car
I then polished with a porter cable DA and white pad with poorboys professional polish

I noticed very light swirl marks on the hood and on the trunk I see scratchs where i spread the polish with the pad Is this a no no

any help is welcome

JeffM
03-02-2016, 04:25 PM
If everything is clean then it might be dry buffing. You also may be removing the haze and revealing the swirls from a long while ago.

rbss
03-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Like jeff said you could be removing a little haze which is causing existing swirls to show. I'm not familiar with this polish but from what I understand its more of a light cleaning polish before you apply LSP.

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 04:40 PM
im using the cobra cross grove and i noticed they tend to require a lot of polish maybe because of their design or maybe i dont know what im doing

but the light swirl marks on the hood can't be from dry buffing because i soaked my pad with polish

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 04:41 PM
whats lsp

ViperGuy21
03-02-2016, 04:49 PM
whats lsp

Last Step Product
Wax, sealant, coating

Desertnate
03-02-2016, 04:52 PM
LSP is Last Stage Protection. The wax or sealant your going to apply when you're done.

Pro Polish doesn't have any abrasives in it and is more of a paint cleaner. The only correction that might happen is being done by the pad, not the product itself.

To get those marks out, you'll need a polish with some abrasives in it.

I also noticed you mentioned you "soaked the pad with polish" A saturated bad causes it's own issues.

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 05:10 PM
i applied meguiars carnauba plus premium paste wax by hand after i polished with the pro polish

the reason i soaked the pad was the pro polish is very thin and is the same color as my car white and it seemed like i was dry buffing

I was thinking maybe some sr1 would get the marks out
what pads should i use and how should i finish it up

rbss
03-02-2016, 05:24 PM
:postpics:

Without pics we have no idea of the severity of the defects. Sr1 would be a good starting point( least aggressive method first) and a white pad.
How's is your technique with the DA? How many passes, pressure, and technique play a huge factor on the outcome.

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Imma try and get some pics but its kinda hard to see by eye you have to look at a certain angle to see

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 05:42 PM
here are some pics
the hood came out the best and i buffed the longest on it with pro polish and white pad
the trunk looks the worst and it almost looks like it could be from spreading the pro polish with the pad

11Silverado
03-02-2016, 05:47 PM
IMO, your pad and product combination do not provide enough cut for those defects. You'll probably need a cutting pad and compound and then follow up with a polishing pad and polish.

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 05:48 PM
theres also marks on the side the car and i havent buffed the side the car so some of this isnt from me but i know some of it is

rbss
03-02-2016, 05:48 PM
From the looks of it you're going to need more then a light polish. What products do you have as far as compounds and pads?

turbochargedv8
03-02-2016, 05:54 PM
is the cobra cross grove pads ok I like the way they stick to the backing pad very good but im concerned on if they tend to dry buff because of their design I could be wrong because I was trying to use pro polish

Ok so I should polish with ssr1 and and white pad?
then how do i finish it up