PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Black Label coating maintenance

TGates
03-02-2016, 01:59 PM
I've got Pinnacle Black Label paint coating on my 2016 Corvette Stingray. This is the first vehicle I've treated with a coating. I applied it last fall and would like to get it refreshed for spring and summer. I've got the coating booster and detail spray that I plan on using after a wash. My question is regarding clay. Is it recommended to clay over a paint coating to remove contaminants in the same way as a paint treated with a traditional sealant or wax? Anything I should look out for or be aware of when doing this?

Thanks!

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-02-2016, 02:07 PM
You run the risk of marring with the clay. Maybe try iron-X and/or tar-X, then use the coating booster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mantilgh
03-02-2016, 02:35 PM
I would think you would be fine without the clay if you have just coated it this past fall. I do not hear much about claying coatings to maintain them, or about the effects of doing so.

Just give it a good wash and then use the coating booster if you wish.

Black Label Diamond Coating Application Guide (http://www.autogeek.net/diamond-coating-application-guide.html)

FUNX650
03-02-2016, 02:47 PM
IMO:
Claying depends on how much environmental
and man-made contaminates the vehicle has
been exposed to, or made contact with, since
the Coating was initially applied.

Performing "The Baggie Test" will usually
determine if claying is needed, or not.

Bob

Mantilgh
03-02-2016, 02:59 PM
:iagree: I meant to mention that.

I also meant to ask if the vehicle is the parked outside 24/7, or garaged?

TGates
03-03-2016, 08:24 AM
The car only has 700 miles on it and is garaged 100% of the time when it's not being driven. I am just used to always doing a light claying before refreshing an LSP and since this is my first experience with a coating, I didn't know if that was needed or "customary". It seems like if there are things "stuck" to the coating, it would inhibit the bonding of the coating booster. Whether things stick to the coating like they do to a clear coat or traditional wax or sealant is what I'm wresting with I guess.

zx10r Elle
03-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Mr TGates,

Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating is rated as a 3 year coating ( under proper maintenance ), you 'should' not have to clay at such an early stage as one of the significant attributes of coatings is the ability to repel and release contaminants that would normally lodge in waxes or even sealants over time and diminishment of the LSP.

Coatings are ( or should be ) far more resilient, as previously suggested a baggie test will provide a more definitive answer. Claying 'should' not be needed for quite some time.

Steve

TGates
03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Mr TGates,

Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating is rated as a 3 year coating ( under proper maintenance ), you 'should' not have to clay at such an early stage as one of the significant attributes of coatings is the ability to repel and release contaminants that would normally lodge in waxes or even sealants over time and diminishment of the LSP.

Coatings are ( or should be ) far more resilient, as previously suggested a baggie test will provide a more definitive answer. Claying 'should' not be needed for quite some time.

Steve

Sounds great. Thanks!

Jaretr1
03-03-2016, 12:14 PM
With as little use as that car is seeing, and that its garage kept, there should not be much in the way of contaminants getting on the paint. Skip the claying, shouldnt be needed.

Valky
03-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Then what if we found that there is contaminant on the coating surface after baggie test? Should we clay or not?

The Guz
03-03-2016, 11:25 PM
Claying may or may not compromise the coating.

Ebg18t
03-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Then what if we found that there is contaminant on the coating surface after baggie test? Should we clay or not?

Not knowing what kind of 'contaminates' you are saying they are you have a few non-clay options. Every 6-8 months I wash our coated cars with CarPro Iron-X Snowfoam. It helps remove some of the airborne iron type contaminants. I find it to be a simple way to maintain & decontaminate our coated cars.

CarPro Iron X Snow Soap, paint decontamination soap (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-snow-soap-liter.html)

TGates
03-04-2016, 11:33 AM
That's very insightful :)

Claying may or may not compromise the coating.

The Guz
03-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Clay abrades the surface. The process of abrasion is what will compromise or possibly remove the coating.

I have not clayed a surface that has PBL on it so I can't say if it will compromise the coating in any other way. I have clayed my glass that has DP Glass Coating due to some paint overspray and the coating survived.

I have also clayed my dad's car that had Ameriarmour paint coating due to paint overspray. I had to get a little aggressive to remove the overspray and this affected the coatings performance to the point where I had to polish it off.

My mom's car currently has PBL V2 and I don't plan to clay until I see signs of the coating needs a reapplication. My plan is to wash it and decon it once a year with ironx. I will even use PBL coating booster every now and then.