PDA

View Full Version : How to "switch" sealants - synthetic-to-Wax

buffdaddy
03-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Newb question.

In order to compare, I used Carnuba wax for LSP on trunk and Klasse AIO and Klasse sealant/glaze on the hood.

Now, if I want to switch from wax to synthetic or synthetic to wax..... can I just use a fine polish to clean, prep and "remove" the current sealant.... then apply the new sealant?

Thanks in advance! :xyxthumbs:

04accord
03-02-2016, 12:25 PM
yes

jamesboyy
03-02-2016, 12:53 PM
I agree with 04accord you could always just give the vehicle a wipe down with something like carpro eraser or just wash the vehicle with something like chemical guys citrus wash or a few squirts of dawn in your regular carwash solution to remove LSP(last step product/wax sealant) if one isn't looking for a pure flawless finish or is concerned about its clear coat thickness....just some thoughts

FUNX650
03-02-2016, 02:32 PM
In order to compare,
I used Carnuba wax for LSP on trunk and

Klasse AIO and Klasse sealant/glaze on the hood.
IMO:
In order to have an even fairer comparison:
a (Cleaner-Wax)/AIO should've been used
on the trunk prior to the application of
the Carnauba Wax.

Now, if I want to switch from wax to synthetic or synthetic to wax..... can I just use a fine polish to clean, prep and "remove" the current sealant.... then apply the new sealant?

IMO: Yes.

Bob

Kamakaz1961
03-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Newb question.

In order to compare, I used Carnuba wax for LSP on trunk and Klasse AIO and Klasse sealant/glaze on the hood.

Thanks in advance! :xyxthumbs:

IMO Yes. That is the way I do it. If the car is polished well and does not need polishing; then I go to a pre-wax cleaner. That works too.

ski2
03-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I agree with 04accord you could always just give the vehicle a wipe down with something like carpro eraser or just wash the vehicle with something like chemical guys citrus wash or a few squirts of dawn in your regular carwash solution to remove LSP(last step product/wax sealant) if one isn't looking for a pure flawless finish or is concerned about its clear coat thickness....just some thoughts

Dawn and Citrus wash will not remove existing LSPs also I doubt Eraser would remove an LSP as it is designed to remove polishing oils.

Have a look here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping.html

Mike Honcho
03-02-2016, 05:04 PM
IMO Yes. That is the way I do it. If the car is polished well and does not need polishing; then I go to a pre-wax cleaner. That works too.

CJ, what's your pre-wax cleaner of choice?

Mike Honcho
03-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Would D114 at 6:1 do it?

Kamakaz1961
03-02-2016, 06:19 PM
CJ, what's your pre-wax cleaner of choice?

I have 2: Polish Angel Escalate lotion and Black Label Pre-wax cleaner. So far those 2 have been very good for me.

jamesboyy
03-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Dawn and Citrus wash will not remove existing LSPs also I doubt Eraser would remove an LSP as it is designed to remove polishing oils.

Have a look here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping.html

Ahh yes yes thank you for refreshing my memory on such topic and you are fully correct with no hesitation, and or the suggested methods would most likely be applied if one isn't looking to fully remove LSP but rather layer it in a sense