PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay Help Needed

Pages : [1] 2

Ford Fest
03-02-2016, 08:35 AM
This is my 2007 GT500, best described as a garage queen. Due to all of the electronics and I don't typically drive it in the rain, I've only dusted in the engine bay. After pulling off the cold air I take and throttle body, I found this suprise. Wow!

I'm sure I'm over thinking this and that's why I'm asking for help.

I'm leaning towards just using rags to clean and rinse rather than spraying water. I Need to make sure I remove all of the residue left by the cleaner. As mentioned, plenty of electronics; along with holes for water to get trapped in. I also plan to wax or coat the painted surface. Not sure about the plastic. I do NOT like the greasy look. I like the fresh from the factory look.

What would you do? What products? What method?

Thanks you in advance for your comments

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Do you have any rinseless or waterless wash? That's what I would use to minimize your concerns about trapped water.

As far as protection, just use your favorite wax/sealant. I'm not sure about your "plastic" reference; are you planning on putting something on everything in the engine compartment? Or just specific items? Nothing "plastic" is jumping out at me in your picture.

Ford Fest
03-02-2016, 08:44 AM
I do have both waterless and rinseless. I wasn't sure they are strong enough to remove the dirt.

As for plastic, it has the typical late model plastic.

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2016, 08:51 AM
A rinseless should get that off, it's possible you might have to use some APC in some spots, but you can go over it with the rinseless to remove the residue you are concerned with.

As far as the plastic, my choice would be Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS), but you could use a coating like DLux or one of the spray coatings like Pinnacle Black Label or the McKee's 37 when it becomes available.

I'm sure other members will have some better suggestions.

PA DETAILER
03-02-2016, 08:59 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/98122-how-do-cosmetic-engine-detailing.html

trashmanssd
03-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Yeah Rinseless wash with second tier Microfibers you use for door jambs. Ring them out so they are just real damp so it doesn't drip water where you dont want it. Or use waterless wash applied just to the microfiber and wipe clean. +1 for WETS for the plastics nice natural health look and last a long time.

Ford Fest
03-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Thank you for the quick feedback

Joshwaa
03-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Might want to consider soaking a plush MF with a WW or diluted APC and sit it on the area for a bit. Break things up make it easier to get off without damage.

Paul A.
03-02-2016, 10:05 AM
I've done all my engines the same way. Cover up the electricals, CAI etc. with both saran wrap and aluminum foil over that and hose it down good. Not pressure wash, just hose. I then spray a good APC (Megs Super Degreaser) and my various brushes to work it good and rinse. Blow it dry and towel dry the remaining and dress the rubber and plastics. Done. Maybe 15-20 mins.

And i'm always cautious not to do anything to a hot engine but warm is best for me.

Setec Astronomy
03-02-2016, 10:49 AM
I've done all my engines the same way. Cover up the electricals, CAI etc. with both saran wrap and aluminum foil over that and hose it down good. Not pressure wash, just hose. I then spray a good APC (Megs Super Degreaser) and my various brushes to work it good and rinse. Blow it dry and towel dry the remaining and dress the rubber and plastics. Done. Maybe 15-20 mins.

Yeah, that always works for me but the OP was pretty adamant about not hosing it down.

Ford Fest
03-02-2016, 12:10 PM
my other concern about washing down with a hose is I won't be able to run the engine to get it hot to evap any residual water that is left after blowing off the excess. I want to clean up the engine while I still have parts off so I can get to those areas.

davidc
03-02-2016, 04:19 PM
What ever approach you use I personally would disconnect the battery first. If there is no electricity present there is no chance of things going T.U. Allow sufficient drying time before reconnecting and if need be blow out the engine and compartment with compressed air, leaf blower etc. I have been an electrician for 45 years now and water mixed with electricity still do not mix not to mention the electronics.

Dave

GSKR
03-02-2016, 04:30 PM
This is my 2007 GT500, best described as a garage queen. Due to all of the electronics and I don't typically drive it in the rain, I've only dusted in the engine bay. After pulling off the cold air I take and throttle body, I found this suprise. Wow!

I'm sure I'm over thinking this and that's why I'm asking for help.

I'm leaning towards just using rags to clean and rinse rather than spraying water. I Need to make sure I remove all of the residue left by the cleaner. As mentioned, plenty of electronics; along with holes for water to get trapped in. I also plan to wax or coat the painted surface. Not sure about the plastic. I do NOT like the greasy look. I like the fresh from the factory look.

What would you do? What products? What method?

Thanks you in advance for your commentsa cheap hundred dollar steamer will help.

LEDetailing
03-02-2016, 04:51 PM
This would be a perfect place to utilize a waterless or rinse less wash. I made a bottle or D114 128:1 with distilled water and a repurposed spray bottle. Saturate the debris then use your engine MF towels and complete a rinse less. If you are concerned about water running off and going into crevices and gaps, control the water by creating dams with towels to block and absorb the water. I wish I had these kinds of detailing concerns. My cars are the anti-garage queens.

It's a shame Ford doesn't dress up the engine bay more on such a cool Mustang. Those aluminum caps are the details that are needed throughout the engine bay.

Paul A.
03-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah, that always works for me but the OP was pretty adamant about not hosing it down.

Whoops! Yes, thanks Setec, i overlooked that. Plus he's removed his cold air intake and i wouldn't be spraying water anywhere near that either. Sorry and thanks for the correction.