PDA

View Full Version : How much wax does wash and wax shampoos actually have?

DavidAl
03-01-2016, 10:27 PM
I mean, does it really leave any protective wax on the car just from washing it? Do you guys see or feel the differences when using a wash and wax product, as compared to a shampoo without the wax?

Thanks.

01GreyStangGT
03-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Something I've often wondered as well. I'm sure it is not as strong as a spray wax, or is it? For sure not as strong as a liquid or paste wax. How much is left many vary between brands. I'm curious what others will say too.

haris300
03-01-2016, 11:29 PM
CarPro HydroFoam works well if that counts. I observed it repelling water for more than a month after washing my brother in law's neglected C300 with it. Stayed looking pretty clean too.

LEDetailing
03-01-2016, 11:36 PM
CarPro HydroFoam works well if that counts. I observed it repelling water for more than a month after washing my brother in law's neglected C300 with it. Stayed looking pretty clean too.

I can believe this from all the great reviews from Carpro's stuff. This would be a cool product to use if I was older and didnt enjoy washing my cars by hand.

I didn't see bad results in the past from Megs yellow wash and wax shampoo, but it wasn't memorable either. I like my D156 spray wax in the winter.

PiPUK
03-02-2016, 02:21 AM
Most wash and wax products have zero wax. The norm is to use a surface modifying surfactant which beads temporarily but basically gives nothing longer term.

The likes of hydrofoam is really not a wash and wax, more like a durable rinse product. As a but if a rant, carpro get a lot of credit but they weren't the originators and others have massively higher dilution options.

VISITOR
03-02-2016, 03:37 AM
wash>spray wax

if you want some protection...

GSKR
03-02-2016, 06:30 AM
The best carwash soap I ever used isn't made anymore,this stuff was so amazing for a simple wash and wax in one bottle.The suds would actually gel up on the surface as wax,then rinse left your car paint looked like you sprayed waxed it.

zx10r Elle
03-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Hello DavidAl,

This always confused me using the term 'wax' when referring to washes 'ie. wash&gloss, wash&wax'. Wax is not water soluble so wouldnt there be chunks in the shampoo? And if the suspensors were strong to emulsify the wax would they not adversely affect the waxes ability to protect the paint surface in any meaningful manner as well as the shampoo, and what of the existing wax on the surface.

Unless were speaking metaphorically compared to any LSP (chemical surfactants).

In my experience GTechniq UV Wash definitely leaves something behind, its obvious, as it should be since thats how its marketed. By comparison Optimum Car Wash leaves nothing behind, same for Dodo Juice Supernatural.

As far as the level and duration of any kind of protection, I would 'assume' using a DD as an example it should last a week otherwise whats the point? To wash the vehicle and have it look fabulous for a day or two seems pointless.

As a note, UV Wash describes it ability to provide some UV protection, hence the 'UV' in the name, this was confusing also since it was going to be rinsed off anyway, then it became clear upon using it that it doesnt entirely rinse 'clean'.

Steve

Desertnate
03-02-2016, 08:19 AM
DP Power Wash has a healthy amount of wax in it. I would not count on it to provide LSP levels of protection, but I did find there isn't really a need for a spray wax follow up when I used it. It leaves the finish slick and really glossy.

choijw2
03-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I been very happy with ONR with wax.

Leaves clean, just waxed look only with simple wash.

But I use wash+ wax products for maintenance only with good amount of wax/sealant left on surface. I wouldn't depend on it as dedicated LSP.

Also I always considered it as "booster" for existing wax on surface.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-02-2016, 10:58 AM
I been very happy with ONR with wax.

Leaves clean, just waxed look only with simple wash.

But I use wash+ wax products for maintenance only with good amount of wax/sealant left on surface. I wouldn't depend on it as dedicated LSP.

Also I always considered it as "booster" for existing wax on surface.

This.

PiPUK
03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
This always confused me using the term 'wax' when referring to washes 'ie. wash&gloss, wash&wax'. Wax is not water soluble so wouldnt there be chunks in the shampoo? And if the suspensors were strong to emulsify the wax would they not adversely affect the waxes ability to protect the paint surface in any meaningful manner as well as the shampoo, and what of the existing wax on the surface.

Whilst not universally true, you are not far from the truth. Suspensions are generally not going to be much good as the particle size is too big (i.e. chunks in the product). You can have emulsions and the emulsifying agents are nothing to be concerned about (a strong emulsifier does not imply that it is all that good as a detergent, for example). The thing is that the vast majority of emulsions will be opaque (i.e. you cannot see through them). Resulting wash and wax products will have the same character. So if you have a product which claims to be a wash and wax, yet it transparent, not significantly opaque, there is a strong chance that it has no wax in it. If it is a high end product, it could have some polymers but, in my experience, the majority of the useful ingredients will be opaque emulsions, not micro emulsions. It is plausible that you have a translucent product but crystal clear transparent smells a lot like a surface substantive surfactant (as I stated previously, this is an age old, tried and test, method for this product class).