PDA

View Full Version : Functional differences between Porter Cable 7424 and 7424XP?

markiteight
03-01-2016, 12:20 AM
While going through my parents' garage I came across a disused circa 2001 PC 7424. I think my dad got it when their cars were new but quickly got bored with it and stashed it on a bottom shelf, where it sat until I discovered it today.

I'm curious how this older model differs from the XP. I found a video online, made right when the XP came out, that outlines the physical differenced between the two models. What I'm curious about is in the past 6 years have people discovered a functional difference between the two that make the XP a must-have and the old model truly obsolete? Or perhaps a design flaw in the new model that makes the original sought after?

If the original is still a good design I may have just saved a ton of $$$!

Priyaka
03-01-2016, 01:09 AM
I have the pc7424xp--it works great. I'm sure if your older model works, I don't see why you couldn't use it. The changes were to the design.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=AAKythclHn8"]Video Comparison of the Porter Cable 7424 vs. the New 7424XP - YouTube[/video]

markiteight
03-01-2016, 01:52 AM
I have the pc7424xp--it works great. I'm sure if your older model works, I don't see why you couldn't use it. The changes were to the design.

Video Comparison of the Porter Cable 7424 vs. the New 7424XP - YouTube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=AAKythclHn8)

Yup. That's the video I found. It was made right when the XP came out. That was 6 years ago when no one had yet used the XP. Like I said, I'm curious if any functional differences have surfaced with time and practical use.

dlc95
03-01-2016, 12:36 PM
I have two of each machine. The original doesn't have the top end speed that the xp has, however, it seems to maintain lower speed rotation better than the xp. The original is smaller, quiter and lighter too.

I got two of the original 7424 machine recently, one was brand new old stock, and the other barely used. One was from 06, and the other from 07. I've messed around with it a couple times on test panels, and a couple test spots. The real factor will be how I can make it handle an actual job. The XP is my machine of choice right now. I'm pretty sure the original will be just fine for me.

Jaretr1
03-01-2016, 01:24 PM
With all the new low profile thin pads, the lack of power of the original 7424 might not be as much as an issue as it was when the tool was in production.

markiteight
03-01-2016, 07:21 PM
I have two of each machine. The original doesn't have the top end speed that the xp has, however, it seems to maintain lower speed rotation better than the xp. The original is smaller, quiter and lighter too.

I got two of the original 7424 machine recently, one was brand new old stock, and the other barely used. One was from 06, and the other from 07. I've messed around with it a couple times on test panels, and a couple test spots. The real factor will be how I can make it handle an actual job. The XP is my machine of choice right now. I'm pretty sure the original will be just fine for me.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like for occasional use on personal cars by a rank amateur I'll be just fine with the original model.

blkSRT
03-01-2016, 08:35 PM
You'll be fine with the original.

As for the lack of power as far as I'm concerned that's a bit of a misnomer. With proper technique the original has plenty of corrective power. Even more so with the newer thinner pads and compounds.

mthowell
06-30-2016, 08:42 PM
You'll be fine with the original.

As for the lack of power as far as I'm concerned that's a bit of a misnomer. With proper technique the original has plenty of corrective power. Even more so with the newer thinner pads and compounds.

This is really the best news I could have read. Just got my first new car in about 11 years and found in a box, my old PC 7424. I have already spend a fair amount of money here acquiring stuff to maintain the beauty (it's nothing fancy because it is a midsize SUV to haul the family), but to me, I love it and want to keep it in great shape. I found this and was wondering if I would need to upgrade..but maybe not..on my way to get a LC 6 pack of pads and am really appreciating all the knowledge here.

dlc95
06-30-2016, 09:47 PM
The only real difference I've found is top end speed. The xp will get the pad spinning faster at speed 6. The xp also runs cooler.

However, I love the size of the original! I've done a handful of jobs with it, and it performs just fine.

With the D300/DMC5 pads it would have no problem destroying swirls.

dlc95
06-30-2016, 09:50 PM
This is really the best news I could have read. Just got my first new car in about 11 years and found in a box, my old PC 7424. I have already spend a fair amount of money here acquiring stuff to maintain the beauty (it's nothing fancy because it is a midsize SUV to haul the family), but to me, I love it and want to keep it in great shape. I found this and was wondering if I would need to upgrade..but maybe not..on my way to get a LC 6 pack of pads and am really appreciating all the knowledge here.

If you have more serious defects, consider Meguiar's D300 compound, and their Microfiber cutting discs. Their thin foam discs are the natural compliment to those too. Cut with the microfiber, polish with yellow foam, finish with the black.

The LC are great too. Glad you found your machine!

mthowell
06-30-2016, 10:30 PM
If you have more serious defects, consider Meguiar's D300 compound, and their Microfiber cutting discs. Their thin foam discs are the natural compliment to those too. Cut with the microfiber, polish with yellow foam, finish with the black.

The LC are great too. Glad you found your machine!

Thanks for all your commentary. No serious defects on the older vehicles. Despite a small litter of kids and an insane work schedule, I did a good job of maintenance and a garage at home and at work allowed me to escape serious issues. The new car has me itching to really do great stuff with it, especially now that the kiddos are older. So, I appreciate all the help and the advice.

Eldorado2k
06-30-2016, 10:35 PM
I've used that 1st model PC with 3" pads once. Man that thing is easy to hold while polishing, it almost feels like a toy compared to the HF DA. It did the job though.

Paul A.
07-01-2016, 08:58 AM
I have and occassionally use my PC 7336, a unit before the 7424, and it works great. I had a black Honda recently that was corrected perfectly by it! That paint was SOFT. I tried a 7424XP a couple of years ago and it felt so much stronger all around than my old 7336 but I am sure a regular 7424 would be just fine. I always use my PC for LSP applications. And, like Eldo said, i LOVE 3" pads on it at times.

If i were solely limited to using a PC i would most likely ONLY use the thinnest pads i could find. I like to limit the overall mass spinning on my 7336 to maximize the work it can do.