PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove micro rust spots around license placate?

zmanbaseball2
02-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Hi guys,
I recently noticed that my license plate frame was rusting so I removed it. I noticed that the frame was spreading the rust to the car paint. How do I remove these rust spots off my paint or make them less noticeable? It also left scratch marks all around the frame where it was in contact with the paint. How do I remove those as well?
Here are pictures:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160228/004433b5bb88bd5626de849d9cecb499.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160228/d653117fa5e1ee594bb12a9fe23864b0.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160228/45d5809581acab92cca4892eed3705da.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160228/bdeb4634ec7230adf198d3212ffab26d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEDetailing
02-28-2016, 12:26 PM
-Wash with two bucket method and dry.
-Decontaminate the paint with iron X or similar product. If necessary
-clay if necessary
-if you don't have any light compound you could try Meguiar's ultimate compound.
-then polish out with Meguiar's ultimate polish

Do you have a polisher and polishes?

I would lose the license plate brackets. Just one more place for sand and dirt to hide. Also the plate bracket vibrates and slowly abrades away the layers of paint.

I started to even use small vinyl washers between my plate screws and plates. This helps minimize the damage to the plates surface. I can also use cheap plate screws and replace them. The washers prevent rust from transferring from cheap screws to plates as well.

If you are dead set about using the plate bracket look at attaching something to the rear of the bracket to prevent this from happening again.

LEDetailing
02-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Oh and welcome to Autogeekonline! You will enjoy the forum

zmanbaseball2
02-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Oh and welcome to Autogeekonline! You will enjoy the forum

-Wash with two bucket method and dry.

-Decontaminate the paint with iron X or similar product. If necessary

-clay if necessary

-if you don't have any light compound you could try Meguiar's ultimate compound.

-then polish out with Meguiar's ultimate polish

Do you have a polisher and polishes?

I would lose the license plate brackets. Just one more place for sand and dirt to hide. Also the plate bracket vibrates and slowly abrades away the layers of paint.

I started to even use small vinyl washers between my plate screws and plates. This helps minimize the damage to the plates surface. I can also use cheap plate screws and replace them. The washers prevent rust from transferring from cheap screws to plates as well.

If you are dead set about using the plate bracket look at attaching something to the rear of the bracket to prevent this from happening again.

Hi,
Thanks for welcoming me!!
Anyway, yesterday I washed (2 bucket method), clayed and waxed my whole car. No compound or polish. My cause is pretty much new from April 2015.
Today I will first clay, then compound, then polish and then put a coat of wax at the end and see if I get any better results.
Thanks.

LEDetailing
02-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Zmanbaseball2,

Do you think the rust is on the surface of the paint or has the plate bracket worn through the layers of the paint down to the metal of the panel?

Judging by your photos the rust appears to be on the surface. Was your bracket/frame metal or plastic? Usually those plate frames are made of very cheap pot metals and coated.

FUNX650
02-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Regular use of the below product will help,
immensely, to keep that rust from coming back:

CorrosionX Lubricant and Penetrant, anti corrosion protectant, rust inhibitor, stop rust, rust blocker (http://www.autogeek.net/corrosionx-16oz.html)

Bob

AGOatemywallet
02-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Home Depot sells Rubber Grommets that work well for adding space between paint and plate.

They are in the specialty drawers on the fastener aisle.

zmanbaseball2
02-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Home Depot sells Rubber Grommets that work well for adding space between paint and plate.

They are in the specialty drawers on the fastener aisle.

That's what I am going to do and get screws that don't rust.

zmanbaseball2
02-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Zmanbaseball2,

Do you think the rust is on the surface of the paint or has the plate bracket worn through the layers of the paint down to the metal of the panel?

Judging by your photos the rust appears to be on the surface. Was your bracket/frame metal or plastic? Usually those plate frames are made of very cheap pot metals and coated.

Hi,
The rust is on the bare metal in some/most parts. The clay, compound, polish did nothing. I think touch up paint will not solve my problem but make it appear better. The frame was metal.

I am getting a stainless steel plate frame and I am going to put a cushion in between the frame and license plate.
I also plan on getting rubber washers and stainless steel screws for my license plates.

What do you think I should do or not do at this point?

LEDetailing
02-29-2016, 12:36 AM
If there is bare metal you should clean the rust out first.

-I personally have used metal dental picks to literally scrape the rust off the metal.

-Remove rust residue using a paint safe solvent. I used rubbing alcohol on qtips with good results.

-next prime the metal with a tube of touch up primer. I like to use toothpicks to apply small amounts of primer in the area being primed.

-I recently touched up my hood using a method I had never tried before watching Larry Kosilla's video. Mix you base coat (color) with a little clear coat. I used toothpicks again.

Easier to apply thin coats as opposed to thick globs of paint. I used plastic milk caps to hold small amounts of paint. Easier to apply small amounts of paint onto the toothpick. Apply the paint into the cap using the supplied brush.

If you don't have a lot of experience using touch up, I would watch some videos on different touch up techniques if you go that route.

Best of luck