PDA

View Full Version : limitations of meguiars da power system g3500

sansa
02-28-2016, 02:40 AM
Hello guys. I would love to understand some of the specs of this tool to compare it to a solid and powerful DA polisher and understand its limitations
Like said in previous articles it is a system that converts a rotation into a forced roto-orbital motion. It has 3 inches pads and the limit has to be 3000 rpm from the drill.

But what's the real max speed in opm if the drill reaches 3000 rpm? What's the real throw of this tool? Does a drill reduce its speed when applying too much pressure as well as a porter cable or other DA polishers?

Thanks in advance

PaulMys
03-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Hi, sansa.

As an owner of the Meg's DA power system for your corded drill, I can tell you these facts:

1) This is not a substitute for a real DA polisher. Nowhere near the RPM's. But, I have successfully removed many light swirls and isolated minor scratches with this system.

2) Yes, the system loses a bit of RPM as you put a bit of pressure on it, but not too much. If you are "leaning" too hard on any DA system, you're not letting the machine do the work for you.

3) I like this unit for getting into tight areas and around emblems, etc.

Hope this answers your inquiry.

JustJesus
04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
But what's the real max speed in opm if the drill reaches 3000 rpm? What's the real throw of this tool? Does a drill reduce its speed when applying too much pressure as well as a porter cable or other DA polishers?

Thanks in advance

Not sure what the OPM is, nor the throw. It's a small random orbit "backing plate" and the throw is also quite small.

Yes, the speed is reduced with added pressure, but not to the point where it will stop spinning like a PC, as it is more of a forced rotation machine, and not a free spinning one.

I've seen examples of this little tool doing some serious correction. Not just light scratches and swirls. Check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ozwtlrrj2E

FUNX650
04-11-2016, 12:22 PM
I would love to understand some of the specs
of this tool...and understand its limitations

•There's an old saying:
"The only limitation, is your imagination".

•I'll add:
-Imagination is free; and effective.

Bob

dlc95
04-11-2016, 01:36 PM
I always considered that to be a forced rotation device.