PDA

View Full Version : Best foam pads for cutting and polishing with a rotary

RPM_BR
02-27-2016, 04:56 PM
I humbly ask my fellow AGO's members to chime in to tell what foam pads you are using for the cutting and polishing steps with a rotary.
I'm looking for new ideas.
Thanks in advance.

GSKR
02-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Wool pads are ideal,but usually refrain from them cause of the aggressive cut.need more info what kind of car and color and paint condition .

GSKR
02-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Orange and red is the most standard of foam cutting and polishing.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-28-2016, 01:53 AM
I think you already know my answer... Flex, Hybrids, Menzerna.

Zubair
02-28-2016, 03:12 AM
Buff and Shine 5.5" and 6" Flat pads.
Lake Country 6.5" Hybrids.

RPM_BR
02-28-2016, 12:11 PM
I think you already know my answer... Flex, Hybrids, Menzerna.

Yes, I know you, Mike :)

The reason I'm asking is because I was working on a extremely swirled and neglected black new beetle 2008; I got the usual combo, 3401, fg400 and orange hybrid. It wasn't enough, believe me.

I could've used wool, I have quite a few options, and tried carpro mf cutting pad, but it was creating new, though shallow, swirls, working backwards, as Mike P would say. I was cutting heavy swirls with light swirls, not good enough.

I got the PE14 with a medium cut menzerna pad and fg400. Then I got the desired cut.

I started to wonder what kind and brand of foam pads people were using with a rotary polisher for cutting heavily swirled cars.

Best regards

RPM_BR
02-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Buff and Shine 5.5" and 6" Flat pads.
Lake Country 6.5" Hybrids.

Thanks Zubair, I will try 6.5 hybrids on the PE14.

I feel kinda stupid, it never ocurred to me this setup :)

You know the mantra, 3401 and hybrids, not the PE14.

Zubair
02-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Thanks Zubair, I will try 6.5 hybrids on the PE14.

I feel kinda stupid, it never ocurred to me this setup :)

You know the mantra, 3401 and hybrids, not the PE14.

Pleasure, the PE-14 is way more powerful than a 3401. The Orange Hybrid will have much more cut to it on the PE-14 than it will on a 3401. Even the White Hybrid can give you serious correction with the power of a PE-14.

dschia
02-28-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes, I know you, Mike :)

The reason I'm asking is because I was working on a extremely swirled and neglected black new beetle 2008; I got the usual combo, 3401, fg400 and orange hybrid. It wasn't enough, believe me.

I could've used wool, I have quite a few options, and tried carpro mf cutting pad, but it was creating new, though shallow, swirls, working backwards, as Mike P would say. I was cutting heavy swirls with light swirls, not good enough.

I got the PE14 with a medium cut menzerna pad and fg400. Then I got the desired cut.

I started to wonder what kind and brand of foam pads people were using with a rotary polisher for cutting heavily swirled cars.

Best regards

Based on your description, it seems like you are trying to achieve too much in 1 step. It is hard enough to finish hologram free with polishing pad on soft clearcoat or cutting pad on medium clearcoat, let alone using a cutting pad. So if 2 steps is needed, might as well use a wool pad to remove more defects before your second step.