PDA

View Full Version : Starting out mobile

Pages : [1] 2 3

mcglockin
02-27-2016, 03:50 AM
Hey everyone! I've been lurking on here and decided it was time to make an account. I've been looking for other threads on mobile startups but haven't gotten all the info I wanted.

I'm looking to start out part time for now, and also mobile. I've purchased and read Renny Doyles book as suggested and have been doing a lot of research on products. One of my main concerns right now is what equipment is most budget friendly, and what have you experienced detailers used that you've liked. I'll be needing to purchase a shop vac, a power washer, a generator, undecided whether I'll go with a water pump for the pressure washer, a steam cleaner, and some sort of "extractor" whether it be a bissell spot clean pro or another one. I'm not looking to break the bank starting out, but I'm looking for good quality on a budget. I'm also not looking for commercial grade stuff as I'm just starting out.

Your input is much appreciated and wanted! Thank you very much for your help, and any other equipment or tools you think would help me.

GSKR
02-27-2016, 06:30 AM
What's your budget in mind?

mcglockin
02-27-2016, 06:57 AM
About 1,000 to 1,500? I could go a little higher if it would be of a much greater benefit.

GSKR
02-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Are you mounted water tank PW and generator in truck,or using customers water.

mcglockin
02-27-2016, 07:43 AM
I plan on either having it in the truck or getting a small trailer. I'd like to use my own water supply. Do I need a pump for the power washer?

GSKR
02-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Believe it or not check out some pawn shops for generator or other stuff,I got a brandnew makita rotary with bag for 90 dollars.

mcglockin
02-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Yea I planned on looking on Craigslist and pawn shops to try and save some money where I could.

Mantilgh
02-27-2016, 08:39 AM
I've been doing mobil detailing for about a year now. I do not have a pressure washer, steamer, extractor, water tank, and borrow a generator when I need it. I don't really plan on getting any of the above either except a generator of my own. I may get an extractor at some point.

Are you planing on doing just individual customer cars, or are you going to try to do dealer car lots?

mcglockin
02-27-2016, 08:46 AM
I've been doing mobil detailing for about a year now. I do not have a pressure washer, steamer, extractor, water tank, and borrow a generator when I need it. I don't really plan on getting any of the above either except a generator of my own. I may get an extractor at some point.

Are you planing on doing just individual customer cars, or are you going to try to do dealer car lots?

I plan on doing individual cars for now, dealer lots would be nice in the future but for now I'm just focusing on building a name and reputation. What do you use to clean the cars? Their water? And do you have your own shop vac?

Muddyoldgoat
02-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Karcher X series pressure washer ($299)

McCulloch 1385 steamer ($199)

Shurflo water pump ($59-$120 depending on type)

Rigid 9gal shop vac ($60) with detail kit ($39)

Check around for IBC totes. They are 275 gal tanks that get sold used after transporting food grade liquids. Kinda overkill for detailing but the price is right. I got mine for ($65) with a garden hose adapter thrown in.

Champion 75531I Generator ($899) - Expensive but very quiet and it sips gas.

i do not have experience with the Bissel or other budget extractors.

Mantilgh
02-27-2016, 09:24 AM
About 90% of the time I am able to use the customers water/power. For the others I just do a waterless/rinseless combo. I mix 4 gallons of rinseless in my bucket then dump 1/2-1 gallon into my pump sprayer.

I'll bring two 5gal buckets filled with water. One for my wash media rinse bucket and one to put into my pump sprayer for rinsing cleaner off the wheels, tires, wheel wells.

I have not run into any severely dirty cars that would require a pre pressure wash. It seems that most people that want their cars done, and have money to pay for it, have reasonably newer well keep vehicles.

I do have a wet/dry shop vac that I use as kind of as a make shift extractor as needed. I bring a stack of old terry towels to help dry what I have wetted after pulling as much moisture as I can out with the shop vac.

mcglockin
02-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Karcher X series pressure washer ($299)

McCulloch 1385 steamer ($199)

Shurflo water pump ($59-$120 depending on type)

Rigid 9gal shop vac ($60) with detail kit ($39)

Check around for IBC totes. They are 275 gal tanks that get sold used after transporting food grade liquids. Kinda overkill for detailing but the price is right. I got mine for ($65) with a garden hose adapter thrown in.

Champion 75531I Generator ($899) - Expensive but very quiet and it sips gas.

i do not have experience with the Bissel or other budget extractors.

Awesome! Thank you very much, I was thinking the Griots Garage 6 inch for a polisher when needed. I take it you use the steamer over the extractor for stains? Thank you very much for the help!

mcglockin
02-27-2016, 09:32 AM
About 90% of the time I am able to use the customers water/power. For the others I just do a waterless/rinseless combo. I mix 4 gallons of rinseless in my bucket then dump 1/2-1 gallon into my pump sprayer.

I'll bring two 5gal buckets filled with water. One for my wash media rinse bucket and one to put into my pump sprayer for rinsing cleaner off the wheels, tires, wheel wells.

I have not run into any severely dirty cars that would require a pre pressure wash. It seems that most people that want their cars done, and have money to pay for it, have reasonably newer well keep vehicles.

I do have a wet/dry shop vac that I use as kind of as a make shift extractor as needed. I bring a stack of old terry towels to help dry what I have wetted after pulling as much moisture as I can out with the shop vac.

Very cool! I like the system you use! What kind of rinseless do you use?

Mantilgh
02-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Last year I used Optimum No Rinse, this year I'm going to use Meguiars D114. I like how D114 lays flat when sprayed on the panels and doesn't bead up and roll off like ONR does. It also does not stain your wash media like ONR does.

GSKR
02-27-2016, 10:51 AM
If your gonna be committed to this for a while,100 gallon water tank with a gas powered Honda pressure washer no pump needed.Thats about 1000.00 plus hose and reel 400.00.Then get a gen for about 399.00.skip the steamer and extractor for now.just get chemicals and a polisher,this exceeded your budget a little,but I promise you your life will be easier.If you are gonna do washes you are not gonna want to waste your time with rinseless takes way to long on a moderately dirty car and for using a customer water is sometimes a pita.If I were you just starting don't even get involved with car washes you will make zero by the time you add fuel labor and chemicals.Get what you need above and seek a auto wholesaler you will make more then washing cars,or start with family and friends and your exposure being mobile will take you to the next level.