PDA

View Full Version : Question on adding new sealant

Tino7
02-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Hello I had a question on how to prepare a surface that is free of swrils for a new coat of sealant? Would I simply wash then clay bar ? Thank you for the help

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

jamesboyy
02-26-2016, 08:53 PM
As long as the surface does not have a previous LSP(wax/sealant) then yes a good wash, clay, then sealant should do fine but if you do have a previous wax or sealant on the paint then its best to use something like chemical guys citrus wash to remove old LSP you can also a few drops of dawn too then proceed with claying etc also look it clay substitutes like the clay mitt, towel or sponge

FUNX650
02-26-2016, 10:29 PM
Hello I had a question on how to prepare a surface that is free of swrils for a new coat of sealant? Would I simply wash then clay bar ?
1.) OK....The surface is swirl free is a given.

2.)
a.) Is there a Sealant currently on the surface?
b.) If so: Do you want to remove this existing
film-layer of Sealant, or not?

3.)
a.) Washing, and then claying, probably won't
totally remove the existing Sealant.
b.) Washing, and then claying, may cause some
imperfections/blemishes to occur, though.
c.) BTW: Will you be performing "The Baggie Test"?

4.) Regardless:
a.) I never clay unless I plan on polishing afterwards.
b.) That's the route you may want to consider.

Bob

Tino7
02-26-2016, 11:05 PM
2a.There is a layer of sealant.
2b. I always thought we had to remove the old sealant before applying a new layer of sealant can I leave the old layer and apply over it a new layer?

3c. I will perform the baggie test before I clay bar.

If I polish will polishing thin out the clear coat or is that only with compounding ? And I can polish by hand instead ?

I really appreciate all your help thank you

FUNX650
02-26-2016, 11:45 PM
2a.There is a layer of sealant.
2b. I always thought we had to remove the old sealant before applying a new layer of sealant can I leave the old layer and apply over it a new layer?

3c. I will perform the baggie test before I clay bar.

If I polish will polishing thin out the clear coat or is that only with compounding ? And I can polish by hand instead ?

2.b) No...not always. In fact: once the vehicles were
freshly cleaned, I've applied another layer of a Wax
or Sealant (LSPs) to a layer of existing LSP more
times than I could ever remember.

3.c) If the Baggie Test indicates that claying is needed...
then go ahead and Clay.

Afterwards...using a mild polish will remove
any marring from the claying process...without
removing an inordinate amount of clear-coat.

Bob

Eldorado2k
02-26-2016, 11:50 PM
If you'll be applying the same kind of sealant, and it passes the baggie test, then there's nothing wrong with applying sealant to a just washed car. I see no need to clay or otherwise remove a previous layer of sealant.

Tino7
02-27-2016, 05:13 AM
Thank you all for the help

StephenK
02-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Hello I had a question on how to prepare a surface that is free of swrils for a new coat of sealant? Would I simply wash then clay bar ? Thank you for the help

Are you looking for 100% swirl free? Alot of people will strive for that but when they start to realize the time and patience's it takes to achieve that some will back down. You could be looking at a few hours of polishing to get this.

Onto your question.
Like others have said I do not clay unless I plan on polishing. Reason being is clay can Marr the paint.
If you are applying new sealant cause your last sealant as wore off then just wash and seal