PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek Review: McKee's 37 Tire Coating

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jaretr1
02-26-2016, 11:54 AM
I have recently been fortunate to receive some of the new upcoming McKee's 37 products to try and test. As many of you may or may not know, this new line is the consolidation of the Pinnacle XMT and DP product lines into one, with many new and improved formulations.

One of the relatively unique products from the DP line was the Tire Coating. We are all familiar with tire shines, tire dressings etc, but an actual tire coating is pretty unique (at least to me).

I had never tried the DP tire coating, as I have always liked Blackfire and Pinnacle tire dressings.

It comes in a standard bottle with a flip top. I cleaned the tires prior to coating using whats left I had of Westleys Blech White. That had always been my go to tire cleaner. McKee's recommends using their tire cleaner prior to application of the coating. To apply the coating they also recommend using a soft bristle brush. I instead opted for a foam tire applicator (because that is what I had). It seemed to work just fine.

Before applying the coating after I had cleaned the tires:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG3255.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG3254.jpg

Half and half after one coat:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG3256.jpg

As you can see it is not overly shiny or glossy, definitely more of a satin finish. It darkens the rubber somewhat. Its a different look from many tire dressings for sure.

After a second coat:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG3257.jpg

It did get a little shinier, but its not the deep gloss shine that many tire dressings offer.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG3258.jpg

During the application, the product does foam up some as it gets worked. I used that foam to make sure I got in all the ribs and nooks and crannies of the tire. Once dry, it was completely DRY! I should have tried the white glove test, but I didnt. I did wipe my finger across teh tire and nothing! No residue came off on my finger whatsoever.

This is an interesting product. I think it will last a lot longer than a traditional tire dressing. It does not give the deep rich look of many dressings, its more of a satiny finish. For truly high shine tires, this is not the product. But for tires that look dressed and should stay dressed for a while, this is a solid option. There is also no chance of sling because there is no residue and it dries completely! It is not a forgiving product in the sense it cannot simply be applied to a dirty tire like many dressings can, so the tires do need to be pre cleaned.

Overall I liked it.

Desertnate
02-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Wow. That looks really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the price point on the product.

On my dark colored cars I like a bit more of a satin finish just like this product seems to deliver.

I'll be curious to see how this product holds up for you.

Mantilgh
02-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the review Jaretr1, looks good!

How was the consistency of the product, thin or gel like?

And is it clear or tinted?

Marc08EX
02-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Great review Jaret!! I myself am looking forward to trying this coating out. I have never used any tire coatings like you and I think it's ingenious! Shine that lasts a long time?! Where do I sign up!

Jaretr1
02-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the review Jaretr1, looks good!

How was the consistency of the product, thin or gel like?

And is it clear or tinted?

It is very thin, and its a whitish color out of the bottle. Good Question.

Jaretr1
02-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Wow. That looks really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the price point on the product.

On my dark colored cars I like a bit more of a satin finish just like this product seems to deliver.

I'll be curious to see how this product holds up for you.

The way it seemed to really coat the tire, and be completely dry..it should out last the average tire dressing. How long is the question.

Priyaka
02-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Very nice review. The coating looks good in the pics.

Any indication on the bottle on how long the coating should last?

The Guz
02-26-2016, 11:15 PM
I have DP Tire Coating and it is also white in color. Does it have a blue tint as it dries on the tire? That is how DP is.

haris300
02-26-2016, 11:41 PM
Very nice, thanks for sharing your experience. That is just the type of finish I like to see on my tires :) Hoping to test it out this weekend.

Jaretr1
03-11-2016, 01:23 PM
An update on this, its been about 2 weeks or so, actually a little more since I applied it, and it still looks as if I applied it yesterday. Granted we have had no rain lately, so that would have an impact I imagine, but so far so good!

WRAPT C5Z06
03-11-2016, 03:59 PM
It does not give the deep rich look of many dressings, its more of a satiny finish. option.
Even better!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-12-2016, 01:25 AM
Very nice review Jaret. Really like the way it looks on the tire.

Thanks for the update on durability.

hdez
03-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Another update on the durability?

Also, can we apply on top of this a tire dresser to enhance more the protection and durability?

The Guz
03-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Another update on the durability?

Also, can we apply on top of this a tire dresser to enhance more the protection and durability?

In my opinion that's a waste of product. The tire coating won't bond to an unclean/undressed area. It can be done the other way but again it's not needed as the tire coating looks great as a stand alone.

Jaretr1
03-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Like the guz said, this product needs to have a clean surface in order to bond to the tire. Otherwise it just ends up being a film that kind peels off. Trust me I learned the hard way. It is not forgiving in that respect.