PDA

View Full Version : Drying Aid with UV Protection?

Pages : [1] 2

AMarkham40
02-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Is there a drying out out there with good UV protection? Right now I apply OCW to all my vehicles but I have to apply it once the car is dry. I was looking for a product that has similar protection but can be applied during the drying process to cut down on my overall detailing time. Thanks for any suggestions.

therapy1
02-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Meguiars D156 works very well as a drying aid and leaves decent protection behind.

parshooter
02-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Meguiars D156 works very well as a drying aid and leaves decent protection behind.

:iagree:

Setec Astronomy
02-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Is there a drying out out there with good UV protection? Right now I apply OCW to all my vehicles but I have to apply it once the car is dry.

Why is that? I prefer to use it on a dry car but you can certainly use it as a drying aid.

EDIT: Even the OCW label says "wash the car...remove excess water..."

AMarkham40
02-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Why is that? I prefer to use it on a dry car but you can certainly use it as a drying aid.

EDIT: Even the OCW label says "wash the car...remove excess water..."

I came across this post from several years ago.

Don't use it diluted or as a drying aid or you'll likely see streaking. You can apply it after a single drying pass (still damp), but not wet.

I guess I could try OCW after knocking most of the water off but I was curious if there was anything out there comparable I could use on a fully wet car.

parshooter
02-26-2016, 12:13 PM
... if there was anything out there comparable I could use on a fully wet car.
I use D156 after a RW, car is pretty wet still and it works great.

FUNX650
02-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Chris Thomas has stated on several occasions
that OCW was not originally formulated to be
used as a drying aid...and should not be diluted
for best performance (i.e.: durability).

Yet...it has also been suggested that it can be,
(and has been) applied on top of "residual water"
without its durability suffering.

•But another way I look at it is:
-Use it every other (or even every time) you
dry a (clean) wet vehicle, and you dont have
to worry about durability.

•And, IMO:
-you definitely will be getting some of Optimum's
patented UV protection in either dry/wet scenarios.
(An excellent way to attain your stated goal.)

Bob

Setec Astronomy
02-26-2016, 12:15 PM
Well, DG Aquawax is designed to be a drying aid. The reason I don't really like doing it that way, with any wax, is trying to determine what your towel is wet with, product or water.

As far as I know, no product is advertised to have patented UV protection other than OCW or ONRWW. IIRC the patent had to do partly with getting the ingredients to stay together, so it's not impossible there are other products that provide UV protection.

You could try a QD mix of ONRWW.

Jaretr1
02-26-2016, 12:27 PM
I think you can use most quick detailers which have some elements of protection as drying aids. I have used several with never a problem.

AMarkham40
02-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Adam's Guard & Gloss H20 caught my eye. I emailed them & they said it contains "some" UV protection. I wasn't sure if we were allowed to discuss their products here or not.

PA DETAILER
02-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html) Done. :xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
02-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Adam's Guard & Gloss H20 caught my eye. I emailed them & they said it contains "some" UV protection. I wasn't sure if we were allowed to discuss their products here or not.
A glossy surface will tend to reflect more of the
Sun's different types of "rays", moreso than a
non-glossy surface.

I suppose that car-care products that are capable
of providing such gloss to a surface could be
interpreted as providing "some" UV-protection.

Bob

Setec Astronomy
02-26-2016, 12:57 PM

Yeah, unsupported products aside, the topic of UV protection is fraught with confusion, this came up recently on the Optimum forum, they said that Opti-Seal has no UV inhibitors, that the coatings have more than OCW, and that OCW is of no benefit on top of the Optimum coatings, because it won't adhere.

I personally would think that if the UV inhibitors in OCW can penetrate clearcoat, they should be able to penetrate a coating (or pass through it since it's so thin). Dr. G has in the past talked about migration of the inhibitors in factory clear down into the color and primer coats, etc., but what do I know.

The question of whether OCW/ONRWW are the only products that have UV inhibitors is also a confusing one, as I (quickly) review the patents, they seem to be more about the method in which the absorber(s) is combined in the product so that it functions properly, not just that it has absorbers in it. It's conceivable that other products achieve this through another method, which would therefore skirt the patents, which are about 15 years old now.

AMarkham40
02-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html) Done. :xyxthumbs:

Thank you! Prima Hydro Wax also caught my eye when I was doing some research. I emailed Nick@Prima earlier today about this products' UV properties. His response a moment ago was:

"Yes it does offer UV protection. Durability over wet paint is about 30-45 days. Over dry it last up to about 60 days."

Loach
02-26-2016, 03:24 PM
I haven't noticed any streaking issues with OCW using it when the paint is wet. I still flip the drying towel over for a final wipedown around the paint just to make sure I got everything. If you flood the paint before drying you'll sheet a lot of water off and this will help prevent any excessive dilution that could occur if the paint is too wet. So give that a shot with OCW if you're short on time.

I really like using Sonax High Speed Wax when the car is wet as a drying aid, this is what they primarily designed this product for and I've noticed great results. For me it seems like it's the perfect consistency and spray pattern to help clean up wet paintwork. I'll have to open Prima Hydro up and test both of those out together.

With regards to UV protection, I feel that if you have a quality clear coat applied to the paint that hasn't been thinned by excessive wetsanding or heavy cutting and you maintain this paint through regular washes, waxes/sealings, then you're not going to notice any significant UV inflicted fading. Many users on this forum will testify that they've been able to maintain their paint using a variety of different products over a very long time period. So I purchase OCW less based on the UV claims and more on the ease of use, nice scent, visible durability, great results and low price. But I'll have to spend some more time to run through Optimum's testing to see what kind of results they got, here's the link to their UV Patent and test results down towards the bottom: (OCW UV Patent & Test Results) (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=%22ghodoussi,+vahid%22&OS=%22ghodoussi,+vahid%22&RS=%22ghodoussi,+vahid%22)