PDA

View Full Version : Earliest memory detailing a car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

LEDetailing
02-26-2016, 05:08 AM
My mom and dad tell me a story about me being 4-5 years old and picking rocks out of the tire treads of cars in my dad's used car showroom. I was told I started doing this on my own.

Best part, I was using one of those miny pocket clip screwdrivers. I wouldn't let my 4 year old within 30 ft of my cars with a screwdriver. I vaguely remember the indoor showroom, he moved locations when I was 5-6. If that doesn't scream destined for auto detailing I don't know what does.

I also remember washing my aunt and uncles diesel Oldsmobile with dawn and wash clothes. Two buckets of course:) One with rocks in the bottom, the other with less rocks from the clothes being dropped.

Mike lambert
02-26-2016, 07:12 AM
At the age of 6 on Saturday mornings it was wash day with dad, then once a month we spent the day with Simonize wax and a lot of words I did not understand!

dlc95
02-26-2016, 08:10 AM
When I was probably 6, I got a "Lock Up Key Car" for easter. It came with a little packet of Turtle Wax. After my Dad explained what it was for, and how to use it, I fell in love with the idea of a car's paint being protected. A couple years later I remember helping my Dad wash our white 1986 Buick Century. Mom, Dad, sis, and I all went to my grandma, and grandpa's house in Pontiac, and that's where we washed the car. My grandpa had some Turtle Wax in a glass bottle, and that is what Dad and I used to wax the car.

Ten years after that I bought the Megs Deep Crystal system, and Gold Class. I bought a Black & Decker 6" orbital (like the one pictured) to help me with the labor. Those were some good times.

Knozzmoeking
02-26-2016, 08:44 AM
A 1960's era Olds Delmont 88 (Rocket V8) with a hood the size of Montana, a bucket a sponge and whatever soap was laying around. Followed later by some incredibly hard to apply Blue Coral product. Oh, and always in direct sunlight.

parshooter
02-26-2016, 09:10 AM
I vaguely remember helping my dad wash his car (1960s). I do remember when I got my first car, washing and waxing all the time. My mom said I was going to wash the paint off.

Paul A.
02-26-2016, 09:59 AM
My earliest recollection is helping my father rub off the crusted, old school wax at the time (maybe Simonize) of our '65 Chevy. I remember using baby diapers and it was like removing concrete!

asianisafish
02-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Helping my dad clean his car....

....using paper towels and windex on the paint....

:)

KBsToy
02-26-2016, 12:12 PM
I remember using 3 n 1 oil on our 59 chevy before going on vacation :)

jamesboyy
02-26-2016, 12:43 PM
I remember washing cars with various family members whether it was in the rain or the hot sun then let them air dry or blow dry as we took a spin around town

TTQ B4U
02-26-2016, 03:25 PM
I was about 10 years old when my older brother showed me how to detail. Began with a rotary and old school single stage paints.

Kamakaz1961
02-26-2016, 03:32 PM
I vaguely remember helping my dad wash his car (1960s). I do remember when I got my first car, washing and waxing all the time. My mom said I was going to wash the paint off.

:dblthumb2: +1 here too! My 1st car I helped wash was in the 60's MY 1st ride was a 1975 Chevy Luv Pickup!

FUNX650
02-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Weren't any cars around the homestead when
I was young and growing up on the farm.
Does watering-down mules and hinnies count?

Bob

WAXOFF
02-26-2016, 05:18 PM
I always helped my Dad wash his cars but when I was about 14 he had friends who wanted their cars washed and waxed so I would consider that my beginning in the detailing world.That would have been around 1968. Get the Turtle wax out and go to it. They actually gave me money to it it also. Then I bought some "Blue Coral" with the bottle that was the cleaner and the little blue jar that was the wax. How many used that stuff. One panel at a time or you had a heck of a time getting it off. I bought my first rotary in 1977 and stiil have it a Black and Decker. Man how times have changed.

LEDetailing
02-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Great stories everyone. I remember loving to vacuum the house with my mom as a little kid too (5-6). I didn't like dusting, but once I got started "watch out". Residential detailing if you will.

I would totally buy some Meguiar's furniture polish if it was still in production.

Maybe Mike can lend me some 100 year old furniture polish out of the collection to try out:)

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-26-2016, 05:27 PM
When I was probably 6, I got a "Lock Up Key Car" for easter. It came with a little packet of Turtle Wax. After my Dad explained what it was for, and how to use it, I fell in love with the idea of a car's paint being protected. A couple years later I remember helping my Dad wash our white 1986 Buick Century. Mom, Dad, sis, and I all went to my grandma, and grandpa's house in Pontiac, and that's where we washed the car. My grandpa had some Turtle Wax in a glass bottle, and that is what Dad and I used to wax the car.

Ten years after that I bought the Megs Deep Crystal system, and Gold Class. I bought a Black & Decker 6" orbital (like the one pictured) to help me with the labor. Those were some good times.

You wanna know what's sad?

Is special moments like that in our life when we were younger we didn't think they were so special.

Looking back at my childhood stuff that I thought was normal or boring, turns out to be some of my best memories.

It's really odd what age does to you.