PDA

View Full Version : Well... I am a dumbass. I need some advice on fixing my mistake please!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Chevyfanaddict
02-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Ok so a couple months ago i spent about 15 hours polishing out the BLACK paint on my 2008 Corvette Z06 and had it damn near to perfection! Used orange/M105, white/m205, wolfgang DG, and finished with Pinacle Souveran. Looked spectacular!

Fast forward to today. I washed the car two weeks ago but it just sat in the garage and since its black its just a dust magnet. I pull it out today and decided that i need to re-wash the car so i start spraying it off and realize that im out of my good car wash soap and ill be damned if i use dish soap! So... I say hey it rinsed off pretty good and actually looks clean still so i decide i dont need to any stinking soap and i blow dry it off with my leaf blower. HERES WHERE I F'ED UP! I took my Griots waffle microfiber and started wiping the remaining little dropplets! Damnit!!! Pull it into the sun and now it looks like it has buffing holograms in it EVERYWHERE!!!

What do some you advise that i do? Go back over the entire car again with M205 and a white pad? I have some Menzerna P085RD too. Would that stuff possibly take out the holograms? Any advise is appreciated!

Setec Astronomy
02-25-2016, 09:15 PM
What do some you advise that i do? Go back over the entire car again with M205 and a white pad? I have some Menzerna P085RD too. Would that stuff possibly take out the holograms? Any advise is appreciated!

Do a test spot with the Menz, if that isn't doing it go to the M205. Sorry this happened, order some car wash NOW before you forget!

7.3powerstroke
02-25-2016, 09:17 PM
There is no way of knowing what will work and what wont. Start with the softest pad and mildest polish and if that doesnt work just get more agressive till you reach your satisfaction level. it would also be great if you could post some pictures. Maybe some of the newer members can see how quickly one can mess up nice paint. Maybe you can prevent someone else from making the same mistake. Sorry this happened to you. Good luck.

rbss
02-25-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm afraid you will have to polish again. I would start with m205 and a black finishing pad if you have one. Do a test spot and make sure you are happy with the results before doing the complete car.

goldenlight
02-25-2016, 09:30 PM
I did something similar. Just use a finishing polish and you will be ok.

llively
02-25-2016, 09:44 PM
I dont use Meguiars very often. Is the 205 a polish? Some of the polishes out their have fillers. So you think you buffed out all the swirls only to find out that it only filled it! Dish soap removes wax and fillers. Perhaps thats what happened... I know what it's like to do all that work only to mess up and have to do it again.

Chevyfanaddict
02-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Ok I already went out and bought some soap. Trying out Griots Garage Brilliant Finish car wash. I usually use Mothers California Gold.

Ill look to see if I have any black finishing pads and try some of the menzerna first I suppose and if that doesn't work ill try some M205 on the finishing pad next. Do any of you suppose that The Menzerna on a White pad could have any mild cutting affect?

If the sun is out tomorrow (Washington state :/ you just never know) ill try to snap some pics of my fubar and post for others to see.

Thanks to all that replied

Setec Astronomy
02-25-2016, 10:44 PM
Do any of you suppose that The Menzerna on a White pad could have any mild cutting affect?

Yes.

AGOatemywallet
02-25-2016, 10:51 PM
I predict that the holograms were there the entire time and washing with dish soap removed your LSP, which was filling in the defects.

Did you do an IPA wipedown during your Test Spot after each step to confirm that it wasn't the oils in the polish that was hiding the true condition of the paint?

Chevyfanaddict
02-25-2016, 10:55 PM
I predict that the holograms were there the entire time and washing with dish soap removed your LSP, which was filling in the defects.

Did you do an IPA wipedown during your Test Spot after each step to confirm that it wasn't the oils in the polish that was hiding the true condition of the paint?

Lol I didnt wash with dish soap. I said i would be damned if i ever did! I do know better than that haha. No the car WAS polished correctly and checked with a ipa wipedown and a high powered LED light.

Detail-Impressions
02-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Life we live, my mistakes, learn from our mistakes & move forward with more knowledge.
Do not beat yourself up.
Let's find the answer to fix the problem.
Least aggressive method first in test spot, increase as needed to repair.

dlc95
02-25-2016, 11:34 PM
I'd just use the M205 on a white, or black pad, seal, and enjoy.

LEDetailing
02-26-2016, 04:42 AM
That is a bummer. Next time buy the silver, white or yellow Z06:)

Nothing a little time and polish can't fix. Subconsciously you intentionally marred your paint, just so you could repolish it.

RPM_BR
02-26-2016, 05:44 AM
It seems your car has a soft paint.
If I were in your position, I would consider coating it.
PBL v2 perhaps? Easy to apply, just like a WOWA sealant. :)

mwoolfso
02-26-2016, 07:46 AM

This is my first thought as well, but Pinnacle doesn't have fillers if I recall. 105 can leave some marring but 205 should take them out. A waffle weave would leave holograms? Hmmm... not so sure about that either, but you know how you wiped the panels... so if the holograms look like they are cut in the same path of your wiping technique that could be a sign.

Good luck getting them out - shouldn't be a big deal.