PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice on Detail plan

IBAUCLAPlaya
02-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Hi there,
I’m new to register on these forums, but have spent plenty of time researching over the years. I’m planning to detail both of my vehicles this spring: 1997 White Supra garage queen and 2012 White Civic daily driver.

The Supra is an Arizona vehicle and the paint is in ok condition for its age, albeit a bit thin in some spots to the eye. Also it has some light scratches/swirls so I need to do some correction. I’ve owned the car for about 3 years, it sits in the garage most of the time and only driven on nice sunny days. Since purchasing, I’ve only clayed and applied Collinite 845. I only plan to detail this annually since it is rarely driven. Only sees about 2000 miles/yr of dry sunny days.

The Civic is driven 25k miles/yr and goes through Ohio Winters. Durability is far more important here vs. looks & shine. I only plan to detail this 2x per year, Spring & Fall. I need something that is strong enough to last through 6-month Ohio winter.
Here is what I’ve laid out thus far.

BOTH CARS PREP

Wash with Dawn Dish soap & dry
Iron X on dry car, wipe down affected areas using wet micro fiber, pressure rinse, dry.
Nanoskin fine sponge with nanoskin glide, dry
Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish with Lake County White CCS pad on speed 5. Buff off w/ microfiber. If the white pad doesn’t work to fix scratches/swirls, I’ll try pink for more cutting
Wipe down with Blackfire Crystal coat paint prep
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish with Lake County Grey CCS pad on speed 4. Buff off w/ microfiber
Wipe down with Blackfire Crystal coat paint prep

SUPRA LSP

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection with Lake County Blue CCS pad on speed 3.5. Buff off w/ microfiber.
Let cure 8 hours
Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba paste wax with hand foam applicator. Wipe on, wipe off with microfiber before dries.

CIVIC LSP

Spring - Blackfire Crystal Seal w/ included applicator pad. No buffing
Fall - Collinite 845 w/ Lake County Red CCS pad on speed 3.5. Buff off w/ microfiber.

Questions:

Is the nanoskin fine sponge sufficient, or should I get 6” pad to use with DA polisher?
To save $$, Is DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss safe to use instead of Nanoskin glide for decontamination? If so, at what dilution rate?
Do I need to be using the Blackfire Crystal coat paint prep between polishes & paint sealant steps?
Is Collinite 845 strong enough to last the Ohio winter? Or would you recommend something better?
Should I be using any Wax-as-you-Dry type product on either car as I wash them?
I plan to use Meguiars Gold class soap for washings & DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss diluted 3oz to 32oz water as quick detailer. Is this ok for these LSP’s?

Please let me know if you see any issues in my plan noted above, or can help answer my specific questions.

TIA

Mantilgh
02-25-2016, 06:03 PM
First, welcome to Autogeek!!!

1. Sponge should be fine and I like using clay products by hand. I'm a bit scared to try to do it with a DA, but others do it with out problem.

2. You should be able to use DP rinseless as your clay lube. I just use ONR or D114 at their wash ratio, but typically the clay lube ratios are a little higher.

3. You don't need to use the paint prep between the compound and the polish. You may not really need it after the polish for your sealant application, but it would not hurt. It may give you a little better bonding, but I think it is intended as a prep for their coating.

4. The 845 is good stuff, and with proper prep should get you through the winter. It is actually a wax/synthetic hybrid.

5. I say yes to the wax as you dry products if you are talking about your regular wash in to maintain it. It should give a little lubrication while you dry and supposedly adds little extra protection.

6. I wouldn't think either would hurt most any LSP.

IBAUCLAPlaya
03-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Any other feedback?

IBAUCLAPlaya
06-07-2016, 09:22 PM
update. So I'm finally beginning the process and have started to try and polish.

Started with SRC polish on white pad light pressure. Then added pressure.
Then switched to pink pad light pressure. Then added pressure.

Defects are improving after several passes, but still present. For the next step, should I go to an orange pad with the SRC polish?

Or I have Griot's #3 which appears to be a bit more aggressive first? If so, which pad(s) and pressure should I try?