PDA

View Full Version : Update:Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer(Aerosol)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

willowcat11
02-24-2016, 03:33 PM
I have now communicated with Megs 3 different times, in which they have been Very professional, courteous, and prompt to to help. Just a solid group of people working over there, and I appreciate all of their help.

The only thing is, is that after all the help and everything I have done, I have NOT been able to remove any of the Plastic Restorer off of my Exterior Trim.

These are the things I have tried:

Numerous applications of D101 APC 4:1, trying to rub off as well as I can with microfiber applicators.

Then tried with tooth brushes, then tried with a tire brush.

After this didn't work, I used D108 Super Degreaser 4:1 with all of the above applicators and then brushes.

After this didn't work, I used Meguiars All Wheel and Tire Cleaner with all of the above mentioned applicators and brushes.

After this didn't work, I used a strong IPA 35% solution to no avail.

Then Megs suggested that I use Ultimate Compound, which I used numerous times with a Microfiber applicator, and rubbing it in as hard as I could.

After all of this, nothing in appearance nor feel, has changed what-so-ever with the trim. It is still dark, it still has the same sheen.

When I prepared the trim for the application of this product, it was VERY faded light grey and completely cleaned. After the use of UB aerosol it became much darker with a sheen.

The reason I want to remove this product is because I don't like the artificial look of it. I really love the looks of WETS and want to remove this stuff.

I have no idea of what to do next. What would be the next step up in aggressiveness to remove this stuff?

I am considering Turpentine, Paint thinner, or some kind of Mineral Spirits to remove this stuff.

I think that Meguiars could have at least put a warning on their packaging, that says:

"This stuff will NOT come off, no matter what you try, So Just Deal with it"!!!

At least I would have known to steer clear! I'm not angry at anyone at Megs, they are cool people. I just would have hoped for more warning of HOW strong this stuff is.

DaveT435
02-24-2016, 03:44 PM
I have now communicated with Megs 3 different times, in which they have been Very professional, courteous, and prompt to to help. Just a solid group of people working over there, and I appreciate all of their help.

The only thing is, is that after all the help and everything I have done, I have NOT been able to remove any of the Plastic Restorer off of my Exterior Trim.

These are the things I have tried:

Numerous applications of D101 APC 4:1, trying to rub off as well as I can with microfiber applicators.

Then tried with tooth brushes, then tried with a tire brush.

After this didn't work, I used D108 Super Degreaser 4:1 with all of the above applicators and then brushes.

After this didn't work, I used Meguiars All Wheel and Tire Cleaner with all of the above mentioned applicators and brushes.

After this didn't work, I used a strong IPA 35% solution to no avail.

Then Megs suggested that I use Ultimate Compound, which I used numerous times with a Microfiber applicator, and rubbing it in as hard as I could.

After all of this, nothing in appearance nor feel, has changed what-so-ever with the trim. It is still dark, it still has the same sheen.

When I prepared the trim for the application of this product, it was VERY faded light grey and completely cleaned. After the use of UB aerosol it became much darker with a sheen.

The reason I want to remove this product is because I don't like the artificial look of it. I really love the looks of WETS and want to remove this stuff.

I have no idea of what to do next. What would be the next step up in aggressiveness to remove this stuff?

I am considering Turpentine, Paint thinner, or some kind of Mineral Spirits to remove this stuff.

I think that Meguiars could have at least put a warning on their packaging, that says:

"This stuff will NOT come off, no matter what you try, So Just Deal with it"!!!

At least I would have known to steer clear! I'm not angry at anyone at Megs, they are cool people. I just would have hoped for more warning of HOW strong this stuff is.

Kind of taking this a different direction, sorry. Did this stuff actually make the trim black, and it's staying that way no matter what you do? The reason I ask is I have a neighbor with a CRV the rear bumper cover was replaced when it was almost new. They used an aftermarket piece and it's faded terribly. Where it's light gray with almost white stripes. I've tried several products with not much success. If this stuff will make it black and keep it that way I'm sure he would be happy.

FUNX650
02-24-2016, 03:50 PM
:wow:

What a great testimonial to the restorative
value, and durability (among other attributes),
of this particular Meguiar's product!

Bob

WRAPT C5Z06
02-24-2016, 04:21 PM

Bob
LOL...agreed!

AGOatemywallet
02-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Is this a Marketing ploy?

Justin at Final Inspection
02-24-2016, 05:41 PM
I can vouch that this stuff is pretty permanent. Thinner will take it off though.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/camaro00/IMG_20150322_111223_964_zpsq4btsoyw.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/camaro00/media/IMG_20150322_111223_964_zpsq4btsoyw.jpg.html)

dpk20x
02-24-2016, 06:15 PM
I have w feeling you might just be able to apply the WETS on top of this product to get the look that you're after. I know that I've applied some on top of an existing trim coating on my Avalanche and it made the trim slightly darker and less shiny.

The Guz
02-24-2016, 06:26 PM
It's pretty darn durable. Not a marketing ploy.

I just let it fade over time. Maybe D101 at full strength may take it completely off. Just a thought.

AGOatemywallet
02-24-2016, 09:09 PM
It's pretty darn durable. Not a marketing ploy.

I was joking that it was an undercover Megs Rep who was complaining that the product lasted too long and couldn't be removed with a crow bar.

BrutalNoodle
02-24-2016, 09:47 PM
I noticed you didn't mention anything about using a DA? Maybe try that before going the paint thinner route?

There's no comparison when it comes to DA with brush attachment vs elbow grease. The machine wins by a mile.

Joshwaa
02-24-2016, 11:11 PM
Naptha should do the trick.

willowcat11
02-24-2016, 11:32 PM

Bob

It is a great testimonial Bob. This stuff is as durable as all get out. It has lasted through numerous snow storms, salt, rain storms and freezing temps with it being outside 24/7.

Eldorado2k
02-24-2016, 11:38 PM
I have w feeling you might just be able to apply the WETS on top of this product to get the look that you're after. I know that I've applied some on top of an existing trim coating on my Avalanche and it made the trim slightly darker and less shiny.

This will Not work^
I've tried applying Megs D4510 over it and it does absolutely nothing but sit on top of it.

@Willowcat11. I have your answer... Magic Eraser w/either D101 or D108. You're welcome.

willowcat11
02-25-2016, 12:03 AM
Kind of taking this a different direction, sorry. Did this stuff actually make the trim black, and it's staying that way no matter what you do? The reason I ask is I have a neighbor with a CRV the rear bumper cover was replaced when it was almost new. They used an aftermarket piece and it's faded terribly. Where it's light gray with almost white stripes. I've tried several products with not much success. If this stuff will make it black and keep it that way I'm sure he would be happy.

DaveT435,

My Exterior Trim was like you described of your friends. Very Faded light grey with white lines and streaks.

When I applied the UB Aerosol with a very light coat, all of that grey went away, and any streaks evened out and just blended in. I then applied a second coat to ensure full coverage. Any dirt, salt, anything that gets on that trim just comes right off after spraying or wiping it off.

I did not exaggerate one iota of all the things I have tried to remove this stuff. It literally looks the same as the day I applied it after all those cleanings.

I want to retract on a word I used to describe it. I think I said I didn't like because I felt it had a fake shine to it. Those are incorrect words I used. I don't think It has a "FAKE" shine to it. I am just liking the results I have been getting from WETS on my Dad's and Brother's cars, and then on my Cowl, and Front Grill of my car. The UB Aerosol just had, to me personally, just a little more than I was looking for.

The member, The Guz, on here has done some really nice reviews on this product.

It takes some Prep work so you can protect your paint, headlights, and other car surfaces from UB getting on. What I mean by that, is that I highly recommend, like The Guz does in his Review, that you tape all areas directly adjacent to the trim. I actually used 2" wide tape, and taped three rows deep, so that I had covered about 6" of paint from the trim. Any wind and this aerosol can get all over the place. If it does get on another surface you can Immediately wipe it off. I stress Immediately, because this stuff dries in record fast time. I'm talking seconds not minutes. If it gets on your paint, and you count to 15 and try to wipe it off, it gets real grabby and very difficult to remove. Once it's on, it's on. As you can see from all my cleaning.

willowcat11
02-25-2016, 12:04 AM
This will Not work^
I've tried applying Megs D4510 over it and it does absolutely nothing but sit on top of it.

@Willowcat11. I have your answer... Magic Eraser w/either D101 or D108. You're welcome.

Eldorado2K,

I hear about the Magic Eraser all the time on AG. What the heck is it?