PDA

View Full Version : Here's my recent purchase for my first time detailing!

Pages : [1] 2

JoeyGT
02-24-2016, 02:04 PM
a. Griots Garage Random Orbital Perfect Starter Kit

b. 3D HD Speed

c. 3D HD Poxy

d. Griots Garage Paint Cleaning Clay (will use with soap water during wash process)

e. Gold Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt

f. Speed Master Jr. Brush

g. Mothers Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit

h. The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave

i. Griots Garage Wheel Cleaner

What do you guys think? Any personal tips or tricks to keep in mind? This is my first time using a polisher and it will be on my own car, so I am nervous :o

I was planning on using the orange pad included in the kit with the HD Speed. I heard HD products are noob friendly, so I chose this line.

Bill1234
02-24-2016, 02:09 PM

b. 3D HD Speed

c. 3D HD Poxy

d. Griots Garage Paint Cleaning Clay (will use with soap water during wash process)

What do you guys think? Any personal tips or tricks to keep in mind? This is my first time using a polisher and it will be on my own car, so I am nervous :o

I was planning on using the orange pad included in the kit with the HD Speed. I heard HD products are noob friendly, so I chose this line.

This is pretty good to start. What about wash media? You should have 2 buckets with grit guards in each and a third wheel bucket to reduce cross contamination.

Mothers 3 brush kit is great and recommend it.

I would even try a leaf blower to dry your car, much faster and then use the waffle weave.

JoeyGT
02-24-2016, 02:15 PM
This is pretty good to start. What about wash media? You should have 2 buckets with grit guards in each and a third wheel bucket to reduce cross contamination.

Mothers 3 brush kit is great and recommend it.

I would even try a leaf blower to dry your car, much faster and then use the waffle weave.

I'm not a complete noob! I have 3 buckets (soap, clean water, wheels). I also have a leafblower as well, and will follow that up with the guzzler.

As for soap, I have a free sample of Wolfgang Auto Bathe on the way. I also have CG Glossworkz.

Bill1234
02-24-2016, 02:18 PM
I'm not a complete noob! I have 3 buckets (soap, clean water, wheels). I also have a leafblower as well, and will follow that up with the guzzler.

As for soap, I have a free sample of Wolfgang Auto Bathe on the way. I also have CG Glossworkz.

I have one soap just to spend less, maxi suds 2 by chemical guys, I use that and might try optimum or hd or meguiars hyper wash next

goldenlight
02-24-2016, 02:51 PM
MY Backyard Tricks

Use painters tape for the rubber..
Prime the pad then after use pea size drops per panel. A little bit goes a long way.
For final Coat of wax you should be using no more then 1oz maybe 2oz at most since your a newbie.
Always do the test spot.. Start with the White pad and if you don't like it move up to the orange pad..
Do Not wash when surface is HOT. This will cause famous water spots.
Read forum.. too many tips to list here.

I personally like 5 inch backing plate with 5.5 inch pads. I didn't purchased this until I needed new pads.

Im not crazy about about the speedmaster jr. Breaks easy I would get these instead. Wheel Woolies 3-Piece Kit, wheel cleaning tools, wheel brushes (http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolies.html)

kwwhite1
02-24-2016, 03:20 PM
I agree on the 5 inch backing plate with the 5.5 inch pads they seem to be easier to maneuver around vehicles.

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Got more than one pad? You're going to need 6-8 depending on what size car you have. Generally with AIO products like Speed you should be using the least aggressive pad possible to get the job done to reduce the chances of pad marring. My go to pad for Speed is a green Buff and Shine since it seems to play nice on all paint types.

Otherwise it looks like you are really going in the right direction! Post some pics so we can see how it's going.

ski2
02-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Agree on a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads--more effective and easier to work with and they will save you money as you need allot more than one pad.

Here's an article by Mike regarding the number of pads you need:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

Take a look at the B&S flat 5.5" pads--very durable.

Don't forget to do a test spot to dial in the right pad, # of passes, pressure, etc.

HD Speed is a great product for your first time polishing. Remember not to use allot of product with HD--5-6 pea sized drops for first section then 3-4 for each additional section--don't rub it into the pad and don't spray the pad with QD or anything.

Don't forget to do a test spot to dial in the right pad, # of passes, pressure, etc.

custmsprty
02-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Agree on a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads--more effective and easier to work with and they will save you money as you need allot more than one pad.

Here's an article by Mike regarding the number of pads you need:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

Take a look at the B&S flat 5.5" pads--very durable.

HD Speed is a great product for your first time polishing. Remember not to use allot of product with HD--5-6 pea sized drops for first section then 3-4 for each additional section--don't rub it into the pad and don't spray the pad with QD or anything.

:iagree:

Do not prime the pad with Speed, no detail spray etc.

Personally I don't prime my pads when using any 3D/HD products.

And remember, a little goes a long way with all of their products. They are extremely cost effective.

I have used an orange Buff and Shine pad pretty much exclusively with Speed. I have achieved excellent correction results and no micro marring and a pretty much flawless finish. At least that has been my experience with Speed.

JoeyGT
02-24-2016, 05:28 PM
So now I am stuck! My products are on their way and I'll only be receiving one pad for the HD Speed... :(

Any way I can clean my pad as I go?

ski2
02-24-2016, 05:50 PM
:iagree:

Do not prime the pad with Speed, no detail spray etc.

Personally I don't prime my pads when using any 3D/HD products.

And remember, a little goes a long way with all of their products. They are extremely cost effective.

I have used an orange Buff and Shine pad pretty much exclusively with Speed. I have achieved excellent correction results and no micro marring and a pretty much flawless finish. At least that has been my experience with Speed.

Same here--orange B&S flat pads--very little product with all HD Polishes and Poxy.

ski2
02-24-2016, 05:59 PM
So now I am stuck! My products are on their way and I'll only be receiving one pad for the HD Speed... :(

Even when you have a good number of pads you still need to "clean them on the fly" after each section or two. But if you wash them then you need to let them dry overnight before you can use them again.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html

You're better of ordering more pads before you start this process--one or two pads per car is a sure road to failure.

Did you ask AG to sub the 6" BP for a 5" and 5.5" pads for the 6.5"pad in the kit?? They have done it for others.

Have you done any reading and watching of videos??

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/23722-car-detailing-articles-mike-phillips.html

custmsprty
02-24-2016, 06:01 PM

You can never have enough pads and it's absolutely critical to polishing and paint correction. I used 5 orange pads on a 370Z this past weekend.

Here's why, you will burn up that one pad and that's money in the garbage. You can only get it so clean, it's gets loaded up with junk and you are running that junk over your paint. Having more pads will allow you to perfect the paint and it will save you money in the long run as you won't wear them out as fast. Heat buildup which is a by product of polishing is death to pads and product. It leads to dusting and gumming up of the pad.

So, you can never have enough pads.

I tossed those 5 brand new pads my washing machine right after I finished the job and they came out like new.

PS I love XMT pad cleaner, I spray them and let it soak in for about 10 minutes before tossing them in the washing machine.

goldenlight
02-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Clean pads often.. Usually after each Panel... I use a Medium like toothbrush..or "pad conditioner"
:props:

KB in MD
02-25-2016, 11:13 AM

b. 3D HD Speed

c. 3D HD Poxy

d. Griots Garage Paint Cleaning Clay (will use with soap water during wash process) There are much better clay lubes on the market

Nice list you got there :dblthumb2: