PDA

View Full Version : Disinfectant wipe liquid on bumper...

E93to
02-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Hello. I have registered an account to ask a question regarding spilled disinfectant wipe liquid on my car’s front bumper. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to detailing, but at least I love to keep my car clean!

Today morning (Wednesday), I was carrying empty plastic bottle of disinfectant wipe to garbage can, but I dropped it in front of my car. As it landed on the floor, the liquid splashed on my car’s front bumper!

I was wondering if I can clean it off with quick detailer and microfiber/terry cotton towel instead of fully washing the car.

My car was throughly hand-washed in Sunday afternoon. The car was driven on Monday and Tuesday (both sunny days) for 10 miles each (20 miles total, and the car spent 100 minutes on the streets in total while going to work and coming back home). In other words, car shouldn't be too dusty..

So can I clean just the bumper safely with quick detailer? Or does that disinfectant wipe’s liquid require full wash with water and car soap to prevent the liquid from being etched into the paint? My car was detailed and waxed (Collinite 845) in mid-December. I never drove the car in snow or rain except for one occasion.

Thanks in advance

Setec Astronomy
02-24-2016, 02:28 PM
I guess the first advice, since we don't know what's in the product you spilled on there, is get it off as quickly as possible. If it's still wet, wipe it with your detailing cloth, and then go back over it with your quick detailer.

If this is some really strong disinfectant with bleach in it or something, maybe you want to locally spray it with water, or wet a detailing towel with water and wipe down the area, then go back and dry it with your quick detailer and a fresh towel.

E93to
02-24-2016, 02:37 PM
I guess the first advice, since we don't know what's in the product you spilled on there, is get it off as quickly as possible. If it's still wet, wipe it with your detailing cloth, and then go back over it with your quick detailer.

If this is some really strong disinfectant with bleach in it or something, maybe you want to locally spray it with water, or wet a detailing towel with water and wipe down the area, then go back and dry it with your quick detailer and a fresh towel.

Thanks for the reply. It's a common household disinfectant wipes: http://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Disinfecting-Wipes-Value-Blossom/dp/B00M977Y4C

The liquid should have dried now... I'm now at work. I'll be home at 8 pm or so (almost 12 hours after the splash)...

This has been bothering me all day lol

I'll clean he bumper off with really wet microfiber towel. And then clean the bumper with quick detailer.

Again, thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it

E93to
02-24-2016, 02:53 PM
I'm sure those disinfectant wipes don't have bleach in them since human hands come in direct contact with them. And they are used to clean things that are touched by humans. As for whether they alcohol in them, I'm not sure...