PDA

View Full Version : Got Rupes?

Pages : [1] 2

LEDetailing
02-24-2016, 01:50 AM
Got Rupes? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/99040-got-rupes.html)

I just received my first ever DA polisher today. The Rupes 15 Mark II. Purchased on Autogeek using my gift certificates. Thanks for running the GC sale! Of course it was snowing/sleeting today so no polishing. I can't wait to try it out. It feels very light and ergonomic.

Also, got the complimentary copy of Mike Phillips book on how to use "The Rupes Bigfoot Paint Polishing System". Don't worry Mike I had no choice but to read the book first. Glad I did too, there are a ton of helpful tips throughout. Love the photos, very easy to understand directions/writing style.

The Rupes will compliment my Dewalt rotary. I feel like polishers might be like guns, they have a tendency to multiply. Should I start hiding my polishers in the safe too. My wife will never know to look.

Mike Phillips
02-24-2016, 08:44 AM
I just received my first ever DA polisher today. The Rupes 15 Mark II. Purchased on Autogeek using my gift certificates. Thanks for running the GC sale! Of course it was snowing/sleeting today so no polishing. I can't wait to try it out. It feels very light and ergonomic.

Congratulations on adding the RUPES BigFoot Mark II 15 to your tool arsenal!

Also, got the complimentary copy of Mike Phillips book on how to use "The Rupes Bigfoot Paint Polishing System".

Don't worry Mike I had no choice but to read the book first. Glad I did too, there are a ton of helpful tips throughout.

Love the photos, very easy to understand directions/writing style.

Thanks for sharing the above about my RUPES book. Appreciate the kind words. I takes a lot of work to write a how-to book.

:)

Dylan@RUPES
02-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Congrats! The 15 Mark II is my favorite tool in the lineup currently so good choice, and thanks for choosing a RUPES polisher. Cheers!

kwwhite1
02-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Congrats on the new Rupes. The first time I used my Rupes my reaction was a big fat grin! I couldn't believe how smooth it was with so much correction power.

edub pdx
03-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Hey all. I am debating which mark 2 rupees I should get, the 15 or 21? I am looking for a do it all polisher. It is for personal use nit business so I don't want to fork out a lot of money for multiple polishers. I need ONE that will do it all. I'm ok polishing by hand the small areas like side mirrors and A panels,

WRAPT C5Z06
03-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Congrats! The 15 Mark II is my favorite tool in the lineup currently so good choice, and thanks for choosing a RUPES polisher. Cheers!

Cutting power almost as good as the 21 Mark II?

The Guz
03-01-2016, 04:20 PM
You are going to like the Mark II. I enjoyed using it over the weekend.

Hey all. I am debating which mark 2 rupees I should get, the 15 or 21? I am looking for a do it all polisher. It is for personal use nit business so I don't want to fork out a lot of money for multiple polishers. I need ONE that will do it all. I'm ok polishing by hand the small areas like side mirrors and A panels,

Get the 15. I am an enthusiast as well. The 15 and mini are in my current line up.

The Guz
03-01-2016, 04:30 PM

Pulled this info from various threads.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/96916-got-my-first-rupes-3.html#post1321028

A number of things, size of the pads is a consideration, but I do believe the 15 gets underestimated in cutting power. Thats not to say that the 21 isn't the king of correction, but the gap between the two is much smaller than most people realize. The 15 loses the stroke battle, but it makes it up some of that deficit in speed.

Ultimately, if I need maximum correcting power its hard not to grab the 21, but in more moderate correction situations the 15 has more than enough power to get the job done and is a little more versatile thanks to the pad size. Also, consider that its not just the size of the pad that you're contending with. The additional orbit size means that you're covering a larger area - advantageous in large areas, but in tighter spaces a drawback.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/96321-power-vs-consumption-why-bigger-isn-t-always-better.html#post1309778

30% is the "official" number... with the 15mm tool though the increase will be more (probably closer to Todd's 40%) and this is simply b/c the LHR15 in the US was always a little detuned from its european counterpart, so the jump forward in MKII is larger, if that makes sense.

Dylan@RUPES
03-01-2016, 04:32 PM

The 21 is always going to have a slight edge, all other things being equal, in correcting power thanks to the additional stroke length. That being said I have yet to run up against the paint correction that the 15 Mark II couldn't handle. The 21 really starts to set itself apart in those HEAVY correction jobs or removing sanding marks.

If you want a single tool solution you're on the right track with the 15. The second consideration to make is the ES or the Mark II. The ES is still a great tool and with a reduced price point is now an economical way to get into RUPES large orbit polishers. Obviously there is a value to having the 30% bump in power of the Mark II, you just have to decide for yourself if you want to spend the extra money for the additional performance. If its just for your own personal use and on cars that are fairly well maintained the 15ES will have all the power you need.

Cabrio
03-01-2016, 04:43 PM
You are going to like the Mark II. I enjoyed using it over the weekend.

Get the 15. I am an enthusiast as well. The 15 and mini are in my current line up.

I'm totally on board with Guz. My 15 Mark II came about two weeks ago and I used it last weekend. I was totally blown away at how smooth it was. Between this and my mini, it's smooth detailing ahead!

edub pdx
03-01-2016, 04:48 PM
I don't need a lot of cutting power. All my vehicles are newer and kept in good condition. I need most versatile polisher. My polisher will just be for personal use

edub pdx
03-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks Dylan and others. I will get the 15mark II as you all suggest!😄

Cabrio
03-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks Dylan and others. I will get the 15mark II as you all suggest!😄

You will be quite happy!

WRAPT C5Z06
03-01-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm gonna go with the Mark II 21 with a 5" backing plate.

Dylan@RUPES
03-01-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm gonna go with the Mark II 21 with a 5" backing plate.

I would hope so... thats the backing plate size it comes with if you ask around (kidding)

Enjoy it! Give it a try with the stock plate as well and provide feedback on the difference in feel. I think so many times we (the RUPES guys) preach the 'don't mod' mentality, but rarely do we get any comparative reviews of how users like their tool modded vs. un-modded. Most guys mod and never try the tool as it was designed. For our own education its good to hear user feedback on the difference in feel - we already know people like the size for a number of reasons. :dblthumb2: