PDA

View Full Version : How many DA pads do I need for Pinnacle XMT 360??

Pages : [1] 2

JFunnyman
02-23-2016, 12:15 PM
I'm doing a correction/wax with XMT later this week and I was wondering how many pads Id need to use. I have a white single stage painted 04 Camry. I was given a set of the 2 cutting, 1 polishing and 1 finishing pad from Harbor Freight. I also have 2 orange, 1 white, and 1 black Lake Country CCS pad. Could I possibly use the HF orange pads with the CCS orange pads? I'm not necessarily looking to have a showroom finish, I just want to remove some light oxidation and scratches.

shagnat
02-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Hate to say this, but, you're not going to like the HF pads. They're pretty much junk. If you use them, be very very careful as they've been known to fly apart which could wreak havoc if your backing plate were to touch your car while the DA was running.

JFunnyman
02-24-2016, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't expect to get more than one correction out if them. I guess I'd just like to get a little bit of use out of them lol

Priyaka
02-24-2016, 12:51 AM
You can probably use about 6 cutting (orange) or 4 polishing (white) pads on the car. You will need to clean the pads after every section pass/panel either with a nylon pad cleaning brush and/or the "clean on the fly" method with a terry towel held against the pad as it rotates.

Here are some articles by Mike Phillips that go into greater depth:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81585-tip-clean-your-pads-often.html

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-24-2016, 12:55 AM
Ya the harbor freight pads are junk lol used them as a newbie and at 6 dollars a pop there not even worth it.

It's better off forking up the rest of the cash for pads that will last multiple jobs.

Your throwing money away.

However the finishing pads aren't bad to put wax on, I still have about 2 of them.

But for polishing work you need quality pads.

Autogeek offers every premium pad you can think of and even offer nice beginner kits like the lake country 6 pack. For a discounted price and if you wait for a sale you can even score more.

And if you just joined the forum you can use the forum discount code you got when signing up !

Mantilgh
02-24-2016, 09:29 AM
I don't want to discourage you, but single stage white paint is very hard and XMT360 is very low on the aggressiveness scale. Shoot for clean and shiny, defect remove may be difficult. The XMT360 should provide you with a good chemical and mechanical cleaning though. Helping to brighten up that older white paint.

JFunnyman
02-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Most of what I'm wanting to do is remove some light oxidation and dullness in the paint.

Jaretr1
02-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Most of what I'm wanting to do is remove some light oxidation and dullness in the paint.

You will do that. Do a test spot and see the side by side difference. XMT360 is fantastic at cleaning paint. It does do minor correction.

I would probably go for more polishing pads for XMT360 than cutting pads. XMT360 can build up on pads, so definitely get the brush to. Its super easy to work on the paint, it really does virtually disappear.

dcjredline
02-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Your question is worded wrong. You should be asking how many pads for a certain area not a certain product.

XMT or any other polish/compound don't specifically take a certain amount of pads to use. The size of the surface you are polishing does.

JFunnyman
02-24-2016, 02:30 PM
You will do that. Do a test spot and see the side by side difference. XMT360 is fantastic at cleaning paint. It does do minor correction.

I would probably go for more polishing pads for XMT360 than cutting pads. XMT360 can build up on pads, so definitely get the brush to. Its super easy to work on the paint, it really does virtually disappear.

I was reading this article, where XMT + orange CCS pads were used on oxidized Toyota white paint. The way that SUV looked is similar to how my car looks as well, but the oxidation is not as widespread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/30979-kiss-detail-extreme-makeover-toyota-highlander.html

Jaretr1
02-24-2016, 03:44 PM
First off, good to read reviews like that. I havent worked on a car with paint that oxidized so my experience has been more with the polishing pads. I guess you will get good results with the orange pad as well.

<- dont listen to this guy

Hambone
02-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Just used the XMT360 on a 2008 ML320 yesterday. It had been re-painted a couple of years ago at a local Econo Bake. The XMT has very weak abrasives and will correct very fine micro scratches. It is a save cleaner, correcting and sealer. All in one. I use it as my entry level wax on daily drivers and unstable weak paint jobs like the ML320. I used the Flex 3401 with a green Lake Country CCS pad, running at 3-4 on speed. With about 10-15 lbs of pressure. Great results. And no issues with the crappy paint job.. Customer loved it.

JFunnyman
02-24-2016, 03:51 PM
That and the KISS detail on the blue Neon are good reads.

As I said, mine isn't quite as oxidized as that, it still has some amount of shine on the sections that are. I'm a complete noob when it comes do DA. Would you go with orange pads?

Jaretr1
02-24-2016, 03:58 PM
try both pads and see what gives you the results you are looking for. Do a test spot!

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-24-2016, 04:01 PM
That and the KISS detail on the blue Neon are good reads.

As I said, mine isn't quite as oxidized as that, it still has some amount of shine on the sections that are. I'm a complete noob when it comes do DA. Would you go with orange pads?

All depends on how the other pad is cutting and finishing for you, if its not to your liking go up to a cutting pad.

And saying xmt won't work on single stage paint is not true.

I did a single stage lebaron that was so bad , and pretty much anything worked.

Over the counter junk like scratch out, nu finish, swirl remover. Etc.

They all worked and made the car very shiny.

Using a product like ultimate compound isn't a bad idea don't think cause it's over the counter , it won't work, if actually is a user friendly product , it cuts good and works like a wet Polish.