PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me a polish for this job

Eldorado2k
02-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, I'm about to begin an exterior detail on this 2012 VW Jetta. I'm not looking to acheive complete correction as the customer will most likely be going back to the swirl o matic car wash he normally takes it through.. I'm thinking either Meguiars Black Wax followed by sealant, or M205 on a polishing foam pad followed by sealant..

Here's what the hood looks like:

Here's what the vertical panels look like:

Full shot of the car before:

Let me know what you suggest! I'll check back after I wash it:)

VISITOR
02-21-2016, 06:19 PM
knowing that the owner will butcher the finish in no time, the black wax followed by a spray wax (two rounds) would be a good choice...

StephenK
02-21-2016, 06:25 PM
HD speed and be done with it

FUNX650
02-21-2016, 06:47 PM
Considering the vehicle owner's "Maintenance
Plan"...I'd just one-step it with the Meguiar's
Black Wax—which, as you know:
Is a real nice AIO!

Bob

AZpolisher15
02-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Yup, black wax (or Speed) and be done (if he's gonna flub it up in a couple weeks anyway). That way-- You're not wasting your time and he's not wasting his money. And you could suggest he apply a quick (spray) wax after he runs it thought his wash cycle next time. It'll Amp up the shine and enhance what you DID do for him.

cardaddy
02-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Yep... a quick AIO is all you really need to do. Megs D151 is both cheap, and VERY effective. While YOU may want to do more, knowing that the customer will not care for it, and even worse... doesn't know the difference... is the main factor when planning your course of action. ;)

TTQ B4U
02-21-2016, 07:06 PM
HD speed and be done with it

^^ this, especially if the owner is just simply going to tear it up again during it's first car wash. Sad really.

Zubair
02-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Any AIO.

MattPersman
02-22-2016, 06:37 AM
Well not any aio, as I sure wouldn't use klasse, or duragloss, etc. you want one that has cut...speed, menzerna, Wolfgang, meguairs, af tripple, etc

Eldorado2k
02-22-2016, 07:32 AM
In the end, I actually ended up going with what Visitor suggested. Megs Black Wax and followed it up with D156. I normally don't do that because I don't normally believe in "toppers" but I just couldn't see it being ok with the level of protection that Megs Black Wax leaves on it's own. D151 is even weaker.. So much so that I've got about 85% of a gallon that I'll probably never use again.

I started with M205.. But then the sun began to set and the humidity crept in and crashed my party. For whatever reason the thought of drying aids popped in my head and that's when I decided it might be a good time for the Black Wax since condensation was beginning to appear on some panels..

Well long story short, the Megs Black Wax worked amazing. It's the 1st time I've actually tried it on a Black car [go figure] and I've never had it perform this good. The M205 was meh.. It was what I kind of expected, dry. But the Black Wax filled.. Boy did it fill beautifully! Smells great too btw.

I knew I started late, so I almost convinced myself it passed the baggy test almost.. But I clayed a small area of the trunk just to see.
It turned out alot more contamination than I had thought. I began to see a noticeable difference as gunk was in need of removal.

I switched to the med. grade clay towel for the remainder of the car.

Here we have swirls, along with nice mixture of clay marring and towel marks from me having to use damp drying towels to overcome the condensation.

Same spot. After the Black Wax.

Here's a before close up on the hood, by far the worst panel:

After. I'd say it filled ok:

After shot of the passenger door.

Eldorado2k
02-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Well not any aio, as I sure wouldn't use klasse, or duragloss, etc. you want one that has cut...speed, menzerna, Wolfgang, meguairs, af tripple, etc

For this perticular job I didn't want cut, I wanted polishing oils to fill. No point in correcting the paint if it's just going to return to the swirl o matic car washes..