PDA

View Full Version : XMT questions

emmjay
02-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Hello all,

I recently received 2 products (out of 3) when I placed my last order which had the DP and Pinnacle freebies.

Products I received were
1. XMT #3 swirl remover
2. XMT carnauba glaze
3. DP tyre gel (if you must know, but not for the purpose of this thread :D)

Questions:

1. Are these products DAT or SMAT and how are they used as I am only familiar with Meguairs products and have gotten quite comfortable with them over time.

2. Which products would #3 swirl remover compare to if I were to compare to a meguairs product. I have M205, and the ultimate duo, swirl x with M205 being my go to.

**I do have some Sonax Nano Polish 3/6 that is apparently DAT which is why I have not used it yet either.

3. The Carnauba glaze says it does clean up light swirls and leaves a layer of protection behind...hmm....so then how is different to XMT 360? If it is, how so and what can it be used for?

TIA :)

emmjay
02-21-2016, 10:43 PM
:bump::bump:

emmjay
02-22-2016, 09:25 AM
:poke::poke:

Does no one use the XMT line?

70fastback
02-22-2016, 09:50 AM
I searched, and searched, and searched trying to help you out...the only thing I could find is someone mentioned XMT360 is SMAT...I know, that doesn't help you...sorry.

Well, here's a bump in hope that someone might see and have an answer

emmjay
02-22-2016, 11:41 AM
I searched, and searched, and searched trying to help you out...the only thing I could find is someone mentioned XMT360 is SMAT...I know, that doesn't help you...sorry.

Well, here's a bump in hope that someone might see and have an answer

Thanks man, appreciate it. Search led me nowhere hence I made this post

AutoAppeal
02-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Also interested in more info regarding these products as I received them as freebies as well.

ScottH
02-22-2016, 04:53 PM
I've been a big user of XMT and will try to help you with what I do know.

1. Are these products DAT or SMAT and how are they used as I am only familiar with Meguairs products and have gotten quite comfortable with them over time.
I use the polishes until they break down - usually after a healthy set of section passes at which point the product begins to disappear and requires minimal removal effort with a MF.

2. Which products would #3 swirl remover compare to if I were to compare to a meguairs product. I have M205, and the ultimate duo, swirl x with M205 being my go to. #3 is fairly aggressive in it's ability to level scratches without hazing/marring the clear coat. I have often gone from #1 to XMT360, or #3 to XMT Carnauba Glaze without #1 or #2 in between. In fact, have a look at the attached pics taken this weekend from a black BMW I did. The difference between the before and after was a single polish session using #3. This pic was taken BEFORE the XMT Glaze was applied. You can see the sizeable scratches were removed, and the paint is significantly more vibrant and reflective. I would consider it's cutting/finishing abilities most closely matched to that of M205.

**I do have some Sonax Nano Polish 3/6 that is apparently DAT which is why I have not used it yet either.

3. The Carnauba glaze says it does clean up light swirls and leaves a layer of protection behind...hmm....so then how is different to XMT 360? If it is, how so and what can it be used for?
XMT360 has a fine cut ability (maybe equivalent to XMT#1 from my experience) whereas the Finishing Glaze has no cut ability, but does have a mild cleaning ability. The Glaze may fill/hide minor swirls but it doesn't remove them. Both XMT360 and the Finishing Glaze do leave behind a layer of protection that beads water for months. The glaze has thicker consistency and tends to leave the paint feeling slightly smoother than XMT360. However, XMT360 removes minor imperfections whereas the glaze does not.

My general practice is one of these combinations depending on the condition of the car (after claying):

- Polish with an XMT polish (#1 - #4). Finish with XMT Finishing Glaze or carnauba wax.

OR

- Polish/clean with XMT360. Finish with XMT Finishing Glaze or carnauba wax. Generally for cars that require maintenance versus needing heavy correction.

... only once did I opt to use an XMT polish, XMT360 AIO and then glaze (or wax) in the same detail session. The one time I did it more to see how the result of the product layering (using XMT180 paste wax as the LSP).

ScottH

emmjay
02-23-2016, 12:25 AM
I've been a big user of XMT and will try to help you with what I do know.

I use the polishes until they break down - usually after a healthy set of section passes at which point the product begins to disappear and requires minimal removal effort with a MF.

2. Which products would #3 swirl remover compare to if I were to compare to a meguairs product. I have M205, and the ultimate duo, swirl x with M205 being my go to. #3 is fairly aggressive in it's ability to level scratches without hazing/marring the clear coat. I have often gone from #1 to XMT360, or #3 to XMT Carnauba Glaze without #1 or #2 in between. In fact, have a look at the attached pics taken this weekend from a black BMW I did. The difference between the before and after was a single polish session using #3. This pic was taken BEFORE the XMT Glaze was applied. You can see the sizeable scratches were removed, and the paint is significantly more vibrant and reflective. I would consider it's cutting/finishing abilities most closely matched to that of M205.

XMT360 has a fine cut ability (maybe equivalent to XMT#1 from my experience) whereas the Finishing Glaze has no cut ability, but does have a mild cleaning ability. The Glaze may fill/hide minor swirls but it doesn't remove them. Both XMT360 and the Finishing Glaze do leave behind a layer of protection that beads water for months. The glaze has thicker consistency and tends to leave the paint feeling slightly smoother than XMT360. However, XMT360 removes minor imperfections whereas the glaze does not.

My general practice is one of these combinations depending on the condition of the car (after claying):

- Polish with an XMT polish (#1 - #4). Finish with XMT Finishing Glaze or carnauba wax.

OR

- Polish/clean with XMT360. Finish with XMT Finishing Glaze or carnauba wax. Generally for cars that require maintenance versus needing heavy correction.

... only once did I opt to use an XMT polish, XMT360 AIO and then glaze (or wax) in the same detail session. The one time I did it more to see how the result of the product layering (using XMT180 paste wax as the LSP).

ScottH

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Scott. If the polish does break down, I guess it would be DAT then, but will have to try it out. I know M205 has a reallll long working time.

In what situation would a glaze be used if I may ask? If #3 corrects, can it be followed by ipa and then sealed with say Menz PL or is the only recommended product the glaze.

I've always polished with m205, done an IPA wipe and then sealed with Menzerna Powerlock.

Thanks again :)

ScottH
02-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Think of the glaze as an optional step when you really want to bring out everthing in your arsenal for a picture perfect job. You can absolutely polish with #3 and then go to a paint sealer. You could also polish with #3, apply a paint sealer and then wax. If you really want to go to town, You could also polish with #3, apply a sealer, then the glaze and then a coat of carnauba wax. The key is never to end with a polish and not apply something on top of it, whether a paint sealer, glaze or wax.

ScottH

ScottH
02-23-2016, 03:30 PM
I reealized my double negative in my last reply wasn't so easy to interpret. What I meant to say, after polishing always follow up with a sealant, glaze or wax. Never consider polish as a last step. Always apply a last atep product after polishing.

ScottH

emmjay
02-24-2016, 12:01 AM
Think of the glaze as an optional step when you really want to bring out everthing in your arsenal for a picture perfect job. You can absolutely polish with #3 and then go to a paint sealer. You could also polish with #3, apply a paint sealer and then wax. If you really want to go to town, You could also polish with #3, apply a sealer, then the glaze and then a coat of carnauba wax. The key is never to end with a polish and not apply something on top of it, whether a paint sealer, glaze or wax.

ScottH

I reealized my double negative in my last reply wasn't so easy to interpret. What I meant to say, after polishing always follow up with a sealant, glaze or wax. Never consider polish as a last step. Always apply a last atep product after polishing.

ScottH

Thanks Scott.

That clears a lot up! :dblthumb2:

I always do apply a sealant - but now know the place of a glaze.

However, would the glaze not interfere with the bonding of the sealant/wax if I were to follow the polishing step with the glaze, to bring out that ultimate "pop"?

Or would it be more of a case of polish with #3 and then apply EITHER:
1. a glaze or
2. a sealant or
3. a wax or
4. a sealant + wax.

ScottH
02-24-2016, 05:15 PM
It's all about the order really. Every sealant I've used was able to be layered. Some sealants may require a "cure period" before you can layer something on top of it. I know the XMT glaze can be layered with wax, and the glaze does not interfere with that.

Assuming wash/wax/claying is done, you can do any of these quite frankly:

1. Polish and glaze
2. Polish and sealant
3. Polish and wax
3. Polish, sealant and wax
4. Polish, sealant, glaze and wax

ScottH

emmjay
02-24-2016, 10:50 PM
It's all about the order really. Every sealant I've used was able to be layered. Some sealants may require a "cure period" before you can layer something on top of it. I know the XMT glaze can be layered with wax, and the glaze does not interfere with that.

Assuming wash/wax/claying is done, you can do any of these quite frankly:

1. Polish and glaze
2. Polish and sealant
3. Polish and wax
3. Polish, sealant and wax
4. Polish, sealant, glaze and wax

ScottH

Alright bud awesome! :D

The only thing that concerned me was the glaze on top of the sealant, seeing how XMT glaze has cleaning abilities, wouldn't it remove the sealant?

Either way, I doubt i'm going to use this product for now, at least for a while :thankyousign:

Josh Keller
02-25-2016, 04:39 AM
http://www.auto-geek.net/ag-pdf/xmt-book.pdf

Pinnacle XMT Series User Guide/Book. It outlines the proper steps to follow when using Pinnacle XMT Series Products.