PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Car Wash

tcope
02-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Have not used one for about 12 years now. Picked my car up from the airport after a long week and stopped for gas. I wanted the car nice for the weekend but was too tired to wash it that day. So I selected a wash. Drove up and waited. The doors opened and I drove in. As the doors started to close I felt even more uneasy. Trapped. I looked over and there were those buffing arm with the rubber fingers. Now I understood the gravity of my lapse in judgement. It sprayed who knows what kind of acid on my paint and those rubber fingers started slapping against my paint. Now I thought I was going to throw up. After that was done, sprayed some more crap into the car like it was birthday cake frosting. God only knows what it was. One more rinse and a quick dry and I took off out of there.

Now _I_ feel dirty!

FinishingTouchA
02-20-2016, 05:40 PM
"The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything."
-Theodore Roosevelt

jamesboyy
02-20-2016, 06:47 PM
I think we all understands the car wash horror though dont go beating yourself up cause the innerdetailer wanted a nice clean paintwork instead of various fallout, etc potentially scrubbing as you pick speed up just see it as a fork and come back the other way but never forget this moment

boomdone
02-20-2016, 08:46 PM
I have a dirty secret too. I go through automatic car washes 3-4 times every winter myself. I can't stand having a white/gray car from all the salt. Yea I get some swirls but I polish the car the first warm weekend in late March and keep it pristine the next 8-9 months. That's why we have DAs / assortments of polishes. I've finally just accepted it and I'm at peace with it now.

BillE
02-21-2016, 08:24 AM
I too am guilty of using the dreaded car wash. Touch-less ONLY.

During the winters, there just ain't any good way to keep the salt and gunk at bay. Also, "it" gets the under carriage.

Bill

Lt1xL82
02-21-2016, 10:25 AM
I found myself trapped in a car wash Christmas Eve when I realized this thing had spinning drum brushes bigger than trash cans! I sat there helpless hoping each time there was a pause that the torture was over!

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Automatic car washes suck. But sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. I would only use a touches if absolute necessary.

Vegas1
02-21-2016, 11:09 AM
I've been lucky this winter. Only had to use the wash bays for a high pressure hose down. Then a rinseless once I get home.

ScottB
02-21-2016, 11:55 AM
I shared a story several times in the way past ....

I was once told that in more than one occasions and as a joke, the local kids have gotten into car washes and tied metal bolts at the ends of these fingers and the old fashion twirley things used by car washes. Just thinking of a small metal object going round and round hitting the paint of even a rental car, made sure that I will NEVER visit a car wash again !

Cabrio
02-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Lol - I am having a lot of fun reading this thread. It could be a mini series...the dark confessions of an auto detailer enthusiast.

LEDetailing
02-21-2016, 01:13 PM
I've never used an automatic car wash on personal vehicle. Grew up with a heated auto garage at my dad's car lot. I have used countless touchless car washes.

Haven't been through a touchless in about six months. I use the self service bays and bring two buckets sealed with hot water. Those who live in the "rust belt" need to try this method. Wish I would have seen it years ago.

I totally get the anxiety of the auto wash's brushes scratching paint. I just looked at a 2014 Ford Fusion at a used car lot. The paint looked liked it had been sanded with 5000 grit. The finest scratches (all horizontal)down entire sides.

BradsDetailing
02-21-2016, 03:46 PM
I don't mind the pdq or other touchless car washes in my area during the winter. But, I will never use the ones with the rubber/foam fingers...I cringe thinking about it.

tedj101
02-21-2016, 04:18 PM
I too am guilty of using the dreaded car wash. Touch-less ONLY.

During the winters, there just ain't any good way to keep the salt and gunk at bay. Also, "it" gets the under carriage.

Bill

I do that too in the Winter. I run the car through the touchless to get the heavy stuff off, then I take it home and wash it...

<TED>