PDA

View Full Version : Autoscrub on matte (Frozen) clearcoat? Chemical alternatives?

tofu-
02-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Can the autoscrub the used on a matte finish? I understand clay is a no-no because it will leave residue, but the autoscrub is a rubber compound, so i'm not sure. I can't really test it on my car because i'd need to cover a large area to see if it's ruining anything.

I've contacted nanoskin, but they don't reply to my e-mails (over months of asking the same question... no exaggeration).

Otherwise, I see there is Dr. beaseley's matte cleaner/prep spray thing, but that is ridiculously priced for only 12oz, and I don't know if it really works or not.

What are my options? I have some hard water stains that I need removed. They aren't really visible when the car is dry, but I can see them when I wash the car. Water sticks to them and doesn't run off like the non-contaminated areas of the paint.

Thanks

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-20-2016, 03:18 PM
I would look into something more along the lines of Carpro Spotless. I wouldn't want to take anything remotely abrasive to frozen paint. Not sure if the Spotless will play nice with matte paint, just my thought... You can always reach out to Corey.

Mike lambert
02-20-2016, 04:12 PM
NO, before I would touch that I would contact one of the companies that deal in matte paint

GSKR
02-20-2016, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=Mike lambert;1350755]NO, before I would touch that I would contact one of the companies that deal in matte paint[/QUOTE:iagree:

GSKR
02-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Can the autoscrub the used on a matte finish? I understand clay is a no-no because it will leave residue, but the autoscrub is a rubber compound, so i'm not sure. I can't really test it on my car because i'd need to cover a large area to see if it's ruining anything.

I've contacted nanoskin, but they don't reply to my e-mails (over months of asking the same question... no exaggeration).

Otherwise, I see there is Dr. beaseley's matte cleaner/prep spray thing, but that is ridiculously priced for only 12oz, and I don't know if it really works or not.

What are my options? I have some hard water stains that I need removed. They aren't really visible when the car is dry, but I can see them when I wash the car. Water sticks to them and doesn't run off like the non-contaminated areas of the paint.

ThanksBeen reading and researching on frozen paint,in case I encounter a car with that added option.I would go to the dealer and ask the service director to get in touch with the Factory for a remedy.It seems that matte paint is worse taking care of than regular base coat clear coat.It states that you can't even use a microtowel on it.so I don't have a answer for you other than call dealer better safe than sorry.

tofu-
02-20-2016, 05:08 PM
Been reading and researching on frozen paint,in case I encounter a car with that added option.I would go to the dealer and ask the service director to get in touch with the Factory for a remedy.It seems that matte paint is worse taking care of than regular base coat clear coat.It states that you can't even use a microtowel on it.so I don't have a answer for you other than call dealer better safe than sorry.

The scary things in that popular BMW frozen paint video are complete and utter nonsense. The frozen paint has been super durable for me. Bird crap never etches and bumper taps wipe away.

I use microfiber on it all day long to wash and dry. No issue at all. Of course, be reasonable and dont scrub the same area with a dry MF towel. That will obviously polish it.

Despite the durability of matte clear coat, it isn't invulnerable to contaminants. I'm just not sure how to get rid of them for proper pre-sealant prep. I can't see them but I know they're there from the drying pattern.

tofu-
02-20-2016, 05:11 PM
NO, before I would touch that I would contact one of the companies that deal in matte paint

I have. NANOSKIN flat out doesn't reply, and Beasley's and swisswax just try to sell me their products without much more info beyond what I can read on the bottle.

I also don't want to spend over $35 for 12oz of spray on liquid to prep my car without being 100% certain it'll work. By 100% certain, I mean from real world experience by someone dealing with a similar issue.

GSKR
02-20-2016, 05:28 PM
I have. NANOSKIN flat out doesn't reply, and Beasley's and swisswax just try to sell me their products without much more info beyond what I can read on the bottle.

I also don't want to spend over $35 for 12oz of spray on liquid to prep my car without being 100% certain it'll work. By 100% certain, I mean from real world experience by someone dealing with a similar issue.Ive researched a safe remedy and it seem that other people with that same paint system have the same promblem or worse.If nobody reputable chimes in experienced on working with that paint,personally 35.00 may be a small price to pay without going crazy.Have you tried windex ?

GSKR
02-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Nano skin will marr the matte finish for sure.

GSKR
02-20-2016, 05:38 PM
Checkout jet seal from chemical guys.

GSKR
02-20-2016, 05:45 PM
I have a lot of remedies in mind,but it's not my car and will feel uncomfortable sharing them with you if something were to happen.chemical guys maybe your answer checkout some utube videos on matte paint protection and cleaning goodluck and let us know what worked for you.

tofu-
02-20-2016, 05:57 PM
I'll give the Windex a shot. The $35 for 12oz would be fine if it were more than what is likely the equivilant of a generic degreaser. The problem is that there's not much information on it other than "this stuff cleans great!"

Thanks for your suggestions and help so far :)

GSKR
02-20-2016, 06:36 PM
No promblem be sure to check out chemical guys video on matte finishes.

Mike lambert
02-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Larry from Ammo did an excellent video