PDA

View Full Version : D101 APC leaving a residue behind?

willowcat11
02-20-2016, 01:59 AM
Just wondering if I may be doing something wrong, or if you guys have experienced similar results. I use D101 10:1 when cleaning off old product off of my dash and vinyl on the interior of my car. When I go to wipe off my dash, it always seems to leave behind some faint white residue, that I end up cleaning off with a 50/50 IPA solution.

Is this to be expected, or do I need to correct something?

Thanks all, and enjoy the warmer Midwest weather this weekend!

Ray

jamesboyy
02-20-2016, 02:15 AM
That white residue is more than likely suds/foam cause D101 is high foaming though try an interior cleaner instead like Griots garage interior cleaner, 1z cockpit, etc

Eldorado2k
02-20-2016, 02:18 AM
Yup. That's the reason I brought up switching to Megs QID for certain duties in another thread. [same thread I asked about DP interior cleaner]

However, QID doesn't clean worth a squat though so I'm looking for something else.

Megs APC is good stuff, but for some reason it does leave that white residue on vinyl dashboards sometimes. Never leaves it on leather seats though...

Eldorado2k
02-20-2016, 02:19 AM
That white residue is more than likely suds/foam cause D101 is high foaming though try an interior cleaner instead like Griots garage interior cleaner, 1z cockpit, etc

It's not due to foam. Megs D181 Leather Cleaner does the same thing.

jamesboyy
02-20-2016, 02:23 AM
It's not due to foam. Megs D181 Leather Cleaner does the same thing.

I see i see, though haven't tried Megs D181 yet though, another thought could be that the cleaner is a bit too strong....

willowcat11
02-20-2016, 02:43 AM
The one thing is it does clean darn well for me, so an added IPA wipeoff is no sweat off my brow, since I would follow up with that anyway.

But one really cool thing is that, in my shipment from AG today they sent me a Sample of DP Interior Cleaner that you were talking about Eldorado2K. Smells great, and now I get to test it out.

The problem is, that it costs a HECK of A LOT MORE than using D101 at 10:1 dilution.

DP Interior Cleaner(32oz.)--------$20
Megs APC D101(Gallon)-----------$14

willowcat11
02-20-2016, 02:46 AM
Yup. That's the reason I brought up switching to Megs QID for certain duties in another thread. [same thread I asked about DP interior cleaner]

However, QID doesn't clean worth a squat though so I'm looking for something else.

Megs APC is good stuff, but for some reason it does leave that white residue on vinyl dashboards sometimes. Never leaves it on leather seats though...

Oh man you are right, QID don't clean worth a squat! But for it's purpose I guess it's cool. But lately I just use a Damp MF for my weekly or bi-weekly wipedowns.

Eldorado2k
02-20-2016, 02:50 AM
I see i see, though haven't tried Megs D181 yet though, another thought could be that the cleaner is a bit too strong....

Yup, I've been meaning to mix up some Megs APC@15:1 to see if it helps.

The one thing is it does clean darn well for me, so an added IPA wipeoff is no sweat off my brow, since I would follow up with that anyway.

But one really cool thing is that, in my shipment from AG today they sent me a Sample of DP Interior Cleaner that you were talking about Eldorado2K. Smells great, and now I get to test it out.

The problem is, that it costs a HECK of A LOT MORE than using D101 at 10:1 dilution.

DP Interior Cleaner(32oz.)--------$20
Megs APC D101(Gallon)-----------$14

Cool. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Btw, what's your exact mix for the IPA?

willowcat11
02-20-2016, 03:04 AM
Man, I haven't been to scientific about it really, and I may be using too much. But I just take some 70% IPA, and fill a small spray bottle with about 3/4 of that 70% then fill the rest up with water.

It definitely dries anything up pretty good. But I just have cheap CRV interior Vinyl, and i want to MAKE SURE it's fully cleaned off of everything.

Someone who has a nicer more expensive car might slap me in the face for using such a high dilution. I use those little spray bottles that IPA sometimes already comes in.

The Guz
02-20-2016, 03:41 AM
I for one wouldn't use IPA on the dash. I believe Nick Winn over on Meguiar's mentioned the same thing to you in regards to not using it as well on vinyl in your ultimate protectant thread.

Perhaps the IPA is also causing this in conjunction with the APC.

For those thinking that Meguiar's QID is going to clean heavy soil good luck with that. It's cleaning ability is light.

DP Interior Cleaner works well. Blackfire interior cleaner is another good one. Both have more cleaning power than QID from personal experience.

Eldorado2k
02-20-2016, 04:54 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the APC on it's own causing the white residue.. It doesn't usually happen if you're just doing a quik wipedown with a towel, but if you take a brush to lets say some door panel plastic switches that's when it tends to happen.. And if you want to experience it on a drastic level, try spraying Megs APC directly on a vinyl dash and using your steamer on it. I've been seriously shocked at the initial results, hoping I hadn't just ruined everything. Lol.
Luckily an immediate follow up with D180 made it go away.. But it took at least 2 applications before I felt safe again.

QID is supposed to help in the same way, but I only recently began using it for this purpose since I wanted to make use of a couple of bottles I've had sitting around for a while.. It works great on interiors that are already nearly clean, but I still think the scent is a bit off putting.

tedj101
02-20-2016, 05:42 AM
I for one wouldn't use IPA on the dash. I believe Nick Winn over on Meguiar's mentioned the same thing to you in regards to not using it as well on vinyl in your ultimate protectant thread.

For those thinking that Meguiar's QID is going to clean heavy soil good luck with that. It's cleaning ability is light.

DP Interior Cleaner works well. Blackfire interior cleaner is another good one. Both have more cleaning power than QID from personal experience.

I agree. I use DP Total Interior Cleaner and recently tried the Blackfire product as well. Both are standards for me now.

Perhaps the proof of the pudding is that I lent a bottle of the DP interior cleaner to my wife when she needed to clean up a mess she had created. (She usually doesn't use my car care products for reasons that I assume are entirely contrarian.) A couple of weeks later she said: "Where to you keep that interior cleaner?" VERY rare event!

<TED>

BMW435
02-20-2016, 08:48 AM
When I just have dust to clean off my dashboard, I use Meguiar's QID. But when I need a stronger cleaner, I use D101 (15:1) and then I go over it with a dampened towel, followed by a dry one.