PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Coatings Comparison 30 Day Update

FinishingTouchA
02-19-2016, 05:24 PM
I got this hood from a junkyard to practice touch up paint with my employees, after we were done practicing I decided I would polish it with FG400 and test a few different coatings on it. Left to right: Essence, CQuartz UK, Opti-Coat Pro, Gloss Coat, PBL, DP Coating, DP Poly Sealant.
This is an update after a month of sitting out in Oregon winter weather. Looks like Cquartz UK is performing the best, OC Pro a close second, and the PBL and DP Coatings are both already losing hydrophobic abilities. Looking forward to testing APC and wheel acid.

The Periscope replay will be up for 24 hours, make sure to follow me on there if you want to catch my next broadcast and ask questions.

Periscope Replay 30 Day Comparison Test (https://www.periscope.tv/w/aZeHqDF4ZUVXQU1seGVLUHd8MWdxeHZ6WmFwenF4Qj0AWvVghj LmnEi6KffeHVLHh9Q_xLOXg3Hlgsvuf9kr)

FinishingTouchA
02-19-2016, 11:30 PM
Anyone else perform any side by side tests like this?

Mike@ShineStruck
02-20-2016, 02:19 AM
I plan to do a coating comparison between glosscoat, WG uber, gyeon, pearl nano, and Max protect

Phaze Automotive
02-20-2016, 02:13 PM
I plan to do something similar but more comparing a quality sealant/wax to coating. I'll also take that chance to test the advertised 9h hardness.

I'm also disappointed in the loss of hydrophobicity in the PBL as that happens to be the coating I've been having difficulty with not only on my own car but a return customers car.

FinishingTouchA
02-20-2016, 05:30 PM
I plan to do something similar but more comparing a quality sealant/wax to coating. I'll also take that chance to test the advertised 9h hardness.

I'm also disappointed in the loss of hydrophobicity in the PBL as that happens to be the coating I've been having difficulty with not only on my own car but a return customers car.

I know how you feel, I love the installation and cost of PBL but it just isn't lasting on the vehicles I've installed it on. Gloss Coat is just as easy to install and from what I've seen it's a much stronger coating.
I just got a Ceramic Pro 9H sample I'll be testing compared to OC Pro on a black panel. I want to see the scratch resistance.
I felt the DP Poly Sealant would be a good quality sealant to compare so it's included in this test. The APC and Acid tests will really show the durability of these products.

AutowerxDetailing
02-20-2016, 10:52 PM
Wipe a section down with Reload. It will resist marring and scratches better than all of the other coatings you are testing.

AutowerxDetailing
02-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Especially in the "lighter test" you always see in the CP videos.

Eldorado2k
02-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Great. I didnt see this post until now and it's too late.

Calendyr
02-21-2016, 12:43 AM
Video says it's expired... this was posted yesterday... :(

Phaze Automotive
02-22-2016, 03:56 AM
I know how you feel, I love the installation and cost of PBL but it just isn't lasting on the vehicles I've installed it on. Gloss Coat is just as easy to install and from what I've seen it's a much stronger coating.
I just got a Ceramic Pro 9H sample I'll be testing compared to OC Pro on a black panel. I want to see the scratch resistance.
I felt the DP Poly Sealant would be a good quality sealant to compare so it's included in this test. The APC and Acid tests will really show the durability of these products.

From what I remember, some members have told me that you can just as easily do the lighter test on a freshly sealed car having similar if not same results as these 9h coating companies claim. I've already put in a order for the pencil hardness kit to test on coatings myself so I know what I'm truly selling to customers. I'm looking forward to your results.

FinishingTouchA
02-22-2016, 10:12 AM
From what I remember, some members have told me that you can just as easily do the lighter test on a freshly sealed car having similar if not same results as these 9h coating companies claim. I've already put in a order for the pencil hardness kit to test on coatings myself so I know what I'm truly selling to customers. I'm looking forward to your results.

Yeah, the "lighter test" is just the equivalent to paint transfer. I'm going to use a dirty towel among other objects and test the "swirlability" of the coatings.