PDA

View Full Version : OK...time to step it up; minor correction and polishing

BudgetPlan1
02-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Lotsa Good info here; about to jump into machine correction/polishing.

At the moment, thinking the 6" GG DA Polisher, 5" Flex backing plate, orange & White CSS pads to use with Wolfgang Duo...maybe try the new Visco clay for that initial portion of process. Gonna top with the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic.

Still have much time to decide as its not near garage based detailing season here in NE Ohio. Unfortunately, the more time I have to think about it, the more I go back and forth, mostly on the polisher to choose.

Have a black 2006 Mazda3 as a 'training" vehicle. Has probably only been clayed/hand washed/Zaino'd once in its life, back in 2006. If I screw something up while learning on this car, no big deal.

2004 Corvette, black, that's been maintained with Zaino over the years, paint pretty good for that age but needs some attention. Was professionally polished once in it's life, about 5 years ago. It's my wife's baby and if I goon it up, dead man walking.

2016 WRX, black, paint in good shape overall, some swirls as apparently Subaru environmentally friendly paint seems to get marred/swirled if you look at it wrong. My car, metallic flake is amazing when clean but paint seems so darn fragile. Will first try skipping the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover/orange pad on this one as it is relatively new and paint seems so touchy. May get away with it, may not...will have to try.

Main questions:

1. Is there really that much of a difference in PC/GG machines and the higher end ones, Flex, GG Boss? Don't mind dropping the extra $$ for the higher end machines if it will REALLY make a difference considering won't be doing much other than 3 cars once or twice a year? Question could also be phrased "What's the best polisher for an idiot (me)"?

2. Flat pads vs. CSS? Figure about 6 orange pads for correction, 4-6 white for finishing/glaze per car. Or whatever Mike recommended in his recent post. Mazda might take more as its been pretty neglected. Any real advantage to either for a new guy or is it just personal preference?

3. Best way to clean pads by hand? Tossing in bucket w/cleaner immediately when done using and further brushing/squeezing at end of job the preferred method?

3. Worth it to get 3" backing plates/pads for smaller areas? Vette is mostly long flat or gently curved panels, Subaru full of little vents, contours and edges.

4. Masking, just like in painting, is the least loved and most tedious aspect. Is it necessary to mask all emblems, keyholes, etc? Can't really see many unpainted surfaces on the cars...what happens if I hit some windshield molding while working? Irrecoverable or merely inconvenient? Or a pad killer?

5. Is a work light from a Home Depot type place good for inspection/work light? Halogen, incandescent or fluorescent best for this kinda work?

Loved the Zaino look, ease and durability over the years but they seem to be resting on their laurels and not moving into newer products. Has served me well but the durability of the new ceramic coatings intrigues me and I don't wanna apply them without correcting the paint as best I can.

Thanks for any thoughts...back to Chromecasting every Autogeek and other detailer videos on youtube.