PDA

View Full Version : CarPro Suede MF Cloths (16x16) Wash Before Use?

ugafiredawg
02-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Do these need to be washed prior to first use like traditional MF towels? Or am I good to go using them out of the package to buff off coating high spots?

Thanks!

parshooter
02-18-2016, 12:01 PM
I would wash them first, but then again, I wash EVERYTHING before using.

Mike Moore
02-18-2016, 02:44 PM
I wash Wash first.
NEVER use a fabric softener.
Wash only mf towels with mf towels. (no cotton etc.)
Use a liquid detergent. (I prefer one made for mf towels)

ugafiredawg
02-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Thank you! Sounds like a wash is the way to go.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-18-2016, 03:53 PM
The only reason to wash a microfiber towel is so you can get off any loose lint or loose fibers and maybe some contamination that might be on it.

However the short nap seude fibers don't lint, and aren't as good as picking up like plush microfibers.

I use them all the time brand new with no issues.

I also don't think using soap on the towel then using it for coatings is a good idea.

The washing process can make it harder, or have leftover soap residue inside.

Everyone has there own prefrence that's mine

ugafiredawg
02-18-2016, 04:13 PM
The only reason to wash a microfiber towel is so you can get off any loose lint or loose fibers and maybe some contamination that might be on it.

However the short nap seude fibers don't lint, and aren't as good as picking up like plush microfibers.

I use them all the time brand new with no issues.

I also don't think using soap on the towel then using it for coatings is a good idea.

The washing process can make it harder, or have leftover soap residue inside.

Everyone has there own prefrence that's mine

That right there, was my thought was and what I was alluding too. I think I will follow this mindset and use them fresh out of the bag. Maybe a quick snap of the towel or two to remove any large manufacturing debris/fibers.

Mike Moore
02-18-2016, 04:47 PM
I like to use a product like BLACKFIRE Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-microfiber-cleaner.html) to wash the mf towels.

The "short nap" mf towels IMHO are great for removing wax, sealants and coatings.

ugafiredawg
02-18-2016, 05:42 PM
I like to use a product like BLACKFIRE Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-microfiber-cleaner.html) to wash the mf towels.

The "short nap" mf towels IMHO are great for removing wax, sealants and coatings.

Yeah, I typically use WG's MF cleaner for my normal MF's. I just have had no luck with a lot of the short nap towels with regard to lint. I have tried quite a few AG sells. So I decided to give the CarPro suedes a shot. I do have some of the new blue edgeless en route that I may try out. My biggest issue is the linting that occurs when I attempted to remove the WG Perfekt paint prep. I used the Gold Jr. 'S and they were linting everywhere. Tried the cobra purples, same thing. So much so, that I basically wasted the WG Uber coating I attempted to apply, despite the lint. So, I have now started over and picked up the PBL paint coating that was recently on sale. I will re-polish the truck and give this system (with the PBL paint prep polish) a shot using the suede MF to buff off the paint prep and coating high spots. I am also going to use the CarPro applicator and cut some 4x4 sized suedes from the 16x16 sized ones to use with the applicator. Crossing my fingers I have better luck this go around. I hate that I have wasted $100 on the Uber coating because of the lint....

Having a black truck does not help the issue lol

Mike Moore
02-18-2016, 06:44 PM
Please excuse me I need to correct my reply.

I do not wash the CarPro Suede MF Cloths (16x16) before use. I no longer use the suede cloths for coating removal.
I use the suede 4"x4" for application, and use the CP Short Weave Microfiber Towel 16" x 16" for coating removal.
I "follow up" the CarPro 16" x 16" Short Weave Microfiber Towel with a Carpro 16" x 16" Boa Microfiber Towel.
I do this "follow up" to insure that all coating residue is removed and there are no high spots on the vehicle.
I also wear a pair of nitrile gloves for application and CarPro Plush Microfiber Gloves (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-microfiber-gloves.html) for removal.

Another Note: The 16"x16" towels can be immediately soaked in a diluted APC solution if you want to reuse them.
I also do not do this. Coatings can become "crispy" on the towels when they dry. I don't risk it. I throw the two away.
For me, it is not worth the risk to use a towel that could be "crispy" on paint. If reuse, you could use them on wheels etc.

I'm not taking away from any other microfiber towels or removal processes. This is what I use and what works for me.

tedj101
02-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I typically use WG's MF cleaner for my normal MF's. I just have had no luck with a lot of the short nap towels with regard to lint. I have tried quite a few AG sells. So I decided to give the CarPro suedes a shot. I do have some of the new blue edgeless en route that I may try out. My biggest issue is the linting that occurs when I attempted to remove the WG Perfekt paint prep. I used the Gold Jr. 'S and they were linting everywhere. Tried the cobra purples, same thing. So much so, that I basically wasted the WG Uber coating I attempted to apply, despite the lint. So, I have now started over and picked up the PBL paint coating that was recently on sale. I will re-polish the truck and give this system (with the PBL paint prep polish) a shot using the suede MF to buff off the paint prep and coating high spots. I am also going to use the CarPro applicator and cut some 4x4 sized suedes from the 16x16 sized ones to use with the applicator. Crossing my fingers I have better luck this go around. I hate that I have wasted $100 on the Uber coating because of the lint....

Having a black truck does not help the issue lol

I had the same problem with lint that you did, but I had a different solution. I waited for the Perfect to dry and then went over the car with a vintage MF towel to remove the lint. Worked fine and I followed it with the Wolfgang Uber .. Worked perfectly. No lint on the final surface.

shagnat
02-19-2016, 12:55 AM
As someone else said...... I was EVERYTHING before I use it. Think about the conditions which it was manufactured and shipped from overseas...... for one second do you think anyone handling the merchandise would give a rat's butt how clean the material is.... clothes, towels, rags, or anything else?!

Mantilgh
02-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Opps, wrong thread.

I do agree with the above.

I hadn't thought about washing these beforehand until this thread. How about just using a lint roller on them?

Ebg18t
02-19-2016, 12:24 PM
I didn't wash my CarPro suedes before using. I had no issues.

ugafiredawg
02-19-2016, 02:12 PM
I had the same problem with lint that you did, but I had a different solution. I waited for the Perfect to dry and then went over the car with a vintage MF towel to remove the lint. Worked fine and I followed it with the Wolfgang Uber .. Worked perfectly. No lint on the final surface.

Thanks for the tip. If I ever go back to the Uber, I will try this.

ugafiredawg
02-19-2016, 02:14 PM
I didn't wash my CarPro suedes before using. I had no issues.

Yeah, I am going to skip washing them. They don't appear to have any embedded contaminates. Being as thin and short napped as they are, any foreign dirt is easily seen or felt.