PDA

View Full Version : Compounding help?

Pages : [1] 2 3

willowcat11
02-18-2016, 12:31 AM
Will be taking advantage of the warmer weather this weekend. I am going to be using Ultimate Compound on my CRV with a DA. This is actually only my second time using the DA, and I am wondering what you guys do to get the real tight areas up against trim, and all other areas.

Do you end up just applying it by hand, or use a different tool?

Thanks all!

Ray

haris300
02-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Cover up the trim with an automotive masking tape. I use a Flex PE8 or Griot's Garage 6 inch polisher (with a 3 inch backing plate) for difficult to reach spots. Anything else I polish by hand.

Eldorado2k
02-18-2016, 12:43 AM
Taping off helps, but those tight areas can only really be done by either investing in a 3" backing plate & pads or old school, by hand.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-18-2016, 12:49 AM
Mask off, and depending what da you have.

You use a 3 inch back plate with a smaller pad to get in tighter areas.

Make sure you have an inspection light when your compounding to make sure your results are satisfactory to your expectations.

Alot of beginners including my self when I started, didn't use a light and when I would take it out in the sun I would be dissapointed.

The best polishers in the world, need to inspect results. Never just assume all the defects are gone.

Also ultimate compound on your Honda should be the perfect combo due to there soft paint.

Any more questions don't be afraid to ask !

willowcat11
02-18-2016, 01:26 AM
Thank you guys very much for your excellent help! And terrific advise with the light, and making sure it's done right NextLevelDtail!

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-18-2016, 03:45 AM
Thank you guys very much for your excellent help! And terrific advise with the light, and making sure it's done right NextLevelDtail!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94111

There's a review I did on a inspection light you can find at your local store like,

Wal mart
Home depot
Lowes
Target

WRAPT C5Z06
02-18-2016, 08:15 AM
If it's OEM soft honda paint, UC may leave some micromarring. Be sure to do a test spot and check your results with proper lighting.

roguerobot
02-18-2016, 09:26 AM
I just cover areas I am concerned about with 3M blue painters tape. Things like pinstripes, raise areas, windshield washer nozzles, etc. For really tight areas, I just do by hand, haven't gone to the expense of getting 3in backing plate and pads.

4u2nvinmtl
02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
I am wondering what you guys do to get the real tight areas up against trim, and all other areas.

Do you end up just applying it by hand, or use a different tool?

Masking tape the trim and proceed with the DA. Smaller backing plates and pads help for tricky areas like underneath the mirrors or the inside of the doors. Behind the door handle is normally done by hand.

Billy Baldone
02-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Where do you live? I'm going to roll the dice and take my snow tires off today I know that that will ensure it to snow at least one more time just like it did last year

willowcat11
02-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks again for everyone elses truly helpful posts as well. Billy Baldone, I'm in Chicagoland, and our temps will be almost 60 degrees Friday and Saturday.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks again for everyone elses truly helpful posts as well. Billy Baldone, I'm in Chicagoland, and our temps will be almost 60 degrees Friday and Saturday.

My shop is in Justice, if you ever need any help , or questions contact me!

Billy Baldone
02-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Oh I couldn't see where you are from on my phone. I'm in NW suburbs Woodstock. Good lipuck my friend

StephenK
02-18-2016, 05:24 PM
What pads are you gonna be using? What polish you gonna follow UC with?

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Before you use a cutting pad with ultimate compound try a polishing pad, to see if that gets it done.

Now just because you see results, doesn't mean that's the route to go.

If you have to do 4 section passes using this method vs 1 section pass with a cutting pad. It is better to use the cutting pad as introducing alot of heat to the paint is not good.