PDA

View Full Version : looking for help in Jacksonville, Fl.

StephenK
02-17-2016, 08:58 AM
my uncle sent me a couple pictures of his hood asking me what can be done about it. He said hood was replaced with a new hood due to an accident 4 years ago. He already went back to body shop and they are telling him that's just Florida weather. What do you all think this is? Pictures not that great so if anybody is in the area would you be willing to stop by and take an actual first hand look.

thank you

Paul A.
02-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Upon first look i was thinking clearcoat failure but can't really tell from the pic. I would want to try a paint cleaner first thinking it looks like something on the paint...almost like wax or polish that hasn't been rubbed off. Hopefully someone with more experience than me can take an in person look/see.

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-17-2016, 09:47 AM
If I were local I would give you a ride back from the body shop so they can paint it again....

Rod73
02-17-2016, 10:10 AM
What's the name of this bodyshop?

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2016, 10:13 AM
C'mon, this is a joke, right? Clearly somebody buffed that hood (you can see the patterns from the pad), it looks like they left the residue on to dry in the Florida sun.

GSKR
02-17-2016, 10:35 AM
my uncle sent me a couple pictures of his hood asking me what can be done about it. He said hood was replaced with a new hood due to an accident 4 years ago. He already went back to body shop and they are telling him that's just Florida weather. What do you all think this is? Pictures not that great so if anybody is in the area would you be willing to stop by and take an actual first hand look.

thank youlook no further hood is trashed,inferior paint products.

GSKR
02-17-2016, 10:36 AM
C'mon, this is a joke, right? Clearly somebody buffed that hood (you can see the patterns from the pad), it looks like they left the residue on to dry in the Florida sun.
I thought it was April fools day already.

cardaddy
02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
FLORIDA WEATHER.... ????
REALLY!!!!!!?????

That is CLEARLY some sort of "wax", "sealant", "cleaner wax" etc. that was applied (likely with a "wax spreader" and NEVER wiped off!

I had a guy a couple years ago that thought he was going to do his new little Chevy that he bought after getting out of the army. So he went to advance and got him a bottle of cleaner wax and went to applying and all over his bright red Chevrolet. Now rather than wipe it off as he was going he thought for some reason he needed to leave it on until he got the entire vehicle covered! I have gone by there when he started the process... And then 2 hours later I happened to be at the shop and there he was... with this frozen, solid, concrete of a mess... stuck to his paint so hard that it would have taken a chisel to get it off!!

He and two other guys were wiping furiously, with a brand new pack of ***unwashed*** microfiber towels that they had also picked up at Advance.... and it just wasn't coming off.

I told him he could apply more product and rewipe it, try to spritz it with distilled water to help, or even run next door to CVS and get a little bit of baby oil and put that on the surface. THEN start removing it using MULTIPLE towels along the way!

Of course he also let his sit in the Sun and it was in the nineties that day!!!

His paint, by the time the 3 of them got it all removed (some 5 hours after he started) looked like he'd taken wire brushes to it. :eek:

StephenK
02-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Found out more info. My uncle did use a "wax spreader" to try to buff it after the shop told him it was just oxidation and that is just what happens in Florida. He also said it looked just as bad before he even touched it

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Forum member:

Jacksonville Auto Detailing - Home (http://www.jaxdetails.com/index.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/95678-opinions-website.html

Or get Mike Phillips to use it for a Thursday night detailing project like this one:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-thursday-night-projects/98836-sign-up-1985-gmc-rally-van-thursday-night-february-18th-starting-5-00pm.html

sweatthedetails
02-17-2016, 06:58 PM
^^^Thats me. I can look at it but I have to agree with what's been said. Looks like product left on to bake. If you did not wax or polish this I would take it bake and have the body shop fix it.

www.JaxDetails.com
www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

GSKR
02-17-2016, 07:21 PM
It's been 4 years ago more than likely they won't do it pro bono.

custmsprty
02-17-2016, 07:55 PM
It's been 4 years ago more than likely they won't do it pro bono.

I agree, why should the body shop do anything for a poorly maintained 4 year old paint job. What was the warranty from the body shop? Look at the headlights, the wipers etc. They are trashed too. The body shop has no liability whatsoever in this deal.

Rod73
02-18-2016, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I'm with the majority on this. When I first saw this post I didn't get a good view and being a cell phone, I was like detailer/bodyshop strikes again. But this does look like a repainted vehicle that wasn't protected/maintained,etc and then in a effort to do damage control, cleaner wax applied and then not buffed off.