PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

idiveintoit
02-16-2016, 11:28 PM
I have no idea why these wheels look hazy/dull like this. I've tried a light polish on them by hand with no luck. When wet, they look like newer but once dry they look ehh. I think it's clear coat failure on the wheel. They are 2005 Chevy Tahoe wheels that have lost their luster. I know i can't fix the crazy marks that look like some sort of disease but possibly the shene? Any ideas would be appreciated.

vobro
02-16-2016, 11:55 PM
Looks like the clear coat has been compromised, not much you can do about it

BillE
02-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Agree with "vobro".

Bill

01GreyStangGT
02-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Clear coat going out. Had it happen to a GMC Jimmy that I had.

jamesboyy
02-17-2016, 01:17 PM
I agree with Vobro also though you can always invest in refinishing them if not then seal the wheels with a sealant and use an wax you don't really care for on the wheels in a wipe on/off method

idiveintoit
02-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks to all for replying. Is there a difference using a sealant before waxing the wheels? Would the sealant moisturize the clear coat in some way so that they wouldn't look faded?

jamesboyy
02-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks to all for replying. Is there a difference using a sealant before waxing the wheels? Would the sealant moisturize the clear coat in some way so that they wouldn't look faded?

Yes there is a difference cause sealant will protect the wheels finish longer/from more damage than a wax would though you may find some shine or moisturizing properties in the wax you choose especially carnauba based waxes also you could try meguiars number 7 glaze if any laying around

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Not much you can do but sand the clear and re-clear.

It's a 05 truck, so I wouldn't be afraid to do so.

If you take them off, sand then and paint you can get excellent results with a spray can, or a mini hvlp spray gun.