PDA

View Full Version : Dark spots/stains in classic single stage

StephensBPE
02-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Hey all,

I have a '71 Javelin with the original acrylic enamel paint, and I'd like opinions on the best way to deal with an odd defect that developed while the car was stored last winter--eraser-sized dark spots. I suspect they are related to whatever bug was eating away at the rafters of my dad's pole barn and leaving sprinklings of sawdust, but don't know for sure. I was able to remove some spots with hand applied rubbing compound, but became concerned about removing too much paint, and got googling to learn more. This began my journey down the rabbit hole of detailing, and eventually I found Mike's piece about restoring classic paint. I've clayed, and applied a couple coats of #7 with satisfying results. I've also tried tackling the stains with my dual action polisher and Chemical Guys V series compounds; my test spots are much clearer looking, but the stains remain.

So my question is: what's the best, most paint-preserving way to remove these spots? They appear to be IN the paint, not etched like water spots, or stuck on like tar or something. The paint is far from perfect (dings, chips, scratches, thanks to the original owner), but I'd like to have it looking as nice as possible. Thanks!

GSKR
02-15-2016, 07:13 PM
Pics are not great,I see a lot of textured orange peel.If it comes out by hand then continue you will not inflict harm by hand try a cleaner wax.using abrasive compounds or polishes May marr the paint leaving you with the first promblem resolved,now you have a second promblem.use a cleaner wax with not to much pressure and apply the wax on a microfiber towel using your index finger to clean the spots off.

tuscarora dave
02-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Poorboy's Professional Polish: Now Poorboy’s Professional Polish is creamy”, making it more user-friendly and a real pleasure to apply! poorboys (http://www.autogeek.net/pbpp16.html)

Poorboy's original Pro Polish has been best for me at removing or lightening stains in older single stage paints. It's the chemicals / cleaners in it that gets deep into the paint and removes a lot of stains that abrasive polishes / compounds don't remove. I suggest giving it a shot by hand. It has very little abrasives in it and relies more on the pad you choose for film build removal. I'd apply a liberal wet blob of it right on the spots and allow it to dwell for a length of time before wiping it back off.

tuscarora dave
02-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501 cleans, polishes, and shines gelcoat fiberglass boat and RV finishes. Duragloss durable boat and RV polishes. (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-marine-rv-polish--501.html)

This Duragloss # 501 seems to work well too at getting stains out of older single stage paints. It also has a good cleaner chemical in it however is a little more abrasive than Poorboy's original Pro Polish.

Poorboy's Pro Polish 2 is quite abrasive so I'd steer clear of that for your paint but it does wonders on the old chrome parts on classic cars like yours.

StephensBPE
02-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I've tried a cleaner wax already, but I'll definitely check out the Poorboy's and Duragloss cleaners. In retrospect, I'm realizing that I knew so little about paint when I removed those spots that I wasn't expecting any color to come off. I probably wasn't removing all that much paint.

Mike Phillips
02-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Love those muscle cars!

Be careful. Single stage paint is a LOT more porous than clearcoat paint and if the offending substance has penetrated into the paint trying to remove it 100 percent risks altering the appearance of the paint in these areas.

I'd recommend starting with an application of Meguiar's #7 to stabilize the paint and then start testing remedies.

:)