PDA

View Full Version : Noob first question about Meguiars UC

GMTech
02-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Just wondering if someone could help me out with Meguiars Ultimate compound. A couple of weekends ago I bought a new to me truck and noticed some swirl marks. So I did some research and came across AG and bought a PC and UC and UP. (Great info on the site and really appreciate Mike's videos.)#Spent about 12 hours polishing my truck after doing a test spot and found that an orange pad and UC did the best job, but it's got me wondering are the swirls just covered up from the UC and UP or are they removed to the extant that they wont be seen after many washes, provided I wash it properly.#

Anyone with experience with UP and UC #please let me know how your paint looks, say after a year or so. Is UC and UP loaded with fillers# or do they actually cut?
Thanks

dlc95
02-15-2016, 04:10 PM
No, they cut.

UC is extremely effective. The more you use it, the more you'll be able to do with it.

Same with UP, which is one of my all time favorite baseline products. When I use it with a blue Buff and Shine pad it performs like a dream cleaning up light swirl marks, and leaving great gloss on the paint.

If you look in my photo album you will find a thread "1000 grit vs Ultimate Compound". I pitted UC against 1000 grit, and UP against 2000 grit. I don't recommend doing those things, but I was curious. This reaffirmed my faith in these products. I just wish they were available on larger quantities.

GMTech
02-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Cool. Thanks.
Just made me nervous doing all that work in vein if I was just hiding them.

irvsmith
02-15-2016, 05:00 PM
Wiping down with an IPA solution will also help to confirm if the swirls are just filled or not.

UCDIE
02-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Wiping down with an IPA solution will also help to confirm if the swirls are just filled or not.

what he said^

You want to check the work after UC before moving into UP to make sure they're removed and not masked.

You can use alcohol mixed with distilled water (depending on %) or dedicated products like carpro eraser or gtech panel wipe

FUNX650
02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Instead of using IPA for a paint inspection
wipe-down...I like using other
"prep products", such as:
•Kleanstrip
•Prep-Sol
•Wurth Clean Solve
•3M Inspection Spray
•Meguiar's D114 @1:4 dilution ratio
•Menzerna Control Cleaner
•other assorted "wax & grease removers"

Next...you'll need a paint inspection light:
a swirl-finder light, as it were, to actually see
the results from using abrasive products/abrading
process(es).

The good ol' Sun also works as a swirl-finding tool.
(especially when it's directly overhead!)

Bob

GMTech
02-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Great! Thanks for all the good info. We'll be rechecking here soon.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Wolfgang Perfekt Prep is a nice product to remove and fillers.