PDA

View Full Version : Meg's Hyper-Dressing or Stoner Trim Shine ???

Pages : [1] 2

caudleej
02-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Ive been using Stoner Trim Shine on my vehicles and customers for quite some time. Engines, wheel wheels, mud flaps, etc. I use Meg's Ultimate Black on trim and mirrors. I seems to last really well and gives a factory look without the EXTREME shine other products like armor all leave behind. My question is I like that the Stoner's product seems to last longer and after a wash and cleaning it still looks really good and all I have to do is maybe touch up a spot or to. The problem is at 5.99 a can if I do an entire full size truck engine and all that's almost one can. Would I be better off using Meg's Hyper-Dressing because I can by it by the gallon? My only concern is that it will wash off after the first contact with water and cleaning because its water-based.

Thanks for the input.

therapy1
02-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Hyper dressing will last through maybe a wash or 2 at best on trim and a little better on tires in my experience.

fly07sti
02-15-2016, 01:06 PM
I also have been using Stoners trim shine forever. Much cheaper if you buy it by the case.

GSKR
02-15-2016, 02:02 PM
Ive been using Stoner Trim Shine on my vehicles and customers for quite some time. Engines, wheel wheels, mud flaps, etc. I use Meg's Ultimate Black on trim and mirrors. I seems to last really well and gives a factory look without the EXTREME shine other products like armor all leave behind. My question is I like that the Stoner's product seems to last longer and after a wash and cleaning it still looks really good and all I have to do is maybe touch up a spot or to. The problem is at 5.99 a can if I do an entire full size truck engine and all that's almost one can. Would I be better off using Meg's Hyper-Dressing because I can by it by the gallon? My only concern is that it will wash off after the first contact with water and cleaning because its water-based.

Thanks for the input.
Hyper dressing is good and adjustable and cheap.

VISITOR
02-15-2016, 03:33 PM
if you're doing multiple cars then hyper dressing would be a better option. personally, i like PERL better and it can be diluted as well...

drumteam2003
02-15-2016, 03:54 PM
I just detailed a customers vehicle with the hyper dressing and for the life of me, can't see how it's Better than stoner trim shine. I used stoner trim shine starting out but bought hyper dressing to save a few bucks and I am just not seeing the quality that I use to with stoner trim shine. For now, I will use up the hyper dressing and go back to stoner. Maybe I am applying the hyper dressing wrong but who knows...

shagnat
02-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Hyper dressing will last through maybe a wash or 2 at best on trim and a little better on tires in my experience.
That doesn't make any sense. Tires would be the first thing to lose any shine/protection.Im the MAN

Pats300zx
02-16-2016, 09:37 AM
I would say go with Hyperdressing as it can be used on engine, wheel wells, and tires. You can't beat it for the price.

Eldorado2k
02-16-2016, 12:36 PM
I use both Hyper Dressing and Megs D4510 [which is similar to Stoners Trim Shine]

IMO they're both different enough to earn a spot in my bag.. i.e. I use Hyper Dressing on the tires, but use D4510 on the wheel well guards.

Also, if I ever run into black honeycomb grills, the aerosol is way more convenient than Hyper Dressing could be.. Wheel wells? Even @ 1:1 Hyper Dressing beats using an aerosol.. If cleaning engines is what you do then you really oughta have Hyper Dressing in your toolbag.
At the end of the day I wouldn't want to be without either, but if you had Hyper Dressing you might find yourself saving the aerosol for those times when you really need it.

FUNX650
02-16-2016, 01:37 PM
My question is
I like that the Stoner's product seems to last
longer and after a wash and cleaning it still
looks really good and all I have to do is maybe
touch up a spot or to.

The problem is at 5.99 a can

Would I be better off using Meg's Hyper-Dressing
because I can by it by the gallon?
It's often difficult to tell someone to change-up a
product, for which they have nothing but high praise,
just in order to save a few coins.

In this case, though, changing to Meguiar's Hyper
Dressing—with its comparable end results, cost
savings, and versatility—is more than justifiable.

JMO.

Bob

Calendyr
02-17-2016, 12:56 AM
What dilution are you using Hyperdressing at? If you are dilution a lot (say 1:4), try a more concentrated application and see if you like it better.

I don't use HD on tires, I prefer to use Opti-Bond non diluted. But for interior use I think HD is pretty fantastic. I use it at 1:4 since I am usually looking for a natural look. I don't know if Stoner's would give a better result, but I am very satisfied with HD.

For tires and wheel wells I would likely go undiluted or 1:1 dilution. Would still be much less expensive than 5$ per small can you are paying for Stoners.

PA DETAILER
02-17-2016, 08:35 AM
I use HD 1:4 on my wells. A gallon will last long. At this dilution it is also great on engines. I never messed with it on tires. About ready to order another gallon for spring/summer.

caudleej
02-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys. I will definitely keep the stoners around for those situations that need it but I'm going to get some hyper-dressing and all season and do some testing on my personal vehicles and decide what I like best.

drumteam2003
02-20-2016, 12:13 AM
I have a problem with the finish of HD. It doesn't dry smoothly, it leaves kind of a blotchy here and there look. I use microfiber towels so I wonder if that is the issue...

AllenK
02-20-2016, 12:24 AM
Stoner's Trim Shine is a god send when dealing with the honeycomb grills on my wife's G8!

It is a fairly durable product at a very reasonable price,and it looks good also.