PDA

View Full Version : removing leather dressing?

Pages : [1] 2

Matt@Revive
02-15-2016, 10:26 AM
one of my monthly customers uses Meguiar's interior wipes on his Lamborgini dash a few weeks ago and left nasty streaks of shine all over his dash and seats. he and i believe leather should have a natural dull (not glossy) look, so he asked if i could remove the dressing. after using multiple different leather cleaners i only managed to "level out" the dressing, it's now more blotchy than streaky. i am hesitent to use strong APC or alcohol based productes do to the high price tag of repairing damaged or discolored leather on a $300,000 car.

my next thought is to order on Carpro Inside or Sonax leather cleaner, but i am worried it wont touch the dressing.

this is a quick picture it took, you can see the swirled mess of shine on the center of the dash.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/ridenaked600/Mobile%20Uploads/20160212_185825.jpg (http://s995.photobucket.com/user/ridenaked600/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160212_185825.jpg.html)

Heisenberg
02-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Inside has some pretty good cleaning properties. I used it full strength with a brush on my dash to test it and it definitely knocked down my application of Ultima Interior Guard.

I've been using DP APC 1:10 on Leather since it came out and I've never had any problems with it and I always check for colorfastness, but I would be cautious too. I'll be subbed to see what others have to say.

GSKR
02-15-2016, 10:45 AM
as a safety precaution my personal opinion would be warm water and a little bit of hair shampoo,that should remove it with no chemicals applied.one towel for cleaning one for rinse and dry.

FUNX650
02-15-2016, 11:56 AM
No doubt in my mind that Leather Master (LM) has
the perfect leather cleaning product for this project.
(As well as the perfect follow-up Protection product.)

•And, IMO...just to be absolutely sure of the correct
LM product selection (considering the cost of any
repair/replacement of this vehicle's cabin materials):

-I would personally call
Uniters North America "800 number"
for their expert advice.

Bob

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-15-2016, 12:02 PM
I would give Optimum No Rinse mixed up at rinse less wash solution dilution a shot. Soak a towel and wrings out. I've gotten some pretty gnarly things out of seats/dashboards with that and I don't see it being unsafe on anything other than uncoated leather.

You could also try Megs degreaser at weak dilution and a scrub brush. Test on an inconspicuous area, maybe passenger side low down.

FUNX650
02-15-2016, 12:11 PM
I would give Optimum No Rinse mixed up at
rinse less wash solution dilution a shot.
Soak a towel and wrings out. I've gotten some pretty
gnarly things out of seats/dashboards with that

and I don't see it being unsafe on anything
other than uncoated leather.

You could also try Megs degreaser at
weak dilution and a scrub brush.

Test on an inconspicuous area, maybe passenger side low down.
"Coated Leather"...in a $300K vehicle;
Would Lamborgini stoop so low? :eek:

Bob

GSKR
02-15-2016, 02:20 PM
one of my monthly customers uses Meguiar's interior wipes on his Lamborgini dash a few weeks ago and left nasty streaks of shine all over his dash and seats. he and i believe leather should have a natural dull (not glossy) look, so he asked if i could remove the dressing. after using multiple different leather cleaners i only managed to "level out" the dressing, it's now more blotchy than streaky. i am hesitent to use strong APC or alcohol based productes do to the high price tag of repairing damaged or discolored leather on a $300,000 car.

my next thought is to order on Carpro Inside or Sonax leather cleaner, but i am worried it wont touch the dressing.

this is a quick picture it took, you can see the swirled mess of shine on the center of the dash.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/ridenaked600/Mobile%20Uploads/20160212_185825.jpg (http://s995.photobucket.com/user/ridenaked600/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160212_185825.jpg.html)
I would abort the opportunity of taking on a responsibility and making calls to find out how to remove.He did it and I know he is a customer but sometimes you just have to be straight up and he will admire that.

GSKR
02-15-2016, 02:26 PM
I would give Optimum No Rinse mixed up at rinse less wash solution dilution a shot. Soak a towel and wrings out. I've gotten some pretty gnarly things out of seats/dashboards with that and I don't see it being unsafe on anything other than uncoated leather.

You could also try Megs degreaser at weak dilution and a scrub brush. Test on an inconspicuous area, maybe passenger side low down.using a apc and a scrub brush on the dash,would be catastrophic.use more of a neutral non ph solution to deal with that.warm water with one pin drop of hair shampoo on a very damp wash cloth will do the trick.:nomore:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-15-2016, 02:29 PM

You could also try Megs degreaser at weak dilution and a scrub brush. Test on an inconspicuous area, maybe passenger side low down.

This was my first thought. Or Megs D114 or Ultima at rinseless dilution.

GSKR
02-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Inside has some pretty good cleaning properties. I used it full strength with a brush on my dash to test it and it definitely knocked down my application of Ultima Interior Guard.

I've been using DP APC 1:10 on Leather since it came out and I've never had any problems with it and I always check for colorfastness, but I would be cautious too. I'll be subbed to see what others have to say.To risky to try on a 300k car,if he ruins it he may just pack it in.

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-15-2016, 08:47 PM
"Coated Leather"...in a $300K vehicle;
Would Lamborgini stoop so low? :eek:

Bob

I'm honestly not sure Bob. It's on the dashboard and should theoretically be designed to withstand a constant barrage of sunlight. How long would an uncoated leather last in that situation? That's why a test spot is always a good idea.

The Guz
02-15-2016, 08:49 PM
Which Meguiar's wipes were actually used? Quik Interior Detailer? Natural Shine?

FUNX650
02-15-2016, 09:16 PM
I'm honestly not sure Bob. It's on the dashboard and should theoretically be designed to withstand a constant barrage of sunlight. How long would an uncoated leather last in that situation? That's why a test spot is always a good idea.
How long?

Very close to its intended service-life:
The windshield glass will probably block over
90% of the sunlight's damaging rays from
ever harming the dash.

And...
It's not just the dash that's been damaged
from using the wipes.

Bob

rbss
02-15-2016, 09:43 PM
I think Ultima Interior Shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html)should clean that up. You can use it on just about everything in the interior. I have cleaned some nasty interiors including leather. I was confident enough to use it in a Ford Gt no issues.

Heisenberg
02-15-2016, 11:05 PM
To risky to try on a 300k car,if he ruins it he may just pack it in.

Yeah, that was my thought too - err on the side of caution. Probably would just use a dedicated leather product like Bob suggested.