PDA

View Full Version : XMT 360 - worth a claybar beforehand?

Pages : [1] 2

Modena AL
10-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll be using XMT360 for the first time on my Mini tomorrow to get ready for a car show. Is it worth claying before hand? I know with some polishes I've used clay made everything easier to use. The last time I clayed my car was end of april I think. The car kept pretty tidy for the most part for shows but it's got some water spots (hard water here) and a few wax spots I missed while buffing, all of which I think the xmt360 would clean up anyway. Let me know because it would save some time so I can clean the wax off my stupid plastic trim... trying pad cleaner this time

I'll also be following the xmt360 up with Souveran :righton:

6LS2
10-04-2007, 10:19 AM
How does your paint feel?

Modena AL
10-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Feels nice and smooth. When clean I can rub my finger over it and feel nothing...

Guess I kinda answered my own question there, I needa quit detailing all these daily beaters. I guess my next questions would be if there is anything on there that I haven't seen would XMT clean that off?

6LS2
10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
If your paint feels smooth now, after 360 it'll feel even better. XMT 360 will clean your paint, polish it, and seal it. If you have any light swirls, water spots etc, 360 will remove it. I also suggest you at least wait 12 hours after 360 then apply Souveran.

J&L Detailing
10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
what is the reason for the wait?

Bonifax
10-04-2007, 11:39 AM
what is the reason for the wait? XMT 360 combines correction, cleaning, and sealing in one product, and because of this "sealing" action you must let it cure prior to aplying a Wax.

Modena AL
10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. I won't bother with a clay bar then. I had planned on letting it cure for a bit before I applied the wax, but only for about an hour or two. i might be able to get away with waiting 12 hours tomorrow, but that would put me waxing in the poorly lit garage at night, which I don't like to do.

Modena AL
10-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Could I get away with not waxing at all and wait to do that until another day (within a week)? or would this be a no-no. I haven't used a all in one product before so I'm unsure about that. time constraints might not let me wax afterwards because I wasn't aware it had to cure for so long. Unless I get up a 6, wax, then drive to the show 30 miutes later (my club is hosting so I have to be there early)

Better lighting in the garage is on my x-max list so I can work away all trhough the night :buffing:

D
10-04-2007, 12:14 PM
XMT 360 doesnt have a cure time. Modena that would be fine waxing later. But you need to do the plastic baggie test, not just run your finger over the paint.

Modena AL
10-04-2007, 12:22 PM
So it would be ok XMT360, then clean the interior and wax a few hours later? That helps with my time constraints immensly.

What's a plastic baggie test I've never heard of this before :( A search didn't bring back anything. I thought I was a pretty knowledgable detailer until I started reading things here. I'm assuming you run the baggie over the paint and it shows you what is really on there?

D
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
You got it. You need clay since you havent done it since April. All the dirt left on the paint after wash will be ground into the clear as you polish. Like you said, it can make polishing harder if you dont clay. Claying will also leave the surface a lot smoother.

Do it, shouldnt have to think twice about it.

6LS2
10-04-2007, 01:03 PM
XMT 360 doesnt have a cure time. Modena that would be fine waxing later. But you need to do the plastic baggie test, not just run your finger over the paint.

who said 360 doesnt have a cure time?

gohandbz8
10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
What's a plastic baggie test I've never heard of this before :( A search didn't bring back anything. I thought I was a pretty knowledgable detailer until I started reading things here. I'm assuming you run the baggie over the paint and it shows you what is really on there?

Simply put, the bag test is using a plastic bag, wrap it around your hand and run it through the paint. The bag actually amplifies the surface contaminent feel.

In some of my details, I have applied wax immediately after 360 and everything seemed to work fine. Just thought I let you know.

D
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
who said 360 doesnt have a cure time?

Pretty much everyone that uses it. Including Justin who loves it, if Im not mistaken. Try doing a search on it.

6LS2
10-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Pretty much everyone that uses it. Including Justin who loves it, if Im not mistaken. Try doing a search on it.

Well I dont see anywhere on the description that it has no curing time.. And I was speaking to someome that works at AG and he said it does have a curing time ( 12-24 hours )