PDA

View Full Version : how do i restore PVD chrome wheels?

ZombieSoldier
02-14-2016, 10:33 PM
I have PMF Novakane chrome PVD wheels. They are about 4 years old now and are starting to show their age. They are staining and some very small pits. How can i clean them and polish them to bring their luster back? I try to clean them as often as possible, but to no avail... I want to get my bright luster back without having to resort to getting them refinished. Please help!

Rsurfer
02-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Once chrome starts pitting, it's time to refinish. Using a chrome polish will get some luster back, but because chrome is bright, it will show the pits and deep scratches.

jimd@mothers
02-15-2016, 08:16 PM
PVD is a unique finish that is much different than chrome plate, but it has some similarities in that there is no way to restore the luster of the reflective finish itself if it gets damaged.

But with PVD, the good news is you can polish the clearcoat on top, where a lot of the defects may be removable.

One PVD manufacturer recommends our California Gold Scratch Remover #08408 to remove surface defects. It should also remove surface stains. And I would follow with a wax, like Mothers California Gold Synthetic Wax because its high-temperature resistance makes it good for wheels.

Do not use a chrome or metal polish on PVD wheels -- they are clearcoated.

Any defects or pitting that has breached the clearcoat and damaged the reflective finish will be permanent, but cleaning-up the clearcoat should help.

Post photos if you can! :)

ZombieSoldier
02-16-2016, 01:48 PM
will do. i just gotta get time to clean that truck. been so busy with my business, that my truck has been neglected. hell i havent driven it since before christmas

asianisafish
02-16-2016, 03:16 PM
0000 steel wool if it's just straight chrome has worked for me

Ebg18t
02-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Media blast them, then powder coat them a new color.