PDA

View Full Version : Can you reuse a claybar?

mycarmycar28582
02-14-2016, 01:34 PM
If so then how?

brad911
02-14-2016, 02:24 PM
We'll need a little more info....

As in you dropped on the ground?
It's been used for 5 years?
It got flushed down the toilet?
It got run over?

van185
02-14-2016, 03:45 PM
For the most part yes. As long as you have taken care of it. If you drop it and it's got dirt on it then you might get a new one. As far as just claying a vehicle you can remold it and normally us it again. I've got a clay bar that I've used numerous times. I normally store it in a case and spray it with clay lube before putting it up. When it starts to look dirty I normally replace it to avoid the chance of creating scratches in the paint.

Mike lambert
02-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Unless you dropped it you can use it a number of times. Resold it and flatten it out when you get a clean side, when you can't get a clean surface it is done. Put it away dry as some clay is broken down being stored wet.

MarkD51
02-14-2016, 05:50 PM
I would suspect, the more you use a clay bar, the greater the chance you will mar your paint up. That no matter how many times you fold, knead, the bar becomes so loaded with contaminants, all you are doing is spreading this all over your paint, glass, etc.

Sadly, clay bars today seem to cost a Kidney, and as for the Nano Sponges, I have two, and I think they are total crap. I cannot get them to work like clay does, life is too short for me to spend an hour on just the hood, and using a 1/2 gallon of lube to see very minor improvements.

That I'll say the clay bar still reigns supreme in my book. Just don't drop them, because you just flushed that money right down the toilet.

I'd say one use, maybe two, then toss that Bar, open another. It of course depends, but on average, I'd say anytime you are resorting to a clay bar, you vehicle is probably quite monkeyed with crud.

See the vids with Mike Claying? I'd say in those instances, one use, then toss.

Mike lambert
02-14-2016, 07:21 PM
If you use it once you are wasting a huge amount of money

MarkD51
02-14-2016, 09:50 PM
If you use it once you are wasting a huge amount of money

Well sure, I agree with you on that. I try myself to get more than one use from a Clay Bar. I'm not so rich, and plus I'm not in possession of show winning vehicles.

Priyaka
02-14-2016, 09:57 PM
You could also use Blackfire Clay Cleaner to extend the life of the clay:

BLACKFIRE Clay Cleaner & Extender, detailing clay bar cleaner, extend clay bar (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-clay-cleaner.html)

Here is a good review showing how it is used:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/70774-blackfire-clay-cleaner-extender-aka-clay-life-saver.html?highlight=clay+cleaner